Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2021, 16:20   #1

Boat: Jeanneau 44DS
Getting a big monohull from Toronto to Vancouver Island

I am looking for options to get my 2013 Jeanneau SO DS 44' monohull from Toronto (on the Great Lakes) to Vancouver Island. My apologies if this sort of thing has been asked a bunch. I had a search through the forum and didn't see much.

The Boat is 1.6m draft, 13'11" width, 11,000kg, approx 50' mast length.

The three best options I can think of are 1. To sail it via the Panama Canal, 2. Delivery by truck, or 3. delivery by freight carrier (ship).

Option 1: I might be able to get the time to hire crew and do the delivery, but I'm not crazy about the idea. I could hire a skipper and delivery crew. I assume it would take more than a month, and that's if everything went well.

Obviously the boat is on land right now for winter. If there is an option to de-mast and load up without launching, I guess that would be ideal. I can also wait til spring and take the boat to another port if necessary. I assume I will be able to access US ports in upstate New York despite COVID border restrictions, but I would need to confirm that.

Any suggestions or recommendations for companies who do this regularly would be very helpful. Thanks in advance!
Salty_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 17:01   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser
Re: Getting a big monohull from Toronto to Vancouver Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty_C View Post
I assume it would take more than a month, and that's if everything went well.
Via Panama, 6 -10 months if everything goes absolutely perfectly (it doesn't work that way). Paying crew for such a trip approx $450/day for skipper and $250 per day for each of the other two crew.

Trucking, expensive in the extreme if more than 12' beam and 13' from bottom of keel to highest point.

Way cheaper to sell it here and buy another there.
Old 09-02-2021, 17:35   #3

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46

Some boats drop the keel and truck the boat that way. Again, not inexpensive.
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 17:58   #4

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
I am looking for options to get my 2013 Jeanneau SO DS 44' monohull from Toronto (on the Great Lakes) to Vancouver Island. My apologies if this sort of thing has been asked a bunch. I had a search through the forum and didn't see much.

The three best options I can think of are 1. To sail it via the Panama Canal, 2. Delivery by truck, or 3. delivery by freight carrier (ship).

Option 1: I might be able to get the time to hire crew and do the delivery, but I'm not crazy about the idea. I could hire a skipper and delivery crew. I assume it would take more than a month, and that's if everything went well.

Obviously the boat is on land right now for winter. If there is an option to de-mast and load up without launching, I guess that would be ideal. I can also wait til spring and take the boat to another port if necessary. I assume I will be able to access US ports in upstate New York despite COVID border restrictions, but I would need to confirm that.

Any suggestions or recommendations for companies who do this regularly would be very helpful. Thanks in advance!
I trucked my boat from San Francisco to Seattle. I flew to SF and removed the mast and railings and loaded it all onto a truck in one day with the help of one crew member and some yard workers then flew home. That was a Wednesday. The boat arrived in Seattle on Friday morning Judy put the mast together on Saturday while my daughter and I painted the bottom. We stepped the mast and tuned it on Sunday and went sailing. We worked up the crew on Weds and raced it in a 75 mile ocean race on the next Saturday. It was a cheap, safe, and easy way to get the boat and all it's gear moved in a hurry.

My boat is 43' long, 13' wide and 8' (2.4mt) draft, the mast is 65'.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wings Arrival in Seattle Apr 1986.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	461.8 KB
ID:	232210  
wingssail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 05:11   #5

I once did a delivery from Newport, RI to Panama in a 55' sailboat. Just that portion took us a month. There were no complications - nothing broke and no major storms...

So boatpoker's 6-10 month estimate is right in the ballpark for a shorter waterline (thus slower) sailboat.

Cheers,
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 09:36   #6

Boat: Catalina 375

I was part of a crew moving a boat from Trinidad to LA a number of years ago. It took 6 weeks on the water and we were motoring most of the time in the Pacific as there was no wind. The owner did not care about the cost of fuel.

Right now a Canadian does not have access to ports on the NY side of Lake Ontario. I doubt that will be lifted in 2021. Biden and Trudeau will make sure we stay locked down. I have sailed from Kingston to Nova Scotia. Plan on a couple weeks once the locks are open. Because of your width, the poster above who said sell it and buy another was probably correct. I am not sure if it would be cheaper to sail the boat to Thunder Bay then truck from there? No idea on those costs.
Ardbeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 09:47   #7

Just the way it works out, I quoted a delivery from Florida to Vancouver at US$45K + expences. Without running my calculator, from Toronto, it would likely be 2X that. My cost was within spitting distance of the cost of delivering as deck cargo on a ship. The owner (wisely) decided to go as deck cargo to save the wear&tear and extra expenses associated with a sailing delivery. (his boat was too big to truck).

