Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-02-2018, 23:01   #76

Boat: Columbia 29 MK1 Hull #28
Re: FREE, or close to free!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefjo View Post
Saw this one some time ago. He does mention soft spots on the deck which may be a big deal for some do to the amount of work needed. Oh and is that a furling main?
Yeah deck soft spots certainly do require some elbow grease, and yes that Triton has roller furling!
406Columbia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2018, 23:09   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Progress will take years since I'd rather sail it than work on it.

The boat is seaworthy enough now to handle the 20 miles or so of open water that I sail across normally

I plan to paint the cockpit area in the early Spring, install another autopilot, then it will be time to sail after I put the jib and dodger back on

I love these older boats, that Bristol 27 is a sexy old boat. Do you have the dinette interior or the cruiser interior?
Old 28-02-2018, 03:30   #78

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by 406Columbia View Post
I love these older boats, that Bristol 27 is a sexy old boat. Do you have the dinette interior or the cruiser interior?
I have what used to be a dinette, but the PO, who I believe owned the boat a long time (estate sale) put a permanent settee there (port side) then installed an ice box, sink, and counter on the starboard side the facing of which wasn't painted

The guy was a bit of a pack rat though and the table top for the dinette was still on the boat when I found it as were the sails. The old electronics had to be mailed to me after I bought the boat.

The old cushions are always covered these days with a dark sheet, sleeping bag and/or an Alps Self Inflating Mountaineering Sleeping Pad

Pictures are of when I found the boat in 2011 and after cleanup. I have since painted the cabin sole and the front of the starboard side with lots more painting to be done. I also removed those white speakers after the old car radio he had mounted in there failed. (the sole had to be strengthened in one spot)

Sink drain is blocked off and I removed the hose. It wouldn't drain worth a crap anyway. All thruhulls are closed and some have no hose attached. All thruhulls are the originals from 1974 except one was plugged

The diesel was removed so prop shaft was filled with epoxy and the raw water intake/thruhull is closed

Ugly sail return from last year's vacation between squalls. (crossing 20 miles or so from North side to South) Stanchion on port side removed and holes epoxied over. Still need to install replacement

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B27 interior 2011.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	165099   Click image for larger version

Name:	B27 interior 2011-1.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	165100  

Name:	Bristol 27 Seacock.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	366.0 KB
ID:	165101  
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2018, 04:00   #79

Boat: Bristol 27

Check this thread.

Fix old boat or sell for the next guy to fix...........old boat projects can be never ending which is why I bought an old boat I can continue to sail between repairs (at least it's been this way since 2011)

Should I fix or sell my boat? - Cruisers & Sailing Forums
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2018, 09:50   #80

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Hey Don,

The model for sale on craigslist I posted was an east coast version, sadly. However the one I saw a few weeks ago out of SF was the solid deck you speak of, what a beauty. I love the atom voyages site, great articles!

Regarding the Columbia 29, glad to hear she is a bit faster . Also, ours does have the outboard well from the factory is that what you mean? Or were you speaking about the tilt up well the atom does? I don't feel guilty saying I think the Columbia 29 is one of the most beautiful boats ever.
Yeah our 29s have a well but it was designed for a Seagull engine and the rudder post location doesn’t leave enough room back there to do an atomvoyages kind of well modification without really major surgery in order to tilt the engine up that renders it pointless imo. Btw you ought to look at the pics of original c29. Also very nice with windows more like a Bristol.
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2018, 09:57   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Yeah our 29s have a well but it was designed for a Seagull engine and the rudder post location doesn’t leave enough room back there to do an atomvoyages kind of well modification without really major surgery in order to tilt the engine up that renders it pointless imo. Btw you ought to look at the pics of original c29. Also very nice with windows more like a Bristol.
Gotcha, and will do. The atom voyages tilt up set up is very appealing. Oh the reminds me, do you have any photos Don of your chain locker by chance?
Old 28-02-2018, 13:24   #82

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Pearson Triton (with diesel)...a classic, go anywhere boat...$1600 (asking, cdn). Location is Lake Huron (Ontario, Canada), I think.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sailboat/owe...ationFlag=true
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	$_59.JPG
Views:	202
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	165145  
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2018, 13:29   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
Pearson Triton (with diesel)...a classic, go anywhere boat...$1600 (asking, cdn). Location is Lake Huron (Ontario, Canada), I think.

GOOD GRIEF MAN, that's to close to where I live to be posting! Please have some decency and don't temp me like that! lol
Old 28-02-2018, 13:59   #84

Boat: in the works

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post

SWEET!
jefjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2018, 14:02   #85

I do love a nice old Cape Dory! This one is in Maine. Funny because ALL the boats I've seen listed in Maine have been way way over priced.
https://maine.craigslist.org/boa/d/c...506214575.html
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	dory.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	130.0 KB
ID:	165150  
Old 28-02-2018, 14:08   #86

"All reasonable offers considered." Catch is it's on one of the Finger Lakes in NY, so you could get it out through the canals (fun, maybe) or have it moved.

https://ithaca.craigslist.org/boa/d/...508499441.html
Old 28-02-2018, 14:17   #87

I'm thinking about grabbing this one. Needs a new compression post and cabin stripped sanded and painted, but otherwise not bad! I've heard Schock SUCKS for customer service if you need parts though... But still this could be a really fun boat to own!

https://syracuse.craigslist.org/boa/...476323290.html
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	schock.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	165154  
Old 28-02-2018, 16:24   #88

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Gotcha, and will do. The atom voyages tilt up set up is very appealing. Oh the reminds me, do you have any photos Don of your chain locker by chance?
Sure, if you look in my album of boat shots at my profile it is pic #50. The P.O. put a big spool in there for the nylon rode and there is bunch of chain hiding below in there. Mine has a lot of room but the later dinette models have much less since they squeezed the v-berth farther forward.
If I had that model I’d consider stowing the chain amidships, like in the hanging locker, when on longer passages... not sure how much chain will fit up in that smaller volume in the bow on later models
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2018, 17:17   #89

Tartan 30! This ones been on the market for a few months. The owner has a CL ad that says contact him directly to save on the brokers commission. Nice boat with an asking price of $9900.

East Shore Yacht Sales (New London, CT)
Old 28-02-2018, 17:18   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Sure, if you look in my album of boat shots at my profile it is pic #50. The P.O. put a big spool in there for the nylon rode and there is bunch of chain hiding below in there. Mine has a lot of room but the later dinette models have much less since they squeezed the v-berth farther forward.
If I had that model I’d consider stowing the chain amidships, like in the hanging locker, when on longer passages... not sure how much chain will fit up in that smaller volume in the bow on later models
https://newlondon.craigslist.org/boa...476647137.html