Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2013, 07:03   #1

Boat: Valiant 40
Framing and hanging pictures

We all know that the one thing that fares worst on a boat is paper. It's hydroscopic and it softens, wrinkles, and generally does not have a good time.

I'd like to hang some pictures in my boat and and would like to hear what strategies people have used to:

a) Protect the framed contents from moisture as best as possible. In my long past youth I worked in a frame shop so I have a better than average sense of what can be done materials and construction wise, but then again I never framed anything going on a boat so I don't have any applicable real-world experience.

b) Hang pictures by a method that does as little "damage" to the surface, such as a wood bulkhead, but also is secure in a seaway.

One obvious strategy for the first is to simply not hang works on paper, but I'm curious people here have a solution for paper that works. Among other things, I have a crayon drawing of a school of fish that one of my daughters did when she was small that I would love to hang if I can find a way to protect it.

Thanks a bunch!

Alex
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:13   #2
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Framing and hanging pictures

If they're cheap prints, you could always laminate them before framing them.

I'm glad you ask this, though - cos WHMO and I want to hang our Indian Honeymoon prints once we're out of the Middle east... and the paper they're on is quite old and flimsy...
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:28   #3

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucySailoress View Post
I'm glad you ask this, though - cos WHMO and I want to hang our Indian Honeymoon prints once we're out of the Middle east...
You married the White House Military Office? No wonder you want to wait until you leave the middle east.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:48   #4
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Framing and hanging pictures

Tape the reverse sides so they are sealed... as for hanging... I just luv stick n stick Velcro...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:10   #5
Armchair Bucketeer

I've only got one picture on a bulkhead (and it's a photo, so easy to replace) - to fix it on I drilled through the frame each side and used a couple of screws with domed brass caps (used in Bathrooms, at least in the UK they are).

Maybe with daughter's pic, run it through a photocopier and be prepared to replace every few years!
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 23:47   #6

Boat: Jeanneau 57

I use picture hanging velcro (Picture Hangers) except I will use not one but several to ensure that nothing budges during heavy weather.

I have a hammered copper Pelican on the bulkhead that is affixed with 6 of these strips and it hasn't moved a bit or scratched up the bulkhead.

http://www.sv-zanshin.com/images/big...pelican-up.jpg
Old 07-07-2013, 01:11   #7

Boat: Baba 35

I sell art for a living and until now it has never been something I could use to contribute to this forum.

If the work you want to frame is original (On canvas or paper) you will want to have it framed in wood (Avoid metal) with an acid free mat. You should also consider using museum glass as it will block UV which tends to discolor the work (Yellowing it) in short time.

Make sure to ask for a paper backing with foam core mount as that will completely block out moister from the work.

I would not recommend using wire for hanging work aboard. Instead use a "security" install. Which is a mounting system that uses "nook" hardware at the top of the piece and a locking mechanism at the bottom. That will hold the frame in place and it will be the only thing left standing even if you pitchpole.
Patient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 02:52   #8
Armchair Bucketeer

Completely unrelated to boats! - but a mate's son has started exhibiting and selling his art. However, he painted a few pictures on chipboard (no idea why!) and the fella who wants to buy them is keen to hang them in his pool area, so very likely to be getting damp.......and is puzzling over how to treat the pics (and chipboard) to keep them free from damp, at least long enough for the cheque to clear!

My thinking is epoxy on the back and edges of the chipboard - but not sure what to use to seal the picture itself, seems that all varnish has a tint of some sort.....and easy to see how a coating of Epoxy could go badly!, especially for a first time user.

Any ideas? Seal the frame?
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:50   #9

Boat: islandpacket
I dont hang anything. I bolt it to the bulkhead.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:56   #10

Boat: a sailing boat

I think any print can be laminated prior to framing. Then a framed image can be hung with 3M dual lock.

Glue of dual lock can be removed with a solvent (but there will be a lighter patch of varnish under where the image was, if it was there for any reasonable time).

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote