Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-10-2012, 05:52   #16
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'
Re: Frankenstorm!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
the prediction was originally for the hurrycame and 2 frontal systems to merge--if that happens, many land dwelling souls and many ocean dwelling souls would be in bad shape. if it doesnt come together, as has been the case most times the prediction for doom an gloom occurs on west coast, then , all is good, people are alive who coulda been dead, and wold moves on.
i hope it doesnt come together.

The reports I have seen today only increase that liklihood.

I have a daughter in NYC. What her friends do when they have big power outages is travel from apartment to apartment making sure all the ice cream gets eaten before it melts.
Old 27-10-2012, 06:34   #17

I am in Annapolis and have been paying rent to Jabins. Yesterday they refused to haul me as they were booked. I finally found a place on the Southern river to haul me out. I am leaving now to get over there. Liberty is only hauling for the storm. And I is a tight approach to the trAvellift between their dock and the bridge piling for the Solomon Island bridge in Edgewater, MD
Good luck every body!
Old 27-10-2012, 07:03   #18
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

my family members in hudson valley are residing in homes near creekbeds and in mountains isolated from the city and cities somewhere 180 miles north of nyc--in an area shattered and wiped out by irene--this is spozed to be worse. the cities have only one problem to concentrate on--eating the ice cream before it melts--RODLMAO--
the farmers and souls in upstate only have life and limb to concentrate on saving-- so eat your ice cream in nyc--and pray for the souls in upstate ny and in new england. blizzards in new england are still able to render that area incommunicado for a week without any difficulty.
floods in upstate ny are only able to wash away entire towns, as did irene.
nyc authorities ar reported to be considering closure of transit--underground--and 6-10 ft of surge pus high tide will not be fun nor safe.
our nation's capital is also in the way--and chessy--so--gawdblessour great, once, nation and may you all be ok.
it is easy for those of us not used to these storms--even those who are used to them--to understand the ramifications of a slip up in provisioning. is kind of the same as extreme cruising, long passages.
i m very very concerned about the folks in upper ny and in new england with this cold cold blizzardly monster of a storm.
sandy killed in caribean--and that was warm rain and high winds and surge--add severe cold and and there is a logarithmic increase in danger.
the 2 fronts coming into play are also COLD with precipitation of heavy amounts. the anticipated total precipitation predicted in some parts of new england is 24 inches in less than 48 hours. can you deal with this much freeking SNOW?????
isnt just 24 inches when speaking of snow. inches of rain convert to feet of snow easily and in short order. it takes more water to crate a drop of rain than it does a snowflake, even a heavy wet one.

am close to holding my breath with this one....1200 mile diameter is a huge storm.

everyone in this storm's cone of death--please be safe!!!

what my family does in upstate, is hang on for dear life and help the neighbors.
Old 27-10-2012, 07:15   #19
cruiser

"the cities have only one problem to concentrate on--eating the ice cream before it melts--RODLMAO-- "

I didn't say that.
Old 27-10-2012, 07:24   #20

back to reality.....

this is latest for hudson valley, ny area--
Quote:
The Weather Dork
Great information from The Hudson Valley facebook page for New York. I'll post another status for northern Virginia in a few moments:

***IMPORTANT SITES TO KNOW - BE SURE TO SHARE***

We expect there to be numerous alerts from late tomorrow through the middle of the week in the entire Hudson Valley, and surrounding areas.

For up to the minute information on NY State EAS Alerts (note the counties affected by the alert), visit: https://login.nyalert.gov/Public/New...newsType=ALERT

For recent weather radar loops, including recent watches and warnings, visit: http://radar.weather.gov/ridge/radar...01111&loop=yes (Radar times are shown at the top of the map. If it doesn't update automatically, click "reload" occasionally.)

For general hurricane preparedness information, including what to do before, during, and after a hurricane, visit: http://www.ready.gov/hurricanes

For a basic list of supplies you should have on hand, visit: http://www.ready.gov/basic-disaster-supplies-kit

To report and monitor a power outage with Central Hudson, visit: https://inet.cenhud.com/CustomerServ...rblReport.aspx

To report and monitor a power outage with NYSEG, visit: http://ebiz1.nyseg.com/cusweb/outagenotification.aspx

If you're in touch with people who don't have internet access (i.e. neighbors, etc) - be sure to share news and information with them, to help them out. Remember, we're all in this together.
Old 27-10-2012, 07:32   #21

for virginia, this from same source---

The Weather Dork
Quote:
‎***IMPORTANT SITES TO KNOW - BE SURE TO SHARE***

There will be numerous alerts from late tomorrow throughout northern Virginia.

