Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2014, 15:02   #466
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch
Re: Forum Member's boat and daughter in trouble off of Mexico

I hope after people see how the news media can so easily whip people up into a frenzy based on 1/4 truths that the next time they hear something about people, politicians, etc they pause just for a moment before jumping on the band waggon. I can't help but think of all the lies and 1/2 truths told about others that WE ALL just jump on and run with becuase it fits into our mold and preconceived story line. If the media can't get a simple story like this right...imagine what they are doing in the political world where real analysis of the informaiton is needed...scarry.
Old 06-04-2014, 15:03   #467

Boat: Tanzer 26, Walk22

The story was just covered on the local Nova Scotia news. This is very sad, just goes to show that even with a very well prepared boat and crew , **** can happen.
Old 06-04-2014, 15:04   #468
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
<snip>
No one would want to take it back upwind, would they?
<snip>
Might be better to fly to the Marshall Islands and wait for 12 months!
I wondered about this as well, Mark.

I was thinking specifically about Abbey Sunderland and her RTW quest a few years ago. If memory serves, she had sailed some distance from Marina del Rey toward the equator when she had to reroute to Cabo San Lucas for electrical repairs, but had not actually crossed the equator yet.

What I don't remember is just how far she had to beat to windward to get Wild Eyes back to Cabo, but I believe it took her more than a few days to do so. That would have been in late January/early February, but beating into the prevailing northwesterlies is never a fun experience at any time.

The point, though, is that she did it. And it appears to me that from where Rebel Heart was abandoned, it's actually a better angle than sailing almost due north to get back to Cabo, as Abbey had to do.

To your last point about waiting downwind to retrieve the vessel in twelve months . . . I suspect this will be the most likely outcome. Unless she's been scuttled, as one member reported above.

TaoJones
Old 06-04-2014, 15:20   #469
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoJones View Post
I wondered about this as well, Mark.

I was thinking specifically about Abbey Sunderland and her RTW quest a few years ago. If memory serves, she had sailed some distance from Marina del Rey toward the equator when she had to reroute to Cabo San Lucas for electrical repairs, but had not actually crossed the equator yet.

What I don't remember is just how far she had to beat to windward to get Wild Eyes back to Cabo, but I believe it took her more than a few days to do so. That would have been in late January/early February, but beating into the prevailing northwesterlies is never a fun experience at any time.

The point, though, is that she did it. And it appears to me that from where Rebel Heart was abandoned, it's actually a better angle than sailing almost due north to get back to Cabo, as Abbey had to do.

To your last point about waiting downwind to retrieve the vessel in twelve months . . . I suspect this will be the most likely outcome. Unless she's been scuttled, as one member reported above.

TaoJones
i can see why some one started a thread "how many sailors are there actually on the forum,that have sailed more than 200 miles offshore"

900 miles to windward is only half an east to west medittereanean passage!
or a south to north red sea passage that has much stronger headwinds to boot

after july the winds there are predominately westerly so waiting in costa rica might be a better option than the marshall islands.

chances are if not salvaged in the very near future the boat will be stripped by longliners,taking everything including the halyards in the mast.
Old 06-04-2014, 15:21   #470

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
I hope after people see how the news media can so easily whip people up into a frenzy based on 1/4 truths that the next time they hear something about people, politicians, etc they pause just for a moment before jumping on the band waggon. I can't help but think of all the lies and 1/2 truths told about others that WE ALL just jump on and run with becuase it fits into our mold and preconceived story line. If the media can't get a simple story like this right...imagine what they are doing in the political world where real analysis of the informaiton is needed...scarry.
I've also noticed this many times before. Almost every time I happen to have had first hand experience and knowledge of something that's reported in either the local or national media, I've been amazed at how they screw it up by saying completely untrue things or by leaving out critically important information which changes any conclusions you might draw, or a combination of those two. Reporters can't be experts on everything so I can understand an honest mistake in a story, but after awhile many seem to think they are all around experts, so when in doubt, they just fill in the blanks with what they think logical or whatever suits their political persuasion or will bring them the biggest headline. It's a rare reporter who still takes pride in doing whatever research is necessary and then simply telling the story as factually and completely and simply as possible. Now it's all about getting their story to the top of the page, making themselves bigger than the story, a splashy headline, putting their own personal spin on it, or advocating for whatever side they think is more right, and they don't even seem to realize that's not really journalism at all. Large grains of salt needed no matter where we get the news!
Old 06-04-2014, 15:27   #471

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
This incident has raised in Insurance Question for me:

Assuming you have good coverage if you abandon your boat like in this situation...will the insurance Company pay out? Or will they say...hey...you chose to abaondon her?

I just read throug my policy and can't find anything about that situation.

Any thoughs or experiences?

I have no experience in this, but my thoughts are, if the Navy told him to get aboard the frigate, he didn't really choose to abandon the boat, he was forced to due to the circumstances or conditions.
Old 06-04-2014, 15:33   #472

Boat: AHD windsurfer :p

Someone mentioned above it is well provisioned, Atoll (I'm sure you already have this in mind), I'd be somewhat careful of what I ate in case the source of salmonella is onboard if the salvage plan goes ahead.
Old 06-04-2014, 15:35   #473

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
I have no experience in this, but my thoughts are, if the Navy told him to get aboard the frigate, he didn't really choose to abandon the boat, he was forced to due to the circumstances or conditions.
The Navy can not force him to abandon the boat in the open ocean. They may strongly suggest of course.
Old 06-04-2014, 15:43   #474

Boat: Gulfstar 43 ketch

I just read a news report that "the authorities" are scuttling the boat.
Old 06-04-2014, 15:51   #475

Boat: Catalina 36

I'll apologize in advance for being unkind, but I just had to share this comment from a poster on Yahoo:

Quote:
Their voyage is described in the article (and an earlier one) as around-the-world. Since they were heading for New Zealand, it is to be assumed that they weren't going via the Suez and Panama canals but around the Cape of Good Hope and Cape Horn. With an infant and a toddler!!! Incredible. These are dangerous trips in larger boats, but in a small sailboat with only two adults to man her, that seems scary. And if they ran into foul weather (likely around Cape Horn, particularly) who'd look after the children while parents are trying to keep the ship going?
Old 06-04-2014, 15:57   #476

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatInHand
I'll apologize in advance for being unkind, but I just had to share this comment from a poster on Yahoo:
Why are you reading this, and why are you bringing it here? I'm failing to see what it adds.
Old 06-04-2014, 15:59   #477

Boat: nothing

Just read the comments on Rebel Heart's blog. I don't know if there is a Satan, but if there is I'm pretty confident he invented the comment section of web pages. Wow.
Old 06-04-2014, 15:59   #478

Boat: Catalina 36

It says quite a bit about the type of person who posts negative things to this type of situation.
Old 06-04-2014, 16:12   #479

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

I'm happy to note that nearly all of the super negative comments on the blog and news sites contain poor spelling and horrible punctuation.
Old 06-04-2014, 16:15   #480

Boat: Monk 36

Horror Hotel - I can understand why you would think NPR was a war cry for the simple minded.
Closed Thread

Tags
crew, member, Mexico, rescue, rum, mexico