I think you will find that with a boat of the size you are looking at, truck is by far and away your best option.
BillKny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 09:49   #8

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD

Six months or more to sail from Toronto to Vancouver Island is, I would think, the minimum. If you go along it will take longer: delivery crews will press the boat harder and put up with more discomfort than you probably would. The trip from Panama up to Canada is long and brutal. The easiest way is to sail out to Hawaii, then north around the west side (think Japan) of the Pacific High to Alaska or northern BC, then south. Long, cold, and VERY uncomfortable. Not for novices.

You could consider sailing her to Panama and taking her through the canal, then load her on a ship on the Pacific side to bring her to Vancouver. The trip south from Toronto to Panama could be very pleasant at the right time of year - but I'd allow at least three months for that if starting in Toronto and having to deal with the Great Lakes, canals, etc. You might find your draft too challenging for the ICW and you'll want to go outside from New York south. And in three months you are not going to be able to enjoy the wonderful world south of Florida. A pity.

Trucking too will be challenging: I would not want to bring that size boat across on the Trans-Canada highway. It's only two lanes across most of the country including through the mountains in BC. You will need pilot cars fore and aft and permits up the ying-yang. If you are going to truck I would STRONGLY suggest going through the states on the interstate system where it is at least four lanes everywhere and handling a wide load is MUCH easier. However, careful planning would still be required as you will be too high to get under most overpasses. And of course Covid may well play a role.

Good luck with this one. As one poster suggested you might want to sell her in Toronto and buy another out here. They arrive directly from France on a ship.
Scorpius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 09:54   #9

Boat: Sceptre 41

Some years ago, Tony Gooch shipped Taonui (Length overall 13.3 meters; Draft 1.8 meters; Beam 3.9 meters; Displacement 14-15 tons) from British Columbia across to the Atlantic, and then cruised NL and beyond

(Taonui since sold; later purchased by Randall Reeves, renamed and completed "Figure 8" see: http://figure8voyage.com/blog/)

Perhaps try to contact Tony for info about shipping?
sv_pelagia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 10:00   #10

Boat: Catalina 36 Mk II

Contact Andrews Trucking and get a quote. Might be cheaper if there is no rush and they can arrange your load and a return load. They have lots of experience.
https://www.andrewstrucking.com/index.phtml

Seems to me that it is either trucking or sell and buy on the west coast.
Old 10-02-2021, 10:00   #11

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer

Have you looked into rail transport. I know some people who have done this with great success.
Old 10-02-2021, 10:18   #12

We are also from Toronto and sailed our catamaran (39ft) down through the Panama Canal and up to Golfito, Costa Rica on the Pacific side where we discovered damage to the rigging. We had planned to sail out to Hawaii and then back to Victoria but, because of broken strands in the shrouds at the top of the mast, decided not to. We had left Toronto in October, 2012 and planned to be in Victoria, BC about June, 2013 and probably would have made that schedule. My wife and I were cruising, but hurrying along.
Because of the damage to the rig and lack of repair facilities and replacement parts, we loaded our 39 by 21ft cat on a Sevenstar Yacht Transport ship in Golfito that delivered her up to Victoria ten days later, May, 2013. We feared that we would lose a cruising season if we tried to import parts and repair and then sail Golfito - Hawaii-Victoria, as we would have missed the best season to make those passages.
Cost, 2013, Golfito to Victoria, mast up and loading and off-loading with ship's crane, insurance, customs fees, etc.: $18,000.USD.
Go to the Sevenstar site and they list Toronto as a port. Get a quote and schedule.
We got the repairs done at Anacortes, WA, for reasonable cost/reasonable time and headed up the inside passage and spent two sailing seasons along the BC coast and Alaska as far as Glacier Bay. Wonderful cruising area.
We did sail back to Toronto, leaving the Straits of Juan de Fuca in late September, 2014, fair winds to Panama, adverse winds Panama to Florida and arrived back in Toronto July, 2015.
Sevenstar were great, very careful, no damage, very accommodating, etc.
As we boaters know, selling one boat to purchase another takes time and costs a lot.
Fees for selling, fees for purchasing, improvements and upgrades to the purchased boat, etc.
Also, sailing a boat all those thousands of miles costs a lot in dollars for fuel, maintenance, marinas, expect several thousand dollars for Panama Canal fees, line handlers, pilot, etc. and time.
Factor all that in against the cost of shipping.
Paul Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 10:33   #13

