Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2014, 16:10   #1246

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Re: Forum Member's Boat and Daughter in Trouble off of Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
What does it matter about the boat. I would not expect a father to abandon his family in favour of a plastic boat.

Dave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Why does sending your wife to the hospital with the kid = abandonment? Do we have to do everything together these days? Jeez!
Old 11-04-2014, 16:10   #1247
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Dave, trucks don't come cheaply for boats that big, and they were somewhat fiscally limited IIRC. And so if they did get to the East coast... why is cruising in the Caribbean better suited to gaining experience than sailing in the SOC and coastal Mexico? Neither one gives you the real long passage experience, both give you lots of sea time and miles in small doses.

I've come to think that their decision to go off on a long passage with the kids was premature, but I can understand how it came to be made. I reckon that Eric may have now come to the same conclusion, and it will be very interesting to hear his thoughts when he is ready to offer them to us.

Meanwhile, I hope that they are healing.

Cheers,

Jim

Ok, thanks I didn't know their position in that regards. You and I are fully in agreement, in hindsight , it might have been better for then to gain more experience in dealing with their new family a d coping together on a small boat , doing smaller trips and local cruising. I agree with that

Dave

Old 11-04-2014, 16:15   #1248
cruiser

Forum Member's Boat and Daughter in Trouble off of Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I will say and I would hope most would agree, that overall the comments on this thread have a lot more supportive because we "knew" the people involved. Thinking about other threads kind of similar where the players weren't cf members , they got basically destroyed here.

Just saying it not defending it!

This is really the truth, there has generally been total unflinching support for RH it's mainly because he's one hell of a nice guy and likable. During the incident it was blasphemy to suggest anything that could have been different. As always with 20/20 hindsight it's possible that one or two tiny teeny little things might have changed the outcome. It makes a few of his previous post seem a tad arrogant, but he is humbled for sure. And I still have the utmost respect for him.
Old 11-04-2014, 16:24   #1249

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelfish2 View Post
Hind-sight is always wiser, but I think if I had been in Erik and Charlotte's shoes, I would have done some Caribbean cruising before heading out across the big ole Pacific. It would have been a great place to practice.

This entire incident just broke my heart and I am so sorry for Erik and his family. Hopefully, good will come from it though.
Nothing really prepares you for the Pacific. It's a big ocean with extreme moods.
We sail a boat with similar characteristics to Rebel Heart ie. full keel. heavy displacement. Sandy had less sailing experience than the RH crew but we figured the Caribbean would be a good training ground before tackling the Pacific. It helped but it probably was similar to RH sailing Mexico.

From Bermuda we dropped from 3 on board to 2 and soon worked out watches etc. After the Caribbean and Canal transit we felt ready.

Waiting for a weather window in Panama we saw numerous boats head out for Galapagos or points south and come back a few days later with all kinds of horror tales of severe conditions etc.
When we left we struggled for a week to make Galapagos, and eventually changed our route and headed south to Ecuador (thanks Atoll).

Like many members here we had some dream runs, but we got hammered too. Ripped sails, deck fittings torn out, whisker pole became a boomerang, auto pilot failed(major nightmare) etc.

I can't imagine trying to cope with small children too. I know many have done it and hats off to them all. They have my deepest respect.

Knowing Eric's approach to sailing from his posts here I'm sure they would have made it but for the baby's illness. But they would have been having a rough time of it.

MarkJ's hammock idea was something we were talking about a couple of days ago. In PNG the women carry their babies in a 'billim'. Basically a hammock with the ends tied together. The baby hangs behind them with the knot sitting on top of the mother's head. When they get home the billim gets hung on a hook in the shade below the house. Works perfectly and would be ideal in a boat.

Vic

PS. kids raised on boats are the best behaved, mature, responsible, happiest kids by far.

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
Old 11-04-2014, 16:38   #1250
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualVagabond View Post

Vic

PS. kids raised on boats are the best behaved, mature, responsible, happiest kids by far.

Undoubtably, whether kids should be " best behaved", mature and responsible is another thing entirely. Primarily they should be kids not small adults. They'll have enough of maturity etc later on to last a lifetime

Dave

Old 11-04-2014, 16:53   #1251

Boat: Last:Newport 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
My understanding is the child was fine at time of rescue..?
Yes, in the video posted earlier, one of the rescuers more or less confirmed this, saying the baby was just "a little sick when we arrived," and another rescuer quickly chimed in adding "but she could have become a lot more sick in a couple more days." In other words the baby was dehydrated and very quickly stabilized with an IV. Frankly, based on their posts and Charlotte's cryptic final message, I think the whole family just wanted very badly to get off the damn boat, offshore sailing with a baby and 3 year-old having proved to be a little more challenging than expected. Can't blame 'em, clearly they had no idea what they were getting into.
Old 11-04-2014, 17:03   #1252

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

Quote:
Undoubtably, whether kids should be " best behaved", mature and responsible is another thing entirely. Primarily they should be kids not small adults. They'll have enough of maturity etc later on to last a lifetime

Dave

Dave,
Let me qualify that a little. Mature for their age, not boring little adults. From our observations they are still typical kids, playful, mischievous etc, but with respect for adults and themselves, confidence etc. Maybe it's to do with families that are close.
They generally learn to make friends quickly and easily too.

