Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-12-2016, 09:10   #1

Boat: Jeanneau 45DS
Germany to England

Hi All,

I'm crew on a new sailboat bringing it from the yard in Greifswald, Germany to Southhampton England. Wondering if anyone has any experience with this route. Looks like we start in the Baltic and go through the Kiel canal into the North Sea and then down the channel. Should be around 4 days non-stop.

Trip will be end of April and we will have a skipper on board who has done this trip. Any recommendations for routing or really anything will be appreciated.
bcsete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2016, 10:02   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Germany to England

Worth doing a search on here, there is one thread were Dockhead reports of a knockdown in a 55ft yacht.

Weather could be nice and warm but more likely wet and cold with wind on the nose so lots of water on the deck. You will need a good sailing jacket, trousers and wellies plus hat.

Routing could depend on weather but lots of harbours along both channel coasts to stop off for a break but this sounds a bit of a delivery trip. There is a traffic separation zone which is monitored by Dover Coastguard with Radar and they take a dim view of infringements. Professional yacht skippers have been fined for breaches.

No tides in the Baltic, but there is a 1/4 knot current in your favour. Wind in the Baltic are dependent on the continent. We found calm conditions in the morning which built up during the day and faded out at sunset.

Germany is an interesting country but don't drink the beer as it does nasty things to your head.

I will be surprised if you can do this trip in 4 days even if its 630 miles. The canal will slow you down as will the channel tides.

Take a camera and record your trip.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2016, 16:41   #3

Thanks Pete7,

It is essentially a boat delivery. It's a Moody 54'. I see you have a Moody as well. It will end up in the Med for a bit and then to Santa Barbara, CA where my home base is.

Do you know out of Greifswald whether you can go though the channels just to the west to end up in Kubitzer Bodden or is it preferred to up and around the Peninsula?
Old 31-12-2016, 16:49   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Sorry, the furthest East I have been is Rostock.

Great boat, I have sailed on Dockeads M54 a couple of times, but still think it will take more than 4 days. Worth having a good read of Dockheads posts as he has done that journey several times.

You have some narrow channels and a bridge to contend with if you try the inside route, you need a M31 with bilge keels and a 3'8" draft

Suppose the start point will be a German Pilot book or local knowledge if the skipper is local. You might find some Baltic Pilot / harbour guides in English on Amazon.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2016, 16:58   #5

Will do. Thanks.
Old 31-12-2016, 18:01   #6

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

Our experience was rough and miserable from Cuxhaven to Southampton the first 30 hours. This was after being weathered into Cuxhaven for 7 days at the end of July month. I think it was about 46 hours of motor sailing and sailing.
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
England, Germany