Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-01-2020, 14:25   #1

Getting some basic feel and experience

It seems that close to half the people on here that post are like me. So my apologies for what might be a common post.
Both my wife and me want to get into sailing/cruising, but we are not sure if its for us or not.
We looked at getting a small boat to try it out and go from there.
But before we get into that we want to tag along with someone to get a feel for it.

When i looked on here for crew all the posts are for long term and long distance. Is there a way to find someone who would like some help on the boat when day sailing and same time for us to see if we like that part.
For me its even more so as I do get sea sick, hope that sail boat will be better for me then a powerboat.
Our main goal is that in about two years we get a boat and sail to see the world.
My wife is really into it and cant wait to just leave everything behind.

If anyone around LA area wants company or knows of anyone that might?
We are not looking to sit around but we want to help sail and willing to learn.
Help with cost as in gas and stay after to help wash the boat and put things in order.
I'm not one of those who come to enjoy the day on the boat, as soon as we get to dock leave in a run.

Thanks
fireant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2020, 14:31   #2
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail
Re: Getting some basic feel and experience

find a sailing class if you can .. one that teaches small boat handling. other than that you could crew on a day sail if possible. then with a few years experience charter a bigger boat. sailboats do rock and roll so maybe you want a catamaran. good luck.
Old 28-01-2020, 18:14   #3

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hi, fireant,

Almost everybody gets seasick some time. If it is common for you, check out this link, maybe it'll lead you to some help: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ns-120347.html

As to the rest of it, there is really not a whole lot of reason for a boat owner to take strangers on their boat: they usually entertain people they already know. Therefore, the preceding suggestion for you and your wife to sign up for sailing lessons is really good, because not only will you learn some tips, but you will have the opportunity to meet people at a similar stage in their development as sailors, and perhaps a friendship or two or three may develop.

Another way to approach it is to join a yacht club and be volunteer crew on club races, and work days. Again, you have a chance to learn a lot, perhaps make friends with similar interests.

Or, get a little dinghy, and teach yourselves.

However, as a fellow mal de mer sufferer, I suggest you start finding out what will work for you. To be blunt, you become a detriment if you spend your crewing time puking instead of doing your job of the moment.

Ann - old salt
Old 28-01-2020, 18:17   #4

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

Just keep asking, here and on noticeboards in marinas. If you were here on New Zealand's South Island you'd be welcome!
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2020, 19:17   #5

Thanks guys Im looking at getting some sailing classes. Just wanted to get my feet wet with sailing to see if I should pursue in this direction.
At first i wanted to get a bus and convert it for travel. But my girl says she rather see the world. We all know there is some kind of romance about sailing around the world.
How can I say no to someone who pushes me to get out there together instead of complaining that I'm a nut case.

Ann I do agree being sea sick and puking on the side of the boat is not what someone would expect when I offer help. Been bad enough that I thought I would jump over board and put an end to my misery and I wasnt smiling when i said it.
Same time if things need to be done I will do them no one ever said i give up or quit. Never know when I will get one that would put me down completely so ...

JPA thanks for the link I would read it. Till now what worked for me was doing something, not sit around or look outside.
When kayak fishing out in the ocean if I start getting sea sick I would start to paddle as fast as I can seems to work for me. once a lifeguard thought I were in trouble trying to get away from something. wasnt as funny at the time when a rescue boat came over.

Tillsbury thanks for the offer bud.
Old 29-01-2020, 09:45   #6

Boat: Nonsuch 354

Take the American Sailing Association Basic keel boat Class, ASA 101. It will get you the basics and, at least in the course I took, it is mostly hands on time. After that, check Craig's List for a used sailing dinghy in the 10-12 ft length, more or less. You can get into the basics and have an easy to maintain & transport small boat that maybe can make the transition to tender when you get a bigger boat. Good luck!
Old 29-01-2020, 09:55   #7

Boat: Stevens 47

I started sailing in So Cal by joining a sailing club in Newport Beach called Windward Sailing. Last time I checked they were still there and I’m pretty sure there are similar clubs in Marina del Rey.

These aren’t clubs in the traditional sense. They offer sailing lessons and the opportunity to rent boats small and large for sailing in Southern California.

Joining such a club is a great way to learn to sail and get reasonably inexpensive access to sailboats.

We used to charter boats for the weekend and go out to Catalina. That’s a great way to learn if you’re going to really enjoy the lifestyle.

Best of luck. I’m sure you’ll really enjoy it once you learn the basic skills.
sainted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2020, 10:04   #8

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

Sainted has the right idea. Join a sailing club and/or a yacht club. Both will help you get the feel of sailing without a major commitment. Each has its advantages. With a yacht club you get the added benefit of sailing on different boats.
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2020, 11:01   #9

While it’s a bit further to drive, consider San Diego. It’s large bay allows you to learn and develop skills in the bay nearly year-round. And you can transition to offshore sailing as your skills increase. I’ve been a member of Harbor Sailboats there for many years, in addition to my personal boat ownership. They have all new Catalina 22’s as well as a large fleet of larger craft of charter boats. Your annual membership applies 100% to rentals, so it’s a very economical way to get on the water. They have great instructors. When you join, you get ASA 101 free, and your wife can be added to the class for a reduced rate. I have no vested interest... just a happy member.

Here’s a link: https://harborsailboats.com/
Phyrcooler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2020, 14:23   #10

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireant View Post
It seems that close to half the people on here that post are like me. So my apologies for what might be a common post.
Both my wife and me want to get into sailing/cruising, but we are not sure if its for us or not.
We looked at getting a small boat to try it out and go from there.
But before we get into that we want to tag along with someone to get a feel for it.

When i looked on here for crew all the posts are for long term and long distance. Is there a way to find someone who would like some help on the boat when day sailing and same time for us to see if we like that part.
For me its even more so as I do get sea sick, hope that sail boat will be better for me then a powerboat.
Our main goal is that in about two years we get a boat and sail to see the world.
My wife is really into it and cant wait to just leave everything behind.

If anyone around LA area wants company or knows of anyone that might?
We are not looking to sit around but we want to help sail and willing to learn.
Help with cost as in gas and stay after to help wash the boat and put things in order.
I'm not one of those who come to enjoy the day on the boat, as soon as we get to dock leave in a run.

Thanks
Please note; that if you're prone to seasickness, the smaller the boat, the worse it will be. Larger boats tend to be more stable in rolly conditions. Opb (other peoples boats) is your best bet but you'll need to hang around the docks and watering holes to find a ride. The difference in feel between a 20' boat and a 30' boat is enormous.
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2020, 14:43   #11

San Diego is too far so is Newport. I'm located in the valley about 43 mile from Marina del ray and 41 mile from Ventura.
Ventura is a better drive cause a lot less traffic.
Would any of you have recommendation for a good club? before I start calling around.
Any particular questions I should be asking when I call?

Becuse of my problem with being sea sick we are looking ultimately at a catamaran.
I like the lagoon 380 plenty big for two people but not too big for a money pit.
Old 29-01-2020, 16:53   #12

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireant View Post
San Diego is too far so is Newport. I'm located in the valley about 43 mile from Marina del ray and 41 mile from Ventura.
Ventura is a better drive cause a lot less traffic.
Would any of you have recommendation for a good club? before I start calling around.
Any particular questions I should be asking when I call?

Because of my problem with being sea sick we are looking ultimately at a catamaran.
I like the lagoon 380 plenty big for two people but not too big for a money pit.
A Cat would be a good choice given your situation with the sea sickness. Just make sure you know where you're going to park it first. Southern California is notoriously short on slip space and a Cat will take two in most marinas. Kaching You may find that a forty foot monohull would suit your purposes, be a lot cheaper up front and you may even find a place to keep it. Plus it will point upwind higher than a Cat which is a major consideration when coastal cruising around the west coast.
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2020, 16:58   #13

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

I'll take ya! Come on out with me! Bring your overalls though, you may need to scrape paint! OK just kidding. I'll PM you. My boat is out at Channel Islands.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2020, 18:25   #14

Most sailing schools have several good options for total beginners.

One is to take a free intro sail which many schools have during their open house weekends in the beginning of the season.

Another is to visit in person and post a request at such a school or two that you're looking to get an intro sail with an established member. Many are short on crew or looking for a helping hand or just someone to pass the sailing bug to.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2020, 23:53   #15
cruiser

Boat: 1963 Pearson Ariel, Hull 75

Lots of good advice here, that I won't duplicate. As for your first sailboat, I suggest one that's heavily ballasted, not too beamy, tiller steered, with a full or modified full keel in the 23 to 28 foot size range. There are plenty of boats like that available for very little money. You may even find one whose current owner will be happy to sail along with you for a few voyages.

I've never been seasick, but I flew competition aerobatics before I started sailing. I attribute that to "immunizing" me to sea sickness. You can't do hours of loops, rolls, and spins in a day without learning to disconnect your inner ear from your stomach. Maybe that's the cure?

If you find that docking is your biggest challenge, I suggest hiring an instructor and practicing docking repeatedly with that instructor's guidance - just like pilots will spend entire days practicing touch-and-go landings.
Cpt Pat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc