Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2018, 13:49   #1

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot
Frequency and seasonal winds off of east florida

Forum gurus....

i love Windyty.com. Watch it almost daily. Have a boat in San Carlos Mexico. I retire next year. Somewhere in the next couple of years will trailer over to Lauderdale area and plunk her in.

Obviously an old guy like me doesn't want to deal with hurricane season. So, my question for you experienced ones....is.....

How frequently can one expect a southerly wind from late November through April? Last couple of days it has been a nice southerly. But last week it was a Northerly wind. So, that got me to thinking about frequency and weather windows. I have been on here for years and read a zillion crossing the Gulf Stream advices.

But i can't remember reading predictions of frequency of weather patterns during this time period of Nov-April. If it has been posted please forgive..

respects, alan
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 17:56   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Frequency and seasonal winds off of east florida

It depends, not as much as Summer obviously, and it seems that the North winds are stronger, and last longer, usually associated with a front of course.
However I’d say S ish winds are not uncommon, meaning SE to SW.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 18:35   #3

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124
Re: Frequency and seasonal winds off of east florida

Not trying to discourage you... If you are looking to make that trip over the Gulf Stream to the Bahamas, people have been known to wait for many many weeks and maybe even months for a suitable weather window. With that said, sometimes you can go right away. The weeks starting mid-November to early December tend to be the most favorable conditions this time of year because it just coincides with the end of hurricane season and the cold fronts are generally not yet strong enough to make it down every week.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 13:03   #4

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot
Re: Frequency and seasonal winds off of east florida

So, as winter progresses on the east coast I assume that more Northerly winds will increase in length and frequency? Is that how i should think?

I remember reading Sailorboy account of miserable anchoring with fronts moving through the Bahamas whilst he was there. I have a trimaran so i don't get that roll that monos can suffer from in a rolly anchorage. How far down the chain do the northern fronts roll before they run out of steam?
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, florida, wind