Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-08-2006, 21:24   #16
Senior Cruiser

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 43 (Ketch)
I've been using Garhauer blocks for about 4 years now. For the most part, they are EXCELLENT. I did have a problem with the 80 series triple blocks that I purchased for my main sheet. The lines would jump out of the chases when on a broad reach to run and light winds. It would make it extremely difficult (and potentially dangerous) to try and sheet in any to assist with a jibe.

I talked with Doug (Felgenhauer) and his father at the Oakland boat show in '05, and we discussed this problem. I looked at their newer model and it had larger cheeks to prevent the lines from 'falling' off. I told them that since I would be passing by their shop, I would stop in and drop them off to either be modified to their current model, or to have them replaced. I have two sets of these.

Doug wouldn't take both sets. Only the one that was new, he kept the new set and eventually, his father made a new set and they were sent to me. I've pretty much dropped any request for repair/upgrade/replacement for the used set. They will be come an emergency back up. I'm not sure how I feel about the used set not being addressed. It was kind of difficult to get Mark to respond, but, they did and I got the replacement for the un-used set. Doug's father (I don't remember his name) was willing (at the boat show) to replace both sets. Apparently Doug didn't agree. ::shrug:::

In general, I think their quality is as good as any of the majors; and, that is the bottom line for most cruisers. Their prices are well below that of the majors; also the bottom line for most cruisers.

Jentine - You can call and talk to Doug at 909-985-9993, or write to him at garhauer@garhauermarine.com

Good luck.
S/V Elusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 08:08   #17
GreatKetch

Not to beat on the same point again (well ok that is exactly what I am doing....)

I'll second the comments about product quality (great!) and customer service (marginal at best).

I ordered a traveler from them at the boat show in April. They promised not to charge until they actually started work on it. True they never charged me for it, but they never started work on it either. Several calls to them with promised return calls which never came, and I finally gave up. Figured I'd just hit them again at the boat show next year.

Now, end of August, they ship me a traveler and charge my credit card. I am happy I (finally) have a traveler which I am happy with, at a great price, but customer communication... sucko.

I suspect that they have picked up enough sales volume directly to boat builders that the "retail" sales get short changed. They are nice competant people, just a bit overwelmed I suspect. But the prices are low enough I'll put up with the hassle and order again, and I have NEVER heard of anyone complaining about getting ripped off by them.

Hopefully in a few weeks I'll have that traveler all installed and pictures up on my web site.
Old 16-02-2020, 05:45   #18

Boat: 48' Alu Cat
Re: GARHAUER deck hardware - Opinions?

3 years ago we bought 2 x large fiddle blocks with snap shackles from Garhauer. The snap shackles attached to these blocks were Ronstan. When exposed to saline air the blocks rusted within 3 weeks!
I returned the blocks to Garhauer and they polished them and sent back to me, despite me advising them that the Stainless of the Ronstan snap shackles was not compatible , (Galvanic corrosion) with the rest of the block. Within a couple of weeks rust emerged again.
After a few arguments, pointing out the galvanic corrosion, measure voltage between the 2 different metals submersed in seawater, I received a full refund. Wonder how many people have the same problem?
Seman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2020, 07:36   #19

Boat: Freedom 38

This is a really old thread resurrection. I have used Garhauer products for 7 years now both off the shelf and custom built. My traveller blocks are from there including shackles that I replaced with Ronstan ones because I bent the pins on the original ones that weren't seized and they started wiggling open. Overall, good prices and good service. Was just speaking with Mark about a fix I need on my boom vang. Super helpful. He's just waiting for me to send him a picture of the piece I need. This thread suggests that maybe 13 years ago it wasn't quite the same experience for some. I've been a happy customer. Seman, sorry to hear about your experience.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2020, 07:44   #20

Boat: 48' Alu Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
This is a really old thread resurrection. I have used Garhauer products for 7 years now both off the shelf and custom built. My traveller blocks are from there. Good prices and good service. Was just speaking with Mark about a fix I need on my boom vang. Super helpful. He's just waiting for me to send him a picture of the piece I need. This thread suggests that maybe 13 years ago it wasn't quite the same experience for some. I've been a happy customer. Seman, sorry to hear about your experience.
My experience was last year, 2019. Glad you are happy with your Garhauer blocks. Sure if you don't use them in a salty environment they stay in as new condition and you won't have any galvanic corrosion on your blocks.
Seman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hardware