Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-02-2018, 04:17   #46

Boat: in the works
Re: FREE, or close to free!

So.... THAT accelerated quickly!
1) I know people can find these boats if they are looking. I'm not trying to sell anyone on anything. I just saw some possibilities and thought it would be cool if people who might not be looking in the same place were made aware.
2) I think I've said more than once "don't get in over your head"!
3) this thread is intended for those interested in it and the possibilities offered, and NOT for those who think a free boat, a boat that needs work, or any boat thats not ready to sail is a waste of time and money.
4) Thank you to those who have added positive comments and listings!

Lets stay positive! Negativity gets you nowhere!
jefjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2018, 04:20   #47

Boat: Grampian 26

There are lots of videos on on the topic of free or almost free boats.
astokel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2018, 04:27   #48

A quick post before I go to work. For you DC area peeps.
https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/...510304466.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	islander.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	165023  
Old 27-02-2018, 04:35   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Yes, But......

He had tons of experience with boats and had to almost totally rebuild Spray from the ground up

If you want to spend your time fixing up a boat for a few years rather than sailing, the free or super cheap boats may be for you.

My $2,000 boat was left by a cruiser that was returning from Florida back to Massachusetts in Virginia

Even though it had sat on the hard for 5 years, it was evident that the PO had prepped the boat before his 2 year cruise which is why I was able to launch it within a month or so after I bought it

But still put $8,500 -$10,000 into it and it still needs work

There are quite a few boats available for $10,000- $15,000 that are almost turn key.

There's a C&C 32 at my dock that's perfect for the type cruising I do and much more efficient than my boat sailing wise......although my boat would be better for offshore work or long distance cruising especially cruising with the tradewinds .....

Point is you can find a boat in good shape already for what you may put into a free boat
I can't argue against that point. All I can say is the joy that comes from fixing it up yourself is great! I don't want to see anyone start a project they can't finish; thats NOT my goal. BUT... I do know there are many of us on here for who $15000 is A LOT of money! So many boats out there deserve repair! They deserve a new owners love! They deserve wind in their sails again!
Old 27-02-2018, 04:41   #50

Boat: Bristol 32

Obviously, the whole sailboat market has collapsed. I have come to the conclusion that I will be the last to own my beloved B32, Eider. Ten years ago, I paid $30,000 for her, and her market value now is maybe 12? Maybe.

There are two wonderful sailboats within five miles of me on the hard that haven't seen salt in at least six years. The families have moved on to other things, or run out of steam, money, whatever. In one instance, the kids are getting ready for college. I'm sure if one were to show up with a small wad of cash, you could have either one of these boats for next to nothing. One is a Tayana 37, and the other is maybe a Pearson 30 or something similar. Both were in top cruising condition when the got put up.

Boats like these can be found all over Maine, and probably in most coastal states. It's sad, but most young adults just aren't into sailing, at least not like my generation. The computer did some of this, but I think our increasingly lazy culture is mostly responsible. And the boats don't go away.

If I wanted a new old boat, I would prowl around locally, and ask questions. They are out there. And with some effort, they can be found.
Mainebristol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2018, 05:54   #51

Boat: Stormwind 40 ketch

Interesting Chanel on YouTube. I hope he gets it going! https://youtu.be/S1PV5jEk8dE
drummer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2018, 05:59   #52

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefjo View Post
I can't argue against that point. All I can say is the joy that comes from fixing it up yourself is great! I don't want to see anyone start a project they can't finish; thats NOT my goal. BUT... I do know there are many of us on here for who $15000 is A LOT of money! So many boats out there deserve repair! They deserve a new owners love! They deserve wind in their sails again!
Like I said, I have around $8,500 - $10,000 in my $2,000 boat now after 6 years and the boat was loaded with equipment when I found it. Plus, the PO prepped it well before his 2 year cruise to Florida so it didn't need a lot except for the engine which failed after a couple weeks. The boat sat on the hard 5 years.

On top of that I replaced the diesel engine myself one time and the gearbox only myself on another occasion. If you pay someone to do that, it's very expensive.

If you have to buy anchors, rode, electronics, sails, running rigging, autopilot, lifelines, then add solar it could cost you upwards of between $5,000 - $10,000.

Also, a dodger can easily cost $2,000 if you want that. Mine came with a dodger but it's getting old and has an aluminum frame. I had it professionally repaired once and then this past Winter patched some holes with some left over sunbrella I had myself

A new dodger with SS Frame and grab rails is around $2,200.

All this and free boat guy hasn't even started on the boat prep yet.

Bottom paint $150-$250/gallon

Add in boatyard fees

The dollar count gets up there very rapidly......

And btw, this particular boat was around my 11th or 12th.......some of which were power. The sailboats I owned were all beach cats two of which were bought new.

So I didn't go into this totally blind but lots of the stuff with a monohull was quite different especially the draft of 4'

I bought the boat at a marina that you could only reach (or return to) on high tide or an hour or so of high tide........

