Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2014, 17:56   #1021

Boat: 1972 Aquarius 23'
Re: Forum Member's Boat and Daughter in Trouble off of Mexico

Welcome back to land and home. I feel your pain of losing the comfort of your home. I hope for the best for your whole family.

Glad you checked in.

wandering and wondering around with no destionation
Old 09-04-2014, 17:57   #1022

Boat: PAE, Mason, 44 - Music

Welcome back; Get some rest; Ignore all the JERKS that have commented on your blog. We (the CF community) would love to hear your side of the story. Until then rest and appreciate your family!
Old 09-04-2014, 18:06   #1023

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driftwoods View Post
I figure if you don't want to just donate, buy Eric's book! Unauthorized Guide to Sailing in Mexico. Make him a best selling author, I'm getting the Kindle edition right now.

That some people will review the book at 1 star and make negative comments when they clearly did not read the book just blows me away.
I read through the preview. It looks practical and useful. I'm getting the paper-back. The whole area is on our plan. I suspect the general advice will be useful on the Atlantic side as well.
Old 09-04-2014, 18:11   #1024

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Of course they would. I'd bet the farm on it. But those are the people who are best ignored.
HMMmmmmmmmmm. I hear farms are particularly dangerous.
Old 09-04-2014, 18:15   #1025

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
...or Dillowit.

adverb for snarking without wit.
How about both?

A Dillowit Dilloway or Dilloway Dillowit.

But, please, let's NOT write on her blog, she might get a trifle upset...
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Old 09-04-2014, 18:16   #1026

Boat: Mariner 40 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
HMMmmmmmmmmm. I hear farms are particularly dangerous.
Yes, take it from me, I grew up on one. Thank God I'm still alive! hahaha
Old 09-04-2014, 18:19   #1027

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
It's a good thing Peter Tangvald is not alive today. They would surely lock him up and take away his kids. If you've never heard of him here is a brief summary:

THOMAS TANGVALD: In His Father's Wake

It's a fascinating and tragic story of one of our greatest engine-less sailor of years gone by. His whole story is in his autobiography ..At Any Cost: Love, Life & Death at Sea : An Autobiography: Peter Tangvald: 9780944428092: Amazon.com: Books

The title says it all.
Man!!!...Wild story!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
Hey guys, we're all fine and back in San Diego.

The media has been all over us and honestly the facts are so distorted at this point I don't even know where to start. In the few hours we've been back in town the media has been all over us, right up to the front door of our doctor's office when we were getting Lyra checked out.

The rescuers (the 129th California Air National Guard and the USS Vandegrift) were amazing; I've never met a better group of professionals.

I totally want to give you guys all the details but I need the media storm to die down. I've been so amazed at the support that the sailing community has offered us. There was a sailboat that came by the USS Vandegrift on our way into San Diego Harbor that had Rebel Heart banners streaming off of it.

I know some people with disagree with whatever actions I took, but for those of you who support me I want you to know that you've warmed my heart. This entire thing has humbled me and I feel an immense sense of gratitude towards everyone involved.

I promise I'll come back with all the details, but we need to get away from the cameras and lose our fifteen minutes of fame first.
Glad to have you and yours back safe and sound. I am assuming my 1936 copy of Typee went to Davy Jones' locker. You'll have to tell us the wheel story...CS
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 09-04-2014, 18:20   #1028

Re: Forum Member's boat and daughter in trouble off of Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
Yo, cheek digger:

Its wasn't his sailing ability, nor the keel bolts. It was his choice of not checking the keel after two groundings, because he was wrapped up in fund raising or distracted by other prep. Thats the point. **** can happen to the best of the best.

True or not? You tell me.
Bring Your Own Plates

Oh no doubt there. I'm on your side. Best of the best.
*THIS ARTICLE WAS FACTUAL, AND TRUE*> Every sailor, Eric included, knows that it is their choice and responsibility when putting to Sea, to have their vessel prepared to the best of their knowledge, for it is ultimately their lives and the lives of their crew who depend upon it.

From the article link in your post>"The foil emanated a humming noise and a vibration that Mike and other crewmembers aboard Coyote could hear and feel during tests, the Coast Guard Report noted. It reported that a number of individuals looked at the keel’s foil and bulb through the Coyote’s sight glass while the vessel was underway, but “none of those persons, however, reported seeing any movement of the keel or bulb as the vessel worked in the seas.” < This is true and the concensus of all aboard was that the 'humming' was due to the length and design of the underwater appendage. The 'vibration' was thought to be caused by the 'hum' and dismissed. It was'nt as if the bulb was flopping around all wonky like for anything to have been attributed to it at the time. More from the report>"The report concluded on this point that “the effect these vibrations had on the joint securing the bulb to the foil is unknown.”< which was what the concensus of those aboard at the time (also deduced).

“At the time of the grounding,” the Coast Guard report said, “none of the parties aboard felt that it was serious enough of an incident to require that the Coyote be hauled out of the water or to have the keel inspected. The Concordia project manager, however, did feel the incident was serious enough to conduct an internal examination of the vessel. The responsibility for deciding whether or not to dry dock the Coyote after the grounding was Mike Plant’s. He did not have the vessel dry docked, nor did he have any divers examine the keel. Considering the fact that the keel was a new design, it would have been prudent to have the vessel inspected after the grounding.”

"The Coast Guard noted that “the fact that the vessel was not launched until September of 1992, due to financial delays, probably influenced Plant’s decision not to dry dock the vessel. He was on a tight schedule from the day the vessel was launched through to the day he departed New York City for France. His schedule did not allow for unanticipated delays such as hauling the vessel out of the water.”

Alas, this was a cause to a fatal effect in the end.

His family thanked me for my assistance before, during and after the voyage ended tragically. I did what I could and spent a considerable amount of personal savings in the end. I saw no merit in the original post by S' Monkey to drag a dead sailor's name through the muck in a thread that it had/has no place in. I'll defend his Honor forever....So my coming to Mike's defense S'Monkey was'nt meant to be personal with you, rather, it brought back some very painful memories for me of a great sailor, and friend, who was lost at Sea much too early in his sailing career IMO. I rarely drink, and after I replied to your initial post, I actually had to have 2. I literally sat in my room with the door closed holding my copy of the Memorial Service Card from Mike's passing, one of the very few items I have managed to save through every personal tragedy I have endured since his passing.
Old 09-04-2014, 18:28   #1029

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post

I couldn't help myself, so I did.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Old 09-04-2014, 18:33   #1030
cpa

Boat: Compass 47

Eric and family,

I am so glad you guys are back safe. Thanks for checking in with us and please let me know if there is anything you guys need help with.
Old 09-04-2014, 18:34   #1031

Boat: Tayana 55

opinions are like backsides...everyone has one...Main thing is that the crew of Rebel Heart are safe and sound. They prepared well, had a tried and true platform in the HC36 and waited for a good trade wind window. Sometimes we have to believe that things happen for reasons and the fact is that for some reason they wound up all together and safe back on land. We will never know what might have been that reason. There are 2 kinds of sailors, those who admit that they have regretted
decisions they have made and those that lie and deny it. Sail on Rebel Heart family....sail on.
Old 09-04-2014, 18:34   #1032

Boat: 45' SV

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Great idea. Its only a few days and they will drift off to the next story.

Experience has taught me that no one can battle a media perception anyway, so best to just kill them with silence.

(But then give us the juicy gossip!!!)

Mark

Words of wisdom....
Old 09-04-2014, 18:36   #1033

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
How about both?

A Dillowit Dilloway or Dilloway Dillowit.

Hmmmm.... A dilloway, dilloway a dilloway dilloway... Saying it fast almost sounds like the chorus of Kumbaya
Old 09-04-2014, 18:36   #1034

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
Great now your speculating over a past event that lead to a death.
That hole report is filled with speculation and best guess. Most of the offshore racers spend more time then they like chasing funds.
Mike was a very well rounded sailor. Knew boat systems better then most dream about. Real good guy. Let's not drag Mike into this unfortunate event. Respectfully let him have his peace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
THANK YOU FOR YOUR RESPECT OF A FELLOW SAILOR WHO LOST HIS LIFE AT SEA DUE TO MECHANICAL FAILURES. MIKE PUSHED THE ENVELOPE AND LOST.....BUT LIVED EVERY DAY THAT WAY....HE HAD MORE HEART FOR SAILING THAN MOST OF US WILL EVER FEEL IMO/E.
Old 09-04-2014, 18:38   #1035

Awesome to hear from you, glad you all are home safe Eric! Your post gives me confidence that you're taking the circus in stride... Best to Charlotte and the kiddos
Closed Thread

Tags
crew, member, Mexico, rescue, rum, mexico