Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-01-2012, 01:54   #31

Boat: Westsail 32 and Herreshoff 28
Re: Gallons / Hour with a Yanmar 3gm30

I just purchased a boat with the 3gm30. Not to change the subject but what size starting battery is required? I have no battery or manual yet.
Thanks
endoftheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 05:56   #32

Boat: Privilege 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by endoftheroad View Post
I just purchased a boat with the 3gm30. Not to change the subject but what size starting battery is required? I have no battery or manual yet.
Thanks
My boat has a single 1000 CCA battery which feeds both engines. However, the battery lead length for one engine demands a lot of power.
Old 18-01-2013, 13:23   #33

Boat: Chris White Atlantic 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
Yes you can run it on the hard, just pull the intake to the water pump">raw water pump and put a water hose in it- I would replace the impeller on the raw water pump and change the oil/filter at the least
Running a inboard engine when the boat is out of the water.

IF your vessel is fitted with a water lift muffler it's well advised to PULL cooling water from a bucket that is kept topped up with water from a garden hose. cooling water">Engine cooling water flow is dependent on engine RPM so make sure the garden hose can keep the bucket topped up.

Direct connection of a garden hose to the engine intake hose could very well ruin your engine.

When an engine intake is supplied with pressurized water it is likely to over supply the engine with water whereby the water lift muffler becomes overfilled and water backflows into the engine.

'City' pressurized water supplied by a garden hose WILL push though a typical Jabsco raw water pump fitted even when the engine is not running. Even a small amount of leakage past the impeller could fill the water lift muffler causing the backflow into the engine scenario.

2). Conversely, the garden hose directly connected to the engine raw water pump might not supply enough water to the running engine and the engine could overheat. Again, proper cooling water flow is dependent on RPM. Better to use a bucket supplied with lots of water so you can monitor the situation.

If you have saildrives you can test run your engines by using a barrel full of water to submerse the drive leg, but again be sure to monitor the water level in the barrel as your reved up engine might use more water than a garden hose can supply. I've done this in the past and was surprised how much water moves through the cooling system at higher revs.

Tags
3gm, 3gm30, yanmar