Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2012, 07:23   #226
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: Frankenstorm!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
This one is a more standard Nor'easter. They weren't that unusual when I lived in New Jersey. My mom always made sure we had candles and such in case the power went out. Sometimes we got snow and sometimes we didn't. In one stupendous storm, we went into a state park in the New Jersey pine barrens for Thanksgiving with another family. It was a dirt road for miles ... and then we got dumped with two feet of snow the night after Thanksgiving. Someone, I suppose the National Guard, actually airlifted food in to the park using a helicopter -- I'd never seen one in person before. The cabin next to us burned to the ground and all the other people there took those people in (thank goodness no one was hurt) so they had a roof over their heads). After that the four adults in our group took turns keeping watch. The fire had been caused by a dirty chimney and there was no reason to think our cabin was any safer. Monday afternoon road plows finally reached us, and we were able to go home.

I hope the media doesn't over-hype this, although any storm will multiply the misery. I hope they give you accurate information.
thursday is the prediction for this fast moving low,bringing ne winds on the e coast,but weather services are not even sure it will develop at the moment.
i think i would be more worried about freezing weather from the associated high pressure!

weather model gfs - north america - precipitation [base + 138] - loop - weatheronline
Old 04-11-2012, 07:28   #227
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
Key words.

Yes -- "even as its force weakened." That storm had astounding capacity to pile water up on land.

In Gulfport, near where I used to live, they have signs around town. There are a couple six feet above the ground that say "Category 1." The signs are supposed to remind people of how high the storm surge is likely to be even if the hurricane is "only" category 1.

Post-tropical Sandy still had hurricane force winds, but they (as you know) would have been called "category 1" -- and no one expected a 13 - 14 ft storm surge in NYC.

The whole thing reminds me of something from that TWC show "It Could Happen Tomorrow," where they imagine worst-case scenarios for all sorts of natural disasters and then image what the destruction would be like ... except this was real. It wasn't hype.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:32   #228

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
I didn't say you said it was a Cat 4. I said they wouldn't have called it a Cat 4,

Of course not.

Because it was a Cat 1.

Pretty simple.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:04   #229
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:

Do we really have to bicker about this?

I would have to say no, but that isn't stopping it.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:18   #230

Boat: OEM, proportional

Does not.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:13   #231

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
Several friends here debate the nature of this storm. Hurricane? Big storm?

In one city alone, 7 million people were brought to their knees for what will turn out to me months. Years later, some will still be hurting. Up and down the coast and 500 miles inland and beyond, people are killed and hurting. Ships at sea lost, people killed.

Hospitals closed, mass transit closed.

Put any name you want on it, this will be the most costly storm in dollars and lives to hit the US, possibly ever. If this were a game of bowling, the winds, rains, threw a perfect strike.

Click image for larger version

Name:	564886_295818877185912_137138802_n.jpeg
Views:	138
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	49214

Name:	478-OnuEa.AuSt.91.jpeg
Views:	126
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	49211

Name:	sandy+storm+damage.jpeg
Views:	281
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	49212

Name:	post-dandy-destruction-pf.jpeg
Views:	159
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	49213
Old 04-11-2012, 10:48   #232

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryMayo View Post
Several friends here debate the nature of this storm. Hurricane? Big storm?

In one city alone, 7 million people were brought to their knees for what will turn out to me months. Years later, some will still be hurting. Up and down the coast and 500 miles inland and beyond, people are killed and hurting. Ships at sea lost, people killed.

Hospitals closed, mass transit closed.

Put any name you want on it, this will be the most costly storm in dollars and lives to hit the US, possibly ever. If this were a game of bowling, the winds, rains, threw a perfect strike.
I have a friend that is still hurting from Katrina.

Imagine if Sandy had been a Katrina or an Andrew!
Old 04-11-2012, 11:37   #233
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
Of course not.

Because it was a Cat 1.

Pretty simple.

Yes. I don't understand the the flap is about.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:38   #234
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
I would have to say no, but that isn't stopping it.

It takes two, and I'm not playing.
Old 04-11-2012, 14:55   #235
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
thursday is the prediction for this fast moving low,bringing ne winds on the e coast,but weather services are not even sure it will develop at the moment.
i think i would be more worried about freezing weather from the associated high pressure!

weather model gfs - north america - precipitation [base + 138] - loop - weatheronline

It's a real concern. A lot of people don't have heat.
Old 04-11-2012, 15:22   #236

Boat: O'Day 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryMayo View Post
Put any name you want on it, this will be the most costly storm in dollars and lives to hit the US, possibly ever.
Capt Mayo, Sir:

100+ deaths with Sandy, 1800 deaths with Katrina. Katrina $125 billion with a b. Guess we don't know about Sandy yet, and given the population density differences, possibly more expensive beach homes were destroyed than with Katrina but try explaining that to those just plain folks in N.O.
Old 04-11-2012, 16:57   #237

Location: Quaker Hill, CT (just above the US Coast Guard Academy)
Boat: Silverton 34 Convertible

This is what happened to us in New London....and that's only in the north end of the yard...LL
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	palmspringsburrs 097.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	453.9 KB
ID:	49231   Click image for larger version

Name:	palmspringsburrs 098.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	443.9 KB
ID:	49232  

Name:	palmspringsburrs 099.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	456.6 KB
ID:	49233  
Old 04-11-2012, 18:04   #238

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deck Scrubber View Post
I'm hearing whispers of another storm heading our way, does anyone know anything about this?
Atol...Mr Weatherman?
I'd say they are little more than whispers. Here is the latest Special Weather Statement for my area tonight:

"LOW TEMPERATURES MONDAY NIGHT ARE EXPECTED TO FALL INTO THE 20S.
THOSE WITHOUT POWER SHOULD BE PREPARED FOR ANOTHER COLD NIGHT.

A SIGNIFICANT COASTAL STORM WILL LIKELY IMPACT THE TRI-STATE
REGION WEDNESDAY AND THURSDAY. CONFIDENCE CONTINUES TO INCREASE
THAT STRONG GUSTY WINDS...RAIN/WINTRY PRECIPITATION...COASTAL
FLOODING AND ADDITIONAL BEACH EROSION WILL RESULT FROM THIS
SYSTEM. STAY TUNED FOR THE LATEST FORECASTS."

I'd say it's time to end the season for me. I was lucky and found my boat floating with only minor damage after Sandy. Since my boatyard is getting ansty to pull the boat I'll oblige them. The docks here have taken a beating and who knows how well they will hold up in another Nor' easter. I've taken off the sails and dropped the boom literally on the deck. Just waiting for the stick and boat to be pulled. I'll sleep easier even if it is in a house with no power.
Old 04-11-2012, 18:43   #239

Mike where is homeport...? I've read a number of your terrific blog entries and am not seeing where you anchor or moor.
Old 04-11-2012, 20:57   #240

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab

Capt Mayo, Sir:

100+ deaths with Sandy, 1800 deaths with Katrina. Katrina $125 billion with a b. Guess we don't know about Sandy yet, and given the population density differences, possibly more expensive beach homes were destroyed than with Katrina but try explaining that to those just plain folks in N.O.
Did not say the largest storm, but how many storms kill over 100 people? Not many.

This storm could break Katrina for dollar damage, so the reports go. 106 Billion for Katrina.

Sandys Integerated Kinetic Enegry index or IKE was 140 Terajoules. That was a reading 20 higher than Katrina. The highest reading was Isabel in 2003. All this according to the University of Miami.

The 1833 (1836 be another count) is not body's in bags, that is numbers from several sources, including reported missing persons. Child support payment deadbeats hardly pass as room temperature bodies. The real number is still a horrendous 1400 or so, as a more realistic figure.

Compare this to the 10,000 missing from one town of 17,000 in Japan due to the tsunami.
Closed Thread