Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2010, 09:10   #16

Boat: 36' custom steel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve W View Post
Normally I would jump on this, but can't figure out where the reluctance is coming from. Window shopper's remorse?
Because you enjoy looking, analyzing and thinking about boats more than sailing them. You've got this image of perfection in your mind and deep down you know that no matter what boat you pick, it ain't gonna be perfect. Which is true. So, you've got to decide which world you want to live in.
Old 10-08-2010, 18:31   #17

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran
Steve W -
I hate to say this now that you've found the perfect boat but --- have you considered a catamaran? I've got two knee replacements, a metal rod up one femur, another one into my hip, and a piece of metal in one elbow. I can set off airport metal detectors by just thinking about flying somewhere.
I find life a lot easier on a cat, and your wife might also. Just a thought.
Old 10-08-2010, 21:47   #18
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Steve… a married friend of mine once said

… “the boat is the only mistress my wife approves of…”

Perhaps that is the problem with this boat given that she has all the right color trim and is such a practical mistress….

Could it be that you still haven’t decided what it is that you really want?
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 02:56   #19

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!
The next game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve W
and I guess mostly I was surprised to literally "trip" over the boat I have been looking for and am starting the buying process. I suspected more sailors would have the "next boat" always in mind like I did...and now we have found it.
Boat hunting is a game, and you unexpectedly got check mated. It takes a few moments to accept that the game is truly over... just when you were having so much fun!

What now?

Start the next game. Put a rediculously low offer in and see what happens. Haggle from there. It's fun, and you may stitch up a good deal. That leaves you with a chance to sell out later without a loss if you find you're not happy with it, or you can sell your current boat at below normal price and still come out ahead for the change over.

It's a great time to be playing boats.

Vic

PS. FSMike has a good point about considering a cat in your circumstamces

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 03:15   #20

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualVagabond View Post

PS. FSMike has a good point about considering a cat in your circumstamces
+1 on the cat.
Old 11-08-2010, 04:29   #21

I was in your shoes not long ago Steve. Needed bigger boat was for wifes health issues. I wanted a spacific boat year modle and color and not to mention cheap. I started the search, even posting to everyone I wanted one and in a short time She found us. As I sat the first time in her cabin thinking about it, I will say I did question if it was what I wanted ? Perfect boat more then I could ever expected, and still asking is it what I want and can I deal with? "Becareful what you wish for" popped in my head a few times while sitting there.

You have more of a choice and maybe to long to think about it, mine was easy, it was then or miss out what really has been a dream come true.

Good luck I hope it works out for you.
Mario G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 05:02   #22

Boat: Newport 28 MKII
We have not considered a cat, always sailed monos. I am guessing here, but a Gemini is the max beam our marina (10 minutes from our home) will handle. A trawler is probably in our future, but not for several years, if the Admiral's health will hold out. Vic's "checkmate" observation is great, shopping for the next boat is a lot of fun. Pelagic's "practical mistress" is probably not far from being right for many of us. Mario seems to have been in our situation and I appreciate everyone's insights. Will look at the boat this weekend, though there is now some question of what the draft and mast height actually is. I plan to insist on talking directly to the owner to confirm what is represented. I guess if I can't get the broker to set up a conversation with the owner, I'll take the ID# and contact the mfg. The draft and mast height has to be right, or we give up 100 miles of beautiful river sailing and can't get to the docks at our favorite waterfront restaurants and bars.

Thanks again for all the comments,

Steve
Steve W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 07:23   #23

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran
SteveW -
I would guess you're referring to the Shands bridge at Green Cove Springs. PITA. I recently bought an Allied Seawind ketch (about 44' mast height off the water) because we have to unstep the mast of our cat to get home. Doctors have been keeping us close to home for the past two years so I wanted something to go sailing on for a day or two at least.
Shoot me a PM if you ever plan on getting up river to Welaka, we'll get together and have a beer.
Local knowledge says the bridge has 47' clearance in the middle at low tide. I have not personally verified this so no guarantees.
P.S. When you go look at the boat take along a soft 50' tape measure and run it up the halyard. You'd be amazed how many folk do not know exactly how tall their mast is.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:05   #24

Boat: not much yet
With all due respect, and with the full acknowledgment that I know nothing except book facts about sailboats, I have to chime in here because of one of your "reasons".
My mother died of complications from Lupus. It is killing my sister now. I have a rheumatoid count that would scare a lot of elderly folks bad. I keep a bottle of Oxycodone handy for when they are needed. I am on a five day boost using a medicine that I can tolerate just about that long to get the bumps and inflammation down in my fingers.
Number one rule if you have a progressive. You don't get it back, and it will always hurt more tomorrow. Always! I am in my early 50's and it has become a game of trying to slow the progression, not get rid of it.
I sincerely wish I could load my other up and go for a few years while we both still can. Perfect boat or not.
Unfortunately, it is a really lousy time to be trying to sell your 28 footer!
Ahnlaashock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 12:12   #25

Boat: C&C 34 & Sonar One Design
Hate to rain on your parade but, to quote you, "I want to make it easier and more comfortable for her, so we can keep sailing together" is just not going to happen with her degenerating physaical condition. Heeling boats and choppie seas do not lend themselves to physical comfort. If you want to stay on the water comfortably without endangering the "admiral" even more, how about a sailor's powerboat...a trawler?