Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-10-2012, 05:25   #1

Boat: Ohlson 38
Frankenstorm!

Lordy, three converging storms!

Tracking Hurricane Sandy Up the East Coast - NYTimes.com
Old 26-10-2012, 06:25   #2

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'
Re: Frankenstorm!

Since Frankenstorm is such a great name for a major Halloween storm I propose to add a suffix so that it could be re-used for future major Halloween weather events.

Call this one Frankenstorm-Alpha perhaps!!
Old 26-10-2012, 06:33   #3

Boat: contessa 32

I'm running for cover;we here near NYC are at ground zero, came thru Hells Gate and up the Hudson River last year right after hurricane Irene. Saw a number off craft go by while still attached to their docks,some wrecked sailboats still on shore nearby in Kingston. That was just torrential rain, but this one promises big wind too.I just finished repairing my rail when Irene caused a breakaway schooner to slam me in New London.
Dontcha just love sailing?
Old 26-10-2012, 06:40   #4
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

love sailing, hide for storms....
Old 26-10-2012, 07:36   #5

Boat: Santana2023

So far their first impact map is between Cape May and Sandy Hook. Im in Toms River and hauling my boat tomorrow morning. Also, while doing a wheel change yesterday on a commercial vessel, fishing fleets were looking to get out of the area. Only 2 were able to find a secure location. The rest of the fleets will be forced to stick it out. These vessels will not leave unless neccessary and usually only do so when a storm reaches the Carolinas which then they begin their process. Yesterday she wasnt even to Jamaica and people were already trying to make arrangements. Not to mention the recreational boaters are scrambling to pull out and marinas around here are full up.
Old 26-10-2012, 08:49   #6
CLOD

Boat: none

I'm gotten 4 emails from my marina in 18 hours ramping up the fear level! From them I can tell on their end it is ramping up the dollar signs to go along with it.
Old 26-10-2012, 09:17   #7

Boat: 1977 Columbia 9.6 32 '

Here in Indiantown Florida, there is very little rain, so far. A bit of wind, but not compared to the last one.
Old 26-10-2012, 23:11   #8

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
May turn into a normal storm just bringing in wind and rain. I wonder if the media just wants to downplay the upcoming election for a few days.

Looking for something else to worry about.
Old 27-10-2012, 00:05   #9

Boat: C&C 35 MKIII
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail Send a message via Skype™ to chef2sail
May turn into a normal storm just bringing in wind and rain. I wonder if the media just wants to downplay the upcoming election for a few days.

Looking for something else to worry about.-Gary Mayo

Sounds like a conspiracy theory by the liberal media huh. Not sure if they are even powerfull enough to create a storm like this. Maybe the truth is this storm is the real deal.
Everyone Stay safe

Dave
Old 27-10-2012, 00:08   #10

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Some of you macho types can poo poo the projections and warnings but the tropical storm wind fields are suppose to be huge and we are well within them. I'm preparing for the worse and will be very happy if we're wrong.

Don't say they didn't warn you!
Old 27-10-2012, 03:39   #11

Boat: O'Day 28
Tropical Storm Sandy... Looks Nasty.

Hope all my East Coasties are hunkered down good. This looks tough.

Just looked at weather.com and, as of this typing, stretches from from what looks like Melourne FLA to almost Norfolk. Seems to be nibbling on the Charleston area right now.

This don't bode well either:

source:

captainpixystick comments on Here's what you should be doing to prep for Hurricane Sandy right now, if you work or have machines hosted on the East Coast

I would love for them to be WAY wrong..
Old 27-10-2012, 04:42   #12

Re: Tropical storm Sandy... Looks nasty.

y'all only have today and tomorrow--there has been a lot aid about this storm system and the potential over the last few days. check out storm 2k...best bunch of weather trackers i ever read. serious weather folks. nhc and passage weather have good weather tracking for sailing.
Old 27-10-2012, 04:45   #13

the prediction was originally for the hurrycame and 2 frontal systems to merge--if that happens, many land dwelling souls and many ocean dwelling souls would be in bad shape. if it doesnt come together, as has been the case most times the prediction for doom an gloom occurs on west coast, then , all is good, people are alive who coulda been dead, and wold moves on.
i hope it doesnt come together.
Old 27-10-2012, 04:56   #14

Boat: 1990 Ericson 32-200
Send a message via Skype™ to DennisM
Re: Tropical storm Sandy... Looks nasty.

My Ericson will be hauled out at 10:30 this morning.
Old 27-10-2012, 05:48   #15
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
Some of you macho types can poo poo the projections and warnings but the tropical storm wind fields are suppose to be huge and we are well within them. I'm preparing for the worse and will be very happy if we're wrong.

Don't say they didn't warn you!

As predicted, Sandy has recently been upgraded back up to hurricane status.

Here's one injury from Sandy that won't be recorded in the statistics. Yesterday I was stepping off my boat in gusty north winds. My boat is on the south side of the finger pier. An unexpected gust hit the side of my boat just as I stepped off, and I barely made contact with the dock before my foot slipped into thin air. Fortunately I had a good grip on a handhold on the dock and a line on my boat. I ended up hanging over the side of the boat holding on to those things, with one leg lying across the deck and one dangling in the water.

Fortunately a couple of people heard my shouts of help. They got the breast line under one foot so I could push myself up, and with help I was able to park my bottom on the finger dock. But I dangled for a while first.

I was very lucky. I could have hit my head on the finger dock and slipped into the water without anyone ever knowing it. How often have I told people that getting on and off is the most dangerous part and to focus only on what you are doing, but I was distracted by the demands of moving and didn't follow my own advice. If I had been focused on what I was doing, I would have loosened my starboard bow lines so the bow could move closer to the dock. I've done that many times before in a strong north wind, but not yesterday.

I have a sprained ankle and a lot of pulled, sore muscles (and a supply of muscle relaxants) and a few bruises -- much better off than Newt! -- and a valuable reminder about what I already knew.

I'm too stiff and sore today to attempt getting off the boat but this is small potatoes. I was lucky. Be careful out there!
Closed Thread