And lastly, there was another guy that bought and was refitting a Bristol 27 when I bought mine in 2011. He is still working on his boat and it hasn't been launched yet
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2018, 06:29   #53

Boat: Columbia 29 MK1 Hull #28

Here is a Triton, beautiful and tough little boats!

https://maine.craigslist.org/boa/d/p...476687419.html

There was a west coast version (solid glass decks no core) that sold out of SF a week ago for I think 3k! I was excited about that boat, a real beauty. Hopefully she went to a good home.
406Columbia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2018, 07:49   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefjo View Post
A quick post before I go to work. For you DC area peeps.
https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/...510304466.html
I don't know about this one, Jef. It appears to me to be exactly the kind of boat others are warning against. The seller is telling me in his own words it needs 10-15K, IF the engine checks out.

On a positive note, here are two others in the same area for a hair more money that appear cared for, sailable and enjoyable while upgrades are made. There's hope for sailors on a budget!

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/...501911493.html

https://annapolis.craigslist.org/boa...505075874.html
Drew13440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2018, 08:41   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by 406Columbia View Post
Here is a Triton, beautiful and tough little boats!

https://maine.craigslist.org/boa/d/p...476687419.html

There was a west coast version (solid glass decks no core) that sold out of SF a week ago for I think 3k! I was excited about that boat, a real beauty. Hopefully she went to a good home.
The ad says it was manufactured in 1959! Now that is old.......

And that it has soft spots in the deck.........not a good start.
Old 27-02-2018, 09:42   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
The ad says it was manufactured in 1959! Now that is old.......

And that it has soft spots in the deck.........not a good start.
While its not the best start, delaminated or wet decks aren't complex to deal with. It requires basic tools on those older models without headliners. It may take a little time but can be done right and not for to much money. I will post an article below for a few ideas just fyi.

Good Old Boat - Delamination is not spelled d-o-o-m article

I suppose if your not comfortable using a jig saw, table saw, glue, angle grinder, etc. this may be too much work. Which makes these sorts of boats such a good bargain for those of us who have no issue doing this sort of work. The ability to trailer home or move the boat home and work at your own pace also helps.
Old 27-02-2018, 10:43   #57

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Ooohh! Sounds nice. Photos??

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2018, 11:09   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
Ooohh! Sounds nice. Photos??
The beauty of these old boats in my opinion is the sound hulls and encapsulated lead ballast. Plus being an Alberg design there just so beautiful! Anyway she's an old beauty, glad I got my own classic for almost free and would do it all over again.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	triton.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	165048   Click image for larger version

Name:	triton 1.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	165049  

Old 27-02-2018, 11:22   #59

Quote:
While its not the best start, delaminated or wet decks aren't complex to deal with. It requires basic tools on those older models without headliners. It may take a little time but can be done right and not for to much money. I will post an article below for a few ideas just fyi.

Good Old Boat - Delamination is not spelled d-o-o-m article

I suppose if your not comfortable using a jig saw, table saw, glue, angle grinder, etc. this may be too much work. Which makes these sorts of boats such a good bargain for those of us who have no issue doing this sort of work. The ability to trailer home or move the boat home and work at your own pace also helps.
Yep, the trailer idea is good but everyone's circumstances are different.

I prepped my low priced/free $2,000 boat in a boatyard since I had an apartment only at the time I bought it which is why I did the very least then launched it

I wouldn't buy a boat with soft spots. I'm not the guy that would want that much to do on a boat besides the painting and all the rest

I'm the type that need a good hull and deck plus the boat must be loaded with equipment including good anchors and rode.

I'd also want a dodger and an autopilot all of which came on my boat. (and roller furling since I sail singehanded) I did have to replace the engine a couple times though and replaced the mainsail with a new one ........

So I put $3,000 in engines. An old diesel that failed and a new 5 hp 4 stroke extra long shaft outboard that I still use.

The 8 oz main was $1,600

Replacement autopilot $450.

Solar and controller maybe $150 - $200 since I have 3 controllers and 100 watts worth of panels. I only use one of the PVM controllers. The one in use I paid $18.00 for new. just hooked it up yesterday. The other two were $12.00 each. And I had one fail this past Winter that I paid $33.00 for. Condensation buildup

I removed a broken stanchion in 2016 and filled in the holes with epoxy. I bought a new base and stanchion but have yet to replace

I replaced the lifelines with polyester/dyneema line.....maybe $100.00
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	028.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	165050   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02068.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	368.3 KB
ID:	165051  

Name:	DSC02088.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	386.1 KB
ID:	165052   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02074.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	273.4 KB
ID:	165053  

Name:	B27-1.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	165054  
Old 27-02-2018, 11:30   #60

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
The beauty of these old boats in my opinion is the sound hulls and encapsulated lead ballast. Plus being an Alberg design there just so beautiful! Anyway she's an old beauty, glad I got my own classic for almost free and would do it all over again.
If it’s the ‘59 and west coast model it has the solid decks which do flex a bit when you walk on them, but that is not delamination or any cause for concern. Btw ‘59 was the first year! Very prestigious! The Columbia 29 was designed to compete with the Triton in ‘59. (The Columbia is a little faster!)
The Triton can be fitted with an outboard well, see atomvoyages.com. The Columbia 29 can’t really.
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote