Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2016, 12:03   #31
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410
Re: Gave my work notice now more committed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
WAIT!

W.A.I.T!

Ummm, sorry but I stuffed up your Budget spreadsheet in the last 'can I afford to go' thread.

Can you get you resignation back???

Just 12 more months...
it "depends"
Old 01-02-2016, 12:58   #32

Boat: Ocean Alexander Mk1 extended 55'

I have bad knees too. The DonJoy brace and periodic Synvisc shots make the knees bearable to still go snow skiing. Don't get the replacement until you absolutely have to.
dw1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 13:19   #33
LNL

Boat: still a waterfront lot

Do it! I had both done three years ago and finally I am pain free!! It is a long healing process! I had mine done at 48 years old. So happy now! No pain is a great thing. We are heading to Bahamas in one day to take our live aboard sailing courses. I am happy I will be able to move around the sailboat with no problem.
LNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 13:21   #34

Awesome!
marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 13:59   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I'm a year and a half behind you, seems like I have been saying a year and a half, forever.

I too have bad knees, three operations (scopes). Last one Dr. told me he wanted to be the one to replace it. It apparently is not a matter of if, just when, he couldn't tell me how long I had, he said I determined that, based on pain tolerance.
Should I continue to deal with the pain and reduced movement, as in I have limits on how far I can walk, much over a mile causes issues.
Or should I go ahead and have it replaced? I have same Medical coverage either way, so that is not the issue.
Issue other than my fear is how long does a replacement last? An I better off waiting?
Id hate to get one now, then have it worn out with me in my late 60's, I assume you heal slower then, and surely it's more invasive replacing an artificial one with another?

You going with "bad" knees?
Not sure how old you are but I finally had mine replaced at 53, 20 years after having it scoped and 2 years on injections. Finally couldn't take it anymore. I dreaded walking anywhere. When at the grocery store, I pushed the cart in order to use it as an aid. My advise, get it done. The rehab is 6 weeks but it's really months before your back to normal. Finally getting rid of the pain made me feel 10 years younger. Life span of the replacement I'm told is around 20 years, depending on the level of abuse it gets. I'm hoping by then they'll have a solution for fixing the darn thing instead of replacing it again. Just my 2 pennies worth.
showdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 14:05   #36
S/V rubber ducky

didn't realize the knee thing was going to take over, so for those that missed it:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ee-141744.html
Old 01-02-2016, 14:28   #37

Boat: Freedom 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
didn't realize the knee thing was going to take over, so for those that missed it:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ee-141744.html
Ah yes, good stuff there. I had missed it. The person who said his wife felt better on the boat is probably a good anecdote to consider, too. I have a bad back, but after a day of sailing, it feels better for days. My guess is that the constant balancing act and helming a boat keep the nerves firing and help toward building or repairing muscle. But I'm a biologist. Other than sharing a comparative anatomy course in college with a bunch of super smart and competitive pre-meds, I have no medical training or knowledge of physiology. I just take in what I see and read. Medical decisions should not be based alone on opinions from a sailing forum. Hell, most sailing decisions for that matter
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 08:51   #38

Boat: Corbin 39

Congratulations Sailerboy1
May you have fair winds

Will join the club next year
Lake Ontario to Virginia Oct 2017
dmalcol1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 08:56   #39

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Six more posts. Go the Boy!

goat
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2016, 07:34   #40

Boat: Lagoon 440

I was talking to a guy a couple years ago who said he had had back surgery and was going to have to have another surgery on his neck. Then talked about choosing a doctor and such. He approached it by talking to physical therapists and getting their opinion about which patients had the best results and then who did the work. My daughter actually did the same thing in anticipation of having her wisdom teeth removed. She kept track of all her friends and who had complications and who did not. So when the orthodontist said they needed to come out she said, dad this is the guy, I've already done the research.

Good luck!
bwells79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 10:09   #41
S/V rubber ducky

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Well I hurt my "good" knee. This started going bad last year because I worked instead of resting the bad knee. This was the last straw so I turned in my work notice today for the end of May, which makes me more committed to me cruising plans. Now to get rid of the house and "stuff" and move to the boat to start heading South this Fall.

Just giving fair warning to all between me and my planned destinations to get out my way!
So it's been 2 months of limping around at my accounts. Of course the thing that goes though my mind is "You must be insane, why are doing this?". Meanwhile what is the progress of the company having a plan to transition my accounts that is the reason I gave them 4 months notice? It's zero!
Old 01-04-2016, 10:26   #42

Boat: Hunter 376 - 37'

Congratulations! I'm right with you, going out at the end of May.

We bought the boat (Hunter 376) last fall and I told the company that once she's in the water, I'm done. They came back and will allow me to work part time from the boat and keep me on.

I've just had the first of the cataract surgeries so I can see the sunsets and we've started installing the new electronics so that we can see everything else. I figure 3 more years on the Great Lakes and then down to the Carolinas to explore the Southeast.

Enjoy life!
Dsqr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 10:31   #43
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Gave my work notice now more committed

Do you care.. and if so.. Why.??
Figure your own personal accounts you've new priorities..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 10:37   #44

30 days for me!!! One more month abroad for business (Brazil and Germany) then I'm on the boat. 1st Grandchild in June leaves me "stuck" in the Great Lakes for awhile, but it's better than the office.
scottyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 11:05   #45
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

How did I miss this thread?

I know you did this only because I got my boat in the water and you couldn't stand it if I went cruising before you.

skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote