Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2014, 18:55   #1186

Boat: Cabo Rico 38 / Bayfield 32
Re: Forum Member's Boat and Daughter in Trouble off of Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Chicken View Post
DVIDS - Video - Guardian Angels from the Rebel Heart Search

This press release by the 129th answers a few of the questions which have been speculated on here. Originally I picked it up in a tweet from Eric. It's 23 minutes long, but worth the watch.
Thanks for posting the link! This was well worth the time and put some questions to rest. As April 15th approaches, I can say I'm proud to pay taxes if this is what I'm paying for. Not too often I can say that.
Old 10-04-2014, 18:58   #1187
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltyhog View Post
Thanks for posting the link! This was well worth the time and put some questions to rest. As April 15th approaches, I can say I'm proud to pay taxes if this is what I'm paying for. Not too often I can say that.
Yes that video puts a lot of these Armchair Sailors who HAVE boats to shame. Answers a lot of Q's/

God bless the USA.
Old 10-04-2014, 19:54   #1188
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
only if i could have borrowed boatguys inflatable armchair

but minarete,kenomac,wotname,mantus anchors,were all there making sure i had a parachute

not forgettin toby on oflo,that could have provided the transport
Matey, I was repacking the parachute when Boatie piped up gave me some pointers on how to do it better .

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Don't let Atoll bullsh*t you, this was entirely his idea and his alone and he volunteered his services gratis from the start, because he saw an opportunity to save a vessel in distress, as any true mariner with salt in his veins will. When someone volunteers their quite capable services like this, the least the rest of us can do is take them seriously and facilitate however we can. I honestly believe that he could have done it. A shame it didn't develop. And kudos to Atoll for being so willing to volunteer a big chunk of his time and effort, at some risk, to save a fine vessel. I'd go to sea with him any day, and that's the finest compliment I know how to make.
Not me .... see below

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
Yep, that is the atoll we all know, but as far as going to sea with him, bring soap. lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Yea, just be careful if you have to bend over to pick it up! He seems to be used to a salad girl on his crew...
Which is why I only volunteered on-shore support and $

Now back to the thread - It was a shame the recovery attempt was thwarted - what a tremendous thread that would have made - to say nothing of reuniting Eric and RH.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 10-04-2014, 20:10   #1189
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Personally speaking, I've made it a point not to mock anyone that needed rescue irrespective of the reasons why, no more then I didnt mock wolfhound, or the atlas rescue etc etc.

I have no truck , with the punish them for their sins mentality.

I like others would have my personal views on the issues of such a voyage. But I would never castigate the call for help , irrespective of the circumstances.

Glad all are ok , kudos for the awesome rescue.

Dave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
In this constant examination and reexamination of Eric's every qualification I have to speak up. Everyone has to start somewhere. There has to be the first passage for everyone. That he had things go wrong with his boat and his baby is not necessarily his fault. No I really don't have too much to say about Eric and his family. I still dont know the facts by someone who took the voyage. But I do support them leaving for the first time in an ocean crossing. Anyone should have the opportunity to grow, to do something new. Those that say differently....well...they do keep the thread moving along.
Well said Gentlemen.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 10-04-2014, 20:11   #1190

Boat: Mariner 40 Ketch

What a great rescue team, makes me proud and confident. That these guys have our back when needed. I hope the naysayers and sofa sailors have learned something from the real story.

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 10-04-2014, 21:41   #1191

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatInHand View Post
Eric is one of the few people on CF that I have respect for.
That's a bit harsh.
There are actually a lot of members here worthy of respect. A lot of them only post occasionally, but they have wisdom and experience when they do.
I've dipped into this pool many times and almost every time I've had great information, thoughts and experience to draw on. I've also had some idiots but you soon work out who is worth listening to.

Atoll in particular is an old pal and I've emailed him from way off shore if I've needed input or info I can't get without the internet. He is worth every beer I've ever bought him
Come to think of it, I probably owe him a few more by now

Vic

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
Old 10-04-2014, 23:29   #1192

Boat: saga kan walker 31ft
Send a message via Skype™ to sctpc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
The initiating cause was the baby's first infection with salmonella. The ultimate cause, it would appear, is that they took some quack's word that she was ready to travel. The baby's relapse was entirely predictable. Charlotte stated that they were both diagnosed with Salmonella on March 11. If they got the standard course of treatment, a week of antibiotics, they would have finished those about the 18th or so of March. A ten minute check of medical sites on the internet shows that 15 to 20% of infants relapse after treatment. The relapse usually occurs one to three weeks after the initial treatment ends. It would seem that the baby's relapse occurred pretty much in the middle of that time span. The mistake that Eric and Charlotte made was trusting the doctor's word
Well that was a hell of an expensive lesson, I would never had guessed it could relapse and I would bet if the Doctor had told them they would not have gone.
I also agree RH may have had problems but if Lyla had not relapsed they would have made NZ, I firmly believe RH was lost over more stress to the family

Old 11-04-2014, 00:24   #1193
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Some of you may notice that a couple of your posts have been removed. Sorry for that but we had to clean up the mess a bit from some inappropriate posts from a certain source. If you responded or quoted to a post that has since been deleted then you may find that it has vanished.

Thanks

Coops.
Old 11-04-2014, 01:08   #1194

Boat: Islander Freeport 41' Ketch

When Eric is good and ready to tell his story, I promise he will be honest and communicate clearly. This is the man we have been reading for a long time. I think we know enough to trust him. He will tell every mistake he made, and what he did right, and what he tells us will probably end up saving lives.
To paraphrase MarkJ, let's cut to the chase-- what the **** happened?
“If you end up with a boring miserable life because you listened to your mom, your dad, your teacher, your priest, or some guy on television telling you how to do your ****, then you deserve it.” ― Frank Zappa
Old 11-04-2014, 01:45   #1195

Boat: saga kan walker 31ft
Send a message via Skype™ to sctpc

Well to all the why cant people give me a donation. Read Charlotte`s Blog she is asking for "While we are thankful for the unsolicited generosity we have received and
been offered, we encourage you to consider donating to That Others May Live
(That Others May Live Foundation ), which provides relief to the families of
members of the United States Air Force Rescue community when tragedy
strikes." Now whats your problem?

Old 11-04-2014, 05:06   #1196

Boat: ?

Quote:
LOL !you guys are reading too much into it.........it was an ideal oppotunity to get a bit of peace and quiet from the wife and kids for 5or 6 weeks......this is after all why most men got to work isnt it?

wow.
i'm more or less new here...and generally when i'm here i'm primarily searching for specific information.

but (wow again)
after reading this thread....and obviously this current thread..i must say that Atoll might be one of the finer examples of a human i've ever known or seen or even heard of..
anywhere.
online or in the real world.

it goes without saying the world could use a long more 'Atolls...

cheers to you man!
Old 11-04-2014, 05:16   #1197
Pusher of String

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Trisbal 42, Aluminum Cutter Rigged Sloop

Not that Atoll's not great, he is, but Atoll is a product of cruising culture. You will find many Atolls out cruising who are ready to lend a hand to help anyone in need.

It is only here in the "real world" that we are so surprised when someone offers to help - we have forgotten the value of our fellows.

Atoll has brought that here to the forum. Many others who cruise leave it behind.

"You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm."
Sidonie Gabrielle Colette
Old 11-04-2014, 05:17   #1198

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubby View Post
wow.
i'm more or less new here...and generally when i'm here i'm primarily searching for specific information.

but (wow again)
after reading this thread....and obviously this current thread..i must say that Atoll might be one of the finer examples of a human i've ever known or seen or even heard of..
anywhere.

cheers to you man!
Whoa man be careful. You come in here all casual and inflate Atoll's ego like crazy and we don't know if you're even going to stick around. Next thing we know is you leave and we still have to live with Atoll on here for a long time.
Old 11-04-2014, 05:25   #1199
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubby View Post
wow.

but (wow again)
anywhere.

cheers to you man!
the zennamarine thread was a good one,and just goes to show why ships say they are "Bound For",not "Going To",......"Man plans......God Laughs!"

about the other bit,can you swing that past my wife........i am fairly sure she would not agree.....but thanks anyway
Old 11-04-2014, 05:29   #1200

Boat: Wittholz 39' Cutter by Kanter, CSY 37 Cutter

Quote:
the zennamarine thread was a good one,and just goes to show why ships say they are "Bound For",not "Going To",......"Man plans......God Laughs!"

about the other bit,can you swing that past my wife........i am fairly sure she would not agree.....but thanks anyway

Atoll, I think it is time that you let your wife have the keyboard for awhile so that we can hear from her.....

All kidding aside Atoll you do represent what is great about the cruisers can do attitude and the helping that is common amongst them. Cheers!
Closed Thread

Tags
crew, member, Mexico, rescue, rum, mexico