Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-12-2020, 09:17   #1

Boat: Irwin 30 Citation
Give Highwayman's Hitch Knot a Try for Fenders

With a little practice I think everyone, I mean everyone, will prefer the Highwayman's Hitch for tying your fenders to the lifeline.

Their are two advantages to the Highwayman's Hitch for boat fenders.

1. When removing your fenders just pull up with one hand and walk away. Its fast easy to remove your fenders from the lifeline with one hand and less likely to drop your fender in the water. With practice its just as easy to tie as any other Fender slip knot.
  2. The highwayman's hitch has been used for years when robbing banks on horse back. Trust me, this is the only knot endorsed by Butch Cassidy and Sundance Kid.

Watch both these videos. At the end which knot is easier to remove a fender with one hand and less likely to drop the fender?

upstateny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2020, 09:25   #2

Boat: Morgan 382
Re: Give Highwayman's Hitch Knot a Try for Fenders

The main advantage of a round-turn and 2 half hitches (for fenders) is that you can adjust the height of the fender, and the height doesn't change as you finish the knot. That makes it easy to position the fenders low, but still out of the water. This knot looks like the height would be difficult to get right.

Otherwise it is a cool knot, but I wouldn't use it for a fender. I'm not normally in a hurry to untie my fenders.
Old 29-12-2020, 09:33   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholybee View Post
The main advantage of a round-turn and 2 half hitches (for fenders) is that you can adjust the height of the fender, and the height doesn't change as you finish the knot. That makes it easy to position the fenders low, but still out of the water. This knot looks like the height would be difficult to get right.

Otherwise it is a cool knot, but I wouldn't use it for a fender. I'm not normally in a hurry to untie my fenders.
Yep, that is why we use a round turn and two half hitches for fenders. Though we tie to the stanchions and not the the lifelines. We are not in a hurry removing the fenders either and it really does not take that long with the round turn and two half hitches. What takes times is putting the fenders in "storage."

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2020, 09:49   #4

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannc View Post
Yep, that is why we use a round turn and two half hitches for fenders. Though we tie to the stanchions and not the the lifelines. We are not in a hurry removing the fenders either and it really does not take that long with the round turn and two half hitches. What takes times is putting the fenders in "storage."
Later, Dan
Agree with Dan,
1. fenders shouldn't be tied to wire lifelines. Stretches the line and can bend and weaken (metal fatigue) the stanchions.

2. a round turn and two half hitches means that the weight of the fender is taken by what you're tying it to. Whereas with the highway(wo)man's hitch
you continue to take the weight yourself.

3. when undoing, it might be really easy, but again with the sudden weight release could easily drop the fender.

I can though add, there are often times when fenders need to hang horizontally. And I see the hitch as very useful for the 'other' end.
Sometimes being able to release an end quickly and easily would be an advantage (ie pitch black night when you're rafted up to another boat and you need to adjust fender placement). When released the fender just drops and weight is taken by the other rope. Cool
Old 29-12-2020, 13:41   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Agree completely with wholybee, dannc and grantmc!
(Aka Warren, Dan, Grant)
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2020, 08:51   #6

Boat: 1988 Sunward 48' Ketch

I like the looks of that knot, and I’m willing to give it a try.
However, we avoid tying fenders to lifelines or to the top of the stanchions for the reasons already mentioned. Whenever possible, we tie them to the bottom of the stanchions at deck level.
dlane1181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2020, 08:56   #7
PHR

Boat: 2008 Hunter 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholybee View Post

Same here. I leave them tied most all the time. West Marine sells some gizmos that might allow me to easily move the fenders with a clip on thing. I don't need those either. Cool knot to add to one's knowledge.
PHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2020, 09:04   #8

Boat: Nauticat 43 ketch

I like and use the Highwayman's Hitch for my dinghy painter. For security I insert the tail through the loop so if the knot were to slip while I'm not around it would still be secure. Easy enough to pull the tail out before departing, though in truth, it's never slipped!

Tip- Remembering this sequence helps me tie this knot correctly- "Bight - Standing end - Running end."

It is very useful, especially in wind and waves in a bouncing dinghy, to be able to release quickly with one pull and we're on our way.

The highwayman's knot is hard to tie to a precise length for fenders, and I wouldn't use it at all except for a temporary stop, such as a fuel dock.

As a 20 ton heavy cruiser, a clove hitch and 2 half hitches is easy to tie, very secure, easy to adjust length precisely, and stands up to the force of the boat bouncing against the dock as well as entering and leaving the dock.

When you see them, do you ever wonder how a fender gets loose and lost? A slip knot is my bet!
SV__Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2020, 09:14   #9

Boat: Nauticat 43 ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHR View Post
Same here. I leave them tied most all the time. West Marine sells some gizmos that might allow me to easily move the fenders with a clip on thing. I don't need those either. Cool knot to add to one's knowledge.
Notice how most of those gizmos require use of the lifelines? Such a bad idea.

There is one that I know of that fits on a rail, but only big, expensive power boats seem to be able to use them.

I love convenience as much as the next guy, but when it comes to tying fenders I've learned and accepted that it's better to impress others with your salty ability to quickly tie fenders than to shorten the life of your lifelines.
SV__Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2020, 09:23   #10

Boat: Homemade steel cutter

The Highwayman's Hitch is no good for fenders, but for tying up a boarding ladder it can give easy access to a person in the water.
wguinon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2020, 09:24   #11

Boat: Alerion Express 28

I guess I am the only one who still uses a clove hitch...easily adjustable and can finish off with a half hitch for more security. Haven't lost a fender yet but I have picked up a few on the water.
DEAN2140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2020, 10:21   #12

Boat: Catalina 30

NauticEd has a nice YouTube video on how to tie your fender clove hitch FAST:

sinnerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2020, 11:58   #13

Boat: Gozzard 36

If you are going to use a quick release highwayman's hitch for your fenders you need at least 2 more things: (1) a magic marker to put your boat's name on the fender so your dockmates know who to return the floating fender to (2) a large hand-held fishing net so you can scoop your floating fender out of the water :-) (Oh, maybe a third item, a flashlight to help you look for the fender at night --- which is when it will usually come off)
foothillsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2020, 12:28   #14

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

Ah, where is your boat located? I could use a new set of fenders if I could remove them so quickly! .
Old 30-12-2020, 12:59   #15

Boat: Bavara 37/Soling 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinnerman View Post
NauticEd has a nice YouTube video on how to tie your fender clove hitch FAST:

Hmm. No thanks.

The idea of someone who doesn't know how to tie knots standing over the lifeline, looking down, with both hands full gives me the willies.

As Overcautious Guy, I like my fenders tied to the stanchion at deck level because when the crew is tying/untying while underway, they have their center of gravity at deck level, behind the lifeline, rather than above the lifeline.

I also don't like fenders hanging on lifelines because, depending on how strong your arms are and how much you weigh, you're potentially putting your center of gravity perilously close to over the lifeline as you're pulling the fender up. I've actually seen someone go in while doing that.

However, this video did give me an idea for how to teach people how to tie the slipknot for sail ties. So thanks for posting.

Tags
fender, knot