Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2014, 22:16   #901
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch
Re: Forum Member's Boat and Daughter in Trouble off of Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horror Hotel View Post
You continue to try and shape this conversation. It's not yours to shape......Please don't continue trying to force your perceived best intentions on this dialog.
Duck Duck Goose...listen to yourself for heavens sake. I guess the direciton you would like this conversation and thread to go is more valid than others? "Some Pigs are more equal than others" as Orwell would say.
Old 08-04-2014, 23:02   #902

Boat: Allied Mistress Ketch 39'

Quote:
Originally Posted by satdiver View Post
Can anyone come up with a universal good social media post we could all pass around to get people NOT in our community to understand their side of things.? Trying to post a link on my accounts but I keep becoming long winded when I think. I need something in 200 words or less.

I'm trying to help them look like people non sailing people or non cruising people could relate to without being offensive to my list of people that chose and different way to raise their kids and live.
@satdiver, if you want to write something I'd be happy to try edit it for you and get it down to size. Then you can re-edit it. I would definitely use the statistical deaths from other sports found earlier in the post. Many times more people die from playing soccer than sailing, yet how many people put every child they have into competitive soccer?

The general public needs to come to terms with the fact that there are risks anytime you leave your house and sometimes even if you don't. How about the sink hole that swallowed the guys whole bedroom.

When unfortunate emergencies like this happen, it's a true test of character for loving and kind people to come together to support their fellow man and help make them whole again rather than condemn them and look for ways to tear them apart and further destroy their lives and their dreams.

Kicking someone when they're down is about as low as you can get.
Old 08-04-2014, 23:31   #903

Boat: saga kan walker 31ft
Send a message via Skype™ to sctpc

Quote:
Originally Posted by satdiver View Post
Can anyone come up with a universal good social media post we could all pass around to get people NOT in our community to understand their side of things.? Trying to post a link on my accounts but I keep becoming long winded when I think. I need something in 200 words or less.

I'm trying to help them look like people non sailing people or non cruising people could relate to without being offensive to my list of people that chose and different way to raise their kids and live.
The best explanation I have liked is from Landfall Voyages, very well writen in my book.
Rebel Heart--A Reality Check » Landfall Voyages

Old 09-04-2014, 01:08   #904

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
Great now your speculating over a past event that lead to a death.
That hole report is filled with speculation and best guess. Most of the offshore racers spend more time then they like chasing funds.
Mike was a very well rounded sailor. Knew boat systems better then most dream about. Real good guy. Let's not drag Mike into this unfortunate event. Respectfully let him have his peace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think that briefly noted subject was last mentioned about 4 pages back. Why are YOU bring it back up?
Old 09-04-2014, 01:39   #905
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

You know...
Or perhaps you dont.

I work in medicine and have to work closely with the legal side at times. What I have observed over the years, is this.

Whilst accusations abound wildly and are very damaging, the accused who say NOTHING and listen closely to all that is said, and then prepares one response with all the facts covered in a calm and straight forward manner, puts to rest ALL the speculations and false comments made.

Personal opinion and prejudice can never be overcome " a mans mind changed against his will, is a man of the same opinion still".

This is not our story, or fight. This is one familys choice of lifestyle and resultant issue that arose from an illness. Discussing anything without full knowledge of the facts is fairly pointless and conclusions made are redundant.

Right now, and really, you dont have to do anything, the only choice YOU have to make is whether or not YOU would take your baby to sea.

I dont need to know the answer. No one else does. Its your family and your choice. I will respect it.
Old 09-04-2014, 02:59   #906

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Great response from the Bumfuzzles on Eric and Charlotte's misfortune and the vitriolic responses so prevalent.

http://www.bumfuzzle.com/blog/2014/0...-of-nastiness/

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 09-04-2014, 03:02   #907
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
Great response from the Bumfuzzles on Eric and Charlotte's misfortune and the vitriolic responses so prevalent.