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Howard View Post
We are also from Toronto and sailed our catamaran (39ft) down through the Panama Canal and up to Golfito, Costa Rica on the Pacific side where we discovered damage to the rigging. We had planned to sail out to Hawaii and then back to Victoria but, because of broken strands in the shrouds at the top of the mast, decided not to. We had left Toronto in October, 2012 and planned to be in Victoria, BC about June, 2013 and probably would have made that schedule. My wife and I were cruising, but hurrying along.
Because of the damage to the rig and lack of repair facilities and replacement parts, we loaded our 39 by 21ft cat on a Sevenstar Yacht Transport ship in Golfito that delivered her up to Victoria ten days later, May, 2013. We feared that we would lose a cruising season if we tried to import parts and repair and then sail Golfito - Hawaii-Victoria, as we would have missed the best season to make those passages.
Cost, 2013, Golfito to Victoria, mast up and loading and off-loading with ship's crane, insurance, customs fees, etc.: $18,000.USD.
Go to the Sevenstar site and they list Toronto as a port. Get a quote and schedule.
We got the repairs done at Anacortes, WA, for reasonable cost/reasonable time and headed up the inside passage and spent two sailing seasons along the BC coast and Alaska as far as Glacier Bay. Wonderful cruising area.
We did sail back to Toronto, leaving the Straits of Juan de Fuca in late September, 2014, fair winds to Panama, adverse winds Panama to Florida and arrived back in Toronto July, 2015.
Sevenstar were great, very careful, no damage, very accommodating, etc.
As we boaters know, selling one boat to purchase another takes time and costs a lot.
Fees for selling, fees for purchasing, improvements and upgrades to the purchased boat, etc.
Also, sailing a boat all those thousands of miles costs a lot in dollars for fuel, maintenance, marinas, expect several thousand dollars for Panama Canal fees, line handlers, pilot, etc. and time.
Factor all that in against the cost of shipping.

Ok. Further to my previous post, sail her to the CARIBBEAN end of the Panama Canal and put her on a ship to Vancouver from there. Save the Panama Canal fees and the stress of taking your boat through the canal - but of course some of us found it a great experience and adventure.
Scorpius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 10:43   #14
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:

You don't mention your timeline, personal availability, or offshore passaging desire/experience and your options eliminate you doing it yourself. All these options will be expensive so select the one that would minimize the wear, tear, hours on the boat: truck or freight carrier.

I moved my 42' boat from St. Augustine, FL to Tacoma, WA. I got a crew quote, too expensive. Then planned to sail it myself through Panama Canal-Hawaii-Tacoma since I was retired. Ending up sailing it from Key West to Galveston, TX solo, then trucking it to Tacoma...it would have been cheaper/faster, overall, if I had trucked it from St. Augustine but I would have missed all that I learned, but that's another story.

Had to wait about a month to get an available truck at the boat's location. Mast down then bow pulpit, windvane, radar, dodger plus many other items had to be stored inside the boat for shipping. Routing had to be over highways that could handle the dimensions...i.e. not a direct route (driver told me he got fined for the load along the way). Boat arrived in good condition and then the put-back-together started. That was almost 13 years ago.

My recommendation is to make some calls and get quotes (truck and carrier) and some background on what is involved...that will ease your mind by being properly informed. If you can get a carrier from Toronto that would minimize wear/tear/hours and shipping preparation on both ends but I have no idea if that is possible or what the cost would be.

Good Luck...you'll love the Northwest and Vancouver Island...we all do.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 11:03   #15

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 44 CC Cutter

We met a couple in Little Current, ON that was sailing to Duluth, MN where they were hauling their 47 Beneteau. The mast and keel were removed from the hull and the whole load shipped to Seattle. You will save $$$$ on trucking by sailing to Thunder Bay and shipping to BC. And you get to sail the upper Great Lakes! Bonus! And no worries about US ports.
Mahayana is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull, monohull, vancouver