For up to the minute information on VA State Alerts visit:
Virginia Department of Emergency Management (VDEM)

For recent weather radar loops, including recent watches and warnings, visit: NWS radar image loop of Composite Reflectivity from Sterling, VA (Radar times are shown at the top of the map. If it doesn't update automatically, click "reload" occasionally.)

For general hurricane preparedness information, including what to do before, during, and after a hurricane, visit: Hurricanes | Ready.gov

For a basic list of supplies you should have on hand, visit: Basic Disaster Supplies Kit | Ready.gov

To report and monitor a power outage with Dominion Electric, visit: https://www.dom.com/storm-center/dom...outage-map.jsp

To report and monitor a power outage with NOVEC, visit:
Outage Information

To report and monitor a natural gas issue with Washington Gas, visit: Washington Gas - Home Page
Old 27-10-2012, 08:50   #22

Boat: Sea Sprite 34

With all these storms here in Norfolk area, the flooding is the issue. This storm will have 40kt winds from the NE for 2.5days, the flooding will be pretty substantial. The waters will rise with each tide cycle and not really suside any. They are already 1.5 above normal. Because of the wind direction and strength the water is not allowed to leave the bay and instead piles up in the southern bay and inlets. I put a few extra dock lines and will keep my fingers crossed. More worried about the house at this point....had kayakers going by the front of the house in Irene.
1966 Alberg 300 Jante II hull #150.....preparing to get underway!
USCG 100T Master Near Coastal
Old 27-10-2012, 09:13   #23
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiser2B View Post
With all these storms here in Norfolk area, the flooding is the issue. This storm will have 40kt winds from the NE for 2.5days, the flooding will be pretty substantial. The waters will rise with each tide cycle and not really suside any. They are already 1.5 above normal. Because of the wind direction and strength the water is not allowed to leave the bay and instead piles up in the southern bay and inlets. I put a few extra dock lines and will keep my fingers crossed. More worried about the house at this point....had kayakers going by the front of the house in Irene.

If there is anything fortunate about this at all it is that Irene last year was a wake-up call for the very real risk even inland.
Old 27-10-2012, 10:33   #24
RDW

Boat: Morris 1996 46' Lexington

I have limited experience but I would think a North or Northeast wind would blow water out of the bay not into the bay. Teach me something.
RDW
Old 27-10-2012, 12:10   #25

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Ah, my Honda 2000 is full and started first pull.

I'm hauling Monday lunch time. The forecast (which resembles in tracking that of Hurricane Hazel in 1954 which killed 81 people here is Toronto) is calling for an exceedingly wet and gusty Hallowe'en evening.

My wife asked if "they" would reschedule Hallowe'en.

I don't think it's an official holiday, so no...
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
Old 27-10-2012, 12:51   #26

This is the type of storm I wouldn't like, and would want to avoid. It happened last year too, it might not have been a hurricane, but the NorthEast has a large snow storm on Halloween last year.

Maybe I should do the Great Loop and travel down the Mississippi during October instead of the ICW in the spring and fall...
Old 27-10-2012, 12:54   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSuperior View Post
Since Frankenstorm is such a great name for a major Halloween storm I propose to add a suffix so that it could be re-used for future major Halloween weather events.

Call this one Frankenstorm-Alpha perhaps!!
Nope, at least Beta if not whatever C stands for. 1938 mega storm damn near blew Long Island off the map. Then there was the "Perfect Storm" from the book & movie, forget what year.

Or, maybe only Halloween counts!
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Old 27-10-2012, 13:11   #28

predicted blizzard conditions new england--this should prove to be entertaining. i hope the preparation was begun 5 days ago when first warnings were sent out..
be safe!
Old 27-10-2012, 13:22   #29

I've done all I can do in Yorktown, VA. Now it's just a matter of riding out the storm.
Old 27-10-2012, 13:33   #30

Boatyard near my mooring field was busy pulling boats today and the NEVER work on Saturday. I've added a second heavy line on the mooring and deployed my antisail drogue:
THE BIANKA LOG BLOG: LESSONS FROM A HURRICANE: AN ANTI SAIL DROGUE
Mr. NOAA is talking winds 25 to 35 knots and that does not seem too bad. I've got a lot of empty moorings around me and have got some pretty good protection in the north and east. But, NOAA is talking 1 to 1 1/2 above astronomical high tide which is still not too bad as we have seen that before. But, then they throw in depending on the timing of the storm "possible" four to eight feet above. Now that could be a game changer if it happens.