Bumfuzzle » A Bit of Nastiness
Old 09-04-2014, 03:05   #908
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
It's wonderful when you like to donate to this relief fund.

Others have posted this before but it seems to be ignored:
Keep your donation activities to yourself, no need to advertise what you did and no need to make use of a "morally and politically correct" opinion venting towards others that did not donate. If you think the total collected sum isn't enough, you could donate more yourself, instead of putting "moral pressure" onto others who have not deserved that treatment.

</rant>
Well said Nick.... there are a few orphans and lost souls in Tacloban that need my help just a little bit more.
Old 09-04-2014, 03:53   #909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horror Hotel View Post
Bitter much? To be fair your post chastising us about not donating was extremely lame . It is none of your business who's giving and who's not, weather giving $10 or $500, it's doesn't concern you at all.
I think it's extremely sad you and others are so reactive as to fail to recognize my initial comment neither condemned nor condoned anything, but rather was simply an observation that for all the talk there wasn't much walk.

If you think this somehow constitutes me chastising you, than I think that is something you're just going to have to learn to live with.

In fact I never said I personally donated anything. You soapbox snipers are seeing "morally and politically" opinion venting where it doesn't exist.
Old 09-04-2014, 03:59   #910
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
I think it's extremely sad you and others failed to recognize my initial comment neither condemned nor condoned anything, but rather was simply an observation that for all the talk there wasn't much walk.

If you think this somehow constitutes me chastising you, than I think that is something you're just going to have to learn to live with. In fact I never said I personally donated anything.
i doubt that you are aware,that many of RH friends have been donating direct to charlottes paypay account,thus avoiding the small commision that the fundrzer site charges.

andrea set up the fundrazer site when it became clear that the general public wanted to donate to a good cause as well.
Old 09-04-2014, 04:16   #911
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
I really doubt they'll be doing a speaking tour! Too much bad publicity. And it not like being rescued once makes you an authority on the subject. I'd rather hear from those like Lin and Larry or Beth and Evans … at least someone who's been more than 900 miles offshore, preferable someone who been all the way around.
come on now, back to the drum beating. This almost sounds like a reasonably unbiased comment. (AKA bashing)
Old 09-04-2014, 04:19   #912

Boat: Ohlson 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Please let's not get into gossip about Eric and Charlotte. Giving them space means that, too. Gossip (while perhaps *fun* for some) is nonetheless invasive.

Wishing them well,

Ann
Oh Please!

Eric and Charlotte have intentionally placed themselves squarely in the public eye and made themselves celebrities. While you (and I) may find it lacking in taste or sensitivity..celebrities don't have a right to privacy. It comes with the job.

It would only be invasive if these two hadn't already invited the world to become involved in their personal lives.

I feel their pain..but I don't feel any responsibility or obligation to donate cash or to rescue these two in any way from the consequences of their own actions.
Old 09-04-2014, 04:29   #913
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

And despite many forum members apparent voting habits, the US still has good social programs.

If they arrived back in San Diego truly in need resources would be available for them. If they needed say a deposit on an apartment I would chip in say $50. I feel no need to buy them a new yacht.
Old 09-04-2014, 04:31   #914
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
Duck Duck Goose...listen to yourself for heavens sake. I guess the direciton you would like this conversation and thread to go is more valid than others? "Some Pigs are more equal than others" as Orwell would say.

Why did you cut the meat outta my quote? I could care less what direction it goes, but Ann's constant "give them space " is ridiculous. Then the assertion that some of us are "gossiping" makes be wanna barf.

Please quote me fully, to obtain full context.
Old 09-04-2014, 04:42   #915

To satdiver and others who want to post something in support of Rebel Heart that the non sailing public might understand, I found that a picture is worth a thousand words. There is a picture on this forum showing the family on their sailboat with the caption "I support Rebel Heart".
Closed Thread

Tags
crew, member, Mexico, rescue, rum, mexico