Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2021, 11:15   #16

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]
Re: Getting a big monohull from Toronto to Vancouver Island

The NW Passage is another ooption that can typically be completed in a single season- but there is no guarantee conditions will allow you to complete the transit in any given attempt... However, this year is out as Canada recently closed their Arctic waters to all transiting recreational vessels [and cruise ships with >100 passengers] so perhaps next year this could also be considered?...

Decades ago I had my Tayana 47 trucked from Seattle to San Diego down the W coast of the US in mid winter. I could have sailed it down in the same amount of time, but I didn't have time to wait for a Wx window... [Accommodating a dear friend— after what became her final relapse— fulfill her bucket wish list to cruise in Mexico...]

The vessel we now have was put on a yacht delivery ship in Panama and delivered to Seattle by the previous owners...

Anything is possible...

Best wishes deciding what best suits your needs.

Cheers! Bill
Old 10-02-2021, 11:15   #17

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty_C View Post
I am looking for options to get my 2013 Jeanneau SO DS 44' monohull from Toronto (on the Great Lakes) to Vancouver Island. My apologies if this sort of thing has been asked a bunch. I had a search through the forum and didn't see much.

The Boat is 1.6m draft, 13'11" width, 11,000kg, approx 50' mast length.

The three best options I can think of are 1. To sail it via the Panama Canal, 2. Delivery by truck, or 3. delivery by freight carrier (ship).

Option 1: I might be able to get the time to hire crew and do the delivery, but I'm not crazy about the idea. I could hire a skipper and delivery crew. I assume it would take more than a month, and that's if everything went well.

Obviously the boat is on land right now for winter. If there is an option to de-mast and load up without launching, I guess that would be ideal. I can also wait til spring and take the boat to another port if necessary. I assume I will be able to access US ports in upstate New York despite COVID border restrictions, but I would need to confirm that.

Any suggestions or recommendations for companies who do this regularly would be very helpful. Thanks in advance!
I'd bet deck cargo would be your best bet after getting her to the east cost.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 12:11   #18

Boat: csy 37

Northwest Passage?
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 12:23   #19

Boat: ODay 322

I trucked my 33ft 11,8b 5 draft from to to van.
To come back I put boat in Thunder Bay and sailed to To.
The coasts are much higher today than when I did and mine was paid for by my company. You could sail to TB and load it, it would take 2 weeks if you hustle. That takes a 900 miles off the 2800 mile trip.
There was company from Montreal that shippped Beneteaus for the builder.
It was Can Am. they used to ship French boats regularly. If they have a pickup in Van then it can be slightly cheaper.
Returning my driver had a pickup in Chicago for the East Coast.
Sailing up the west coast is against the prevailing wind and current. I have sailed down but not up. Large waves and behind is more comfy than the other way.
For the cost I would sell the boat and buy another one out west!
naitaka322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 12:54   #20

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

If you want to do it this year, considering the virus isolation policies, your best bet is to truck her. That draft is small and she should clear overhead hazards if prepped and shipped on a purpose-built boat-hauling trailer. The issue is the width, which will require permits, and pilot and chase cars. None of that is your concern: contact professional boat haulers and get quotes - let them tell you which route is best, and what the cost will be.

Shipping is likely to cost more, and will be more wear and tear. It will require a stout cradle and ideally shrink-wrap on the boat and protection for the spars. It is a good alternative but I think trucking is better.

For 2021 I don't see making the trip by sea as being a good idea - too likely to get caught up in quarantines and other restrictions. In 2022 it probably will be OK but it will take months. Instead of going down the Hudson River and the ICW I would consider entering the Inland Rivers at Chicago and taking the Mississippi to the gulf. It is shorter and of course protected from the weather, although it would require more intense piloting every step of the way. The real issue is getting from Panama to B.C.: that is a long and hard slog, or an even longer trip to Hawaii with a high latitude return to the mainland - only done in the summer months. Frankly a sea delivery is an awesome amount of work which takes a lot of time and no small amount of money. Truck it.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 17:11   #21

Boat: Beneteau 40.7

I am not planning on doing this... but anyway:
How about moving the boat on its own bottom to Duluth and having it trucked from there? It looks like there is an Interstate route through the Northern tier of US states that might work.
Also, you might investigate if the route through Canada starting from Thunder Bay is feasible. This might have an advantage if you and your boat are Canadian.
thunderhoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 17:22   #22

Boat: Beneteau 40.7

The notion of shipping through Canada is intriguing. Here is a link to the British Columbia Highways site: https://wideloadshipping.com/british...g-regulations/
thunderhoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 18:06   #23

Boat: Sceptre 41

No reason shipper cannot drive via US... even with current COVID-19 restrictions, commercial shipping is allowed.
sv_pelagia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 20:07   #24

13 ft beam will make that more expensive than using space x.
sazarac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 05:48   #25

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

If you want to get there fast....maybe a sailboat is not for you!
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2021, 07:56   #26

Boat: Jeanneau 44DS

Thanks to everyone who responded - this is super helpful.

I'm now looking at trucking from here and from Duluth/Thunder Bay.

Just in case anyone is looking to do something similar, I got one quote for just under US$23k for shipping by truck, which includes pilot car for 2 of the states, and one province (BC).
Salty_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2021, 08:37   #27

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty_C View Post
Thanks to everyone who responded - this is super helpful.

I'm now looking at trucking from here and from Duluth/Thunder Bay.

Just in case anyone is looking to do something similar, I got one quote for just under US$23k for shipping by truck, which includes pilot car for 2 of the states, and one province (BC).

I'd go with Duluth if you can get in there during Covid. It puts you right on the US Interstates which are FAR better for trucking than the Trans-Canada. If you truck from Thunder Bay you have to get across Northern Ontario and to Winnipeg on two lane roads before you can drop into the States and get on the Interstates - plus it's quite a bit shorter (thus cheaper), plus you would be using a US trucker in the US which I expect would be easier.
Scorpius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2021, 09:19   #28

Boat: Pape 42’ Aluminum Cutter

Look at sailing to Chicago then truck across I 90 to Seattle, then sail her up to BC.
Northernguy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2021, 09:55   #29

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northernguy59 View Post
Look at sailing to Chicago then truck across I 90 to Seattle, then sail her up to BC.
Or sail her to Duluth and truck her via the I-90, I-5, BC-99 (Canadian extension of the I-5), and BC-91 (all inter-connected freeways set up for heavy truck traffic) right to Shelter Island Marina and Boat Yard in Richmond, BC. If you are living in the Vancouver area you might find it an expensive hassle to launch and re-commission her in Seattle. I think it would be much easier and cheaper to do near home.

When I trucked Scorpius from Tampa Bay, FL to Vancouver, I originally planned to bring her to Blaine, WA (right on the I-5 right at the border) and launch her there - but the trucker charged only an extra $200 to bring her up to Shelter Island. Money VERY well spent! There was no hassle getting her across the border but I think it was a real help that she was a Canadian-registered vessel and I was right there to answer any questions.
Scorpius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2021, 13:55   #30

What your not interested in sailing the northern passage?
jack4566 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull, monohull, vancouver