Of course their skills in other areas suffer. Most wouldn't do too well with Grand Theft Auto or shooting up the entire neighborhood in a bloody massacre.

I'm sure there are great kids on land too, mine for example .

It's just an observation to those who are critical of families choosing to take their kids cruising.

Vic

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
Old 11-04-2014, 17:04   #1253

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
A truck covers a lot of distance easily IMHO , and it's clear from the blogs, that certainly Charlotte was unprepared. But I agree this isn't the thread for this

Dave

Sure...you agree but take the opportunity to wiggle your finger in their wound. I know these people, you don't. Often times when people write on their personal blogs, they come from a place of humility. Try it some time.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 11-04-2014, 17:14   #1254
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Weber View Post
Yes, in the video posted earlier, one of the rescuers more or less confirmed this, saying the baby was just "a little sick when we arrived," and another rescuer quickly chimed in adding "but she could have become a lot more sick in a couple more days." In other words the baby was dehydrated and very quickly stabilized with an IV. Frankly, based on their posts and Charlotte's cryptic final message, I think the whole family just wanted very badly to get off the damn boat, offshore sailing with a baby and 3 year-old having proved to be a little more challenging than expected. Can't blame 'em, clearly they had no idea what they were getting into.
supposition on your part,please don't put words in eric or charlottes mouth.
Old 11-04-2014, 17:16   #1255

Boat: ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualVagabond View Post
MarkJ's hammock idea was something we were talking about a couple of days ago. In PNG the women carry their babies in a 'billim'. Basically a hammock with the ends tied together. The baby hangs behind them with the knot sitting on top of the mother's head. When they get home the billim gets hung on a hook in the shade below the house. Works perfectly and would be ideal in a boat.
just in case i'm not the only person that had no clue about what a 'billim' is...

Old 11-04-2014, 17:20   #1256

I missed the whole event and discussion. I am pleased that the sick child received the necessary medical attention and that the US government was able to come to their rescue.

Not knowing the condition of the boat, the amount of fuel and stores it's hard to second guess the captain. On the face it seems that Charlotte and the children could have left with the rescue people and Eric could have... if the boat was seaworthy sailed it back to Mexico or wherever. Single handing is not easy, but many have done it and I think for Eric the issue was watch keeping. You just can't get much sleep single handing on passage. Been there done that.

I don't see anything wrong with young children being aboard. I've met several which were born aboard and lived (at the time) their entire lives on a sailboat. Children are adaptable.. maybe not everyone. But I assume these parents considered this before they took off. Again you can't second guess without all the facts.

I don't know a thing about him paying for the rescue but I find that stupid. Eric seemed to be a prudent sailor and had seemed to have prepared for the passage. Unfortunately stuff happened and he felt that he need to rescue to save his daughter's life. He did the right thing of course.

This is not the best outcome... but it is not the worst. Everyone survived... the rescue was first class... They lost their boat and that IS a risk we take. It is very generous of people to send them donations.

We'll get Eric and Charlotte's account when they are ready. I expect them to be very forthcoming with all the details because it will be lessons for all sailors venturing offshore and especially with young children.

Eric did the right thing.
Old 11-04-2014, 17:22   #1257
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Sure...you agree but take the opportunity to wiggle your finger in their wound. I know these people, you don't. Often times when people write on their personal blogs, they come from a place of humility. Try it some time.

You mistake my comments. I am not wriggling my finger in their wound. I'm sure they are doing that more then anyone here will ever do.

I merely take what she wrote at face value. In that regard she as clearly unprepared for what she experienced. That's not a bad thing either. Just the position she found herself in. In that regard, they were " unprepared " because being prepared is not about how many cans of spam you have onboard.

I have merely commented on that aspect based on her own writings. The idle speculation others engaged in regards hot water, diapers etc are just that.

I think eric and his wife made a very good decision to activate a rescue. They made a good decision to abandon the boat. I commend the rescue service.

I question the wisdom of that particular voyage in those particular circumstances. That's all. BUT I fully respect their right to make there own minds up and act on those decisions, I'm not in their head, mine is merely my view.

Dave

Old 11-04-2014, 17:22   #1258

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 473

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
if the vitriol that permeates the media should find it's way onto this thread.
I'm afraid it already has. Trust your gut. It's usually right. The last thing I would do as a new member would be to strike at a long time member in my first post.
Hope I'm wrong but red flags everywhere.
Old 11-04-2014, 17:29   #1259
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
And so if they did get to the East coast... why is cruising in the Caribbean better suited to gaining experience than sailing in the SOC and coastal Mexico? Neither one gives you the real long passage experience, both give you lots of sea time and miles in small doses.

Cheers,

Jim
Or could have done longer sails down to Panama (country) and then turned right to Galapagos, 1,000 nms, and then Marquesas.
Lots of variables.

My first passage with Nicolle was 1000 nms St Martin to Panama and not island hopping for that reason.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 11-04-2014, 17:37   #1260

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 473

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Weber View Post
Yep......I'm convinced.......troll.
Closed Thread

Tags
crew, member, Mexico, rescue, rum, mexico