Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2014, 23:59   #1066
cruiser

Re: Forum Member's Boat and Daughter in Trouble off of Mexico

I have no view on this either way.

But what I do have a view on is whether people have a right to criticise Rebel Heart or not.
Seems like the Rebel Heart guy had no problem having a right go at the guy that started, in my opinion, a genuine thread:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ty-121069.html

Good for the goose good for the gander and all that.

I wish him and his family well in their recovery.
Old 10-04-2014, 00:08   #1067

Boat: Skookum 53'

It is about the timing, not the content.
Old 10-04-2014, 01:00   #1068

Boat: Moody 425

Welcome back Rebel Heart!!!!!

It's all been said, but add in more best wishes here from our family to yours.
Old 10-04-2014, 02:26   #1069

Guess I'll be nicer.. Sorry MOD and thanks LBW!

So I got a delete probably b/c I'm a little ticked on the hypocracy here with some of you..

Agree or disagree doesn't matter. But it's silly for me to think taking that young of a child out like that was a good idea. Kid can't talk, walk, help, etc. and the main thing is the kid can't tell you what's wrong (were it hurts, i'm not feeling well.....) So they were getting ready and got pregnant and the challenge never changed although I think I read he single handled it to mexico? Like I said before the younger kid won't remember crap from this trip.. Should have waited...

“… when we departed on this journey more than a year ago, we were then and remain today confident that we prepared as well as any sailing crew would.”

See this statement right there more than a year ago we departed so I'd imagine when the really started there was 1 kid....

Riding out gales (2 of them) when she was 3 months old... Who brags about that suff? An ego maniac? Even Kaufmans brother James saw this coming with 2 small children.. according to LA times, but what does his brother know? Some CF'rs personally knew him and that makes it ok

But here is where it gets good.. many instances of people "noobs" taking the sailboat out or buying one with no experience and they get the CF lashings.. Now this guy totally prepared (yeah right) lasted a few days. And now his boat is in davy jones? But all prepared to give him money to let him make some more bad decisions... If he needs money after this then he really wasn't prepared in the first place. And public assistance... Jeez....

Whole situation stinks like a certain political party that nobody is required to take care of things themselves.

But you all will give the flyin hawaiian crap, the noob who landed on the beach, even the ones that borrow dads sailboat and put it on the rocks. But the guy who "preps and fails" gets the cash and prizes.. Nice "some" CF'rs. But keep posting your hearts away on FB to put some positive spin on such a negative...

And I am in no way saying children have no business on a world tour, heck it'd be gread but a 1 year old.. Come on, I mean come on! But I'll get crap for this post b/c I'm not on the side of carelessness.

And for some of you to say public school is more dangerous than this. Again CF reality check please! But hey they are blown away by the doantions..... Write some blogs, write a book, have some problems, ehhh what the heck.

I still liked the post that got deleted better!

But as always I'm glad all are safe, family and rescue folks!
Old 10-04-2014, 02:44   #1070
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastinated View Post
Guess I'll be nicer.. Sorry MOD and thanks LBW!

So I got a delete probably b/c I'm a little ticked on the hypocracy here with some of you..

Agree or disagree doesn't matter. But it's silly for me to think taking that young of a child out like that was a good idea. Kid can't talk, walk, help, etc. and the main thing is the kid can't tell you what's wrong (were it hurts, i'm not feeling well.....) So they were getting ready and got pregnant and the challenge never changed although I think I read he single handled it to mexico? Like I said before the younger kid won't remember crap from this trip.. Should have waited...

“… when we departed on this journey more than a year ago, we were then and remain today confident that we prepared as well as any sailing crew would.”

See this statement right there more than a year ago we departed so I'd imagine when the really started there was 1 kid....

Riding out gales (2 of them) when she was 3 months old... Who brags about that suff? An ego maniac? Even Kaufmans brother James saw this coming with 2 small children.. according to LA times, but what does his brother know? Some CF'rs personally knew him and that makes it ok

But here is where it gets good.. many instances of people "noobs" taking the sailboat out or buying one with no experience and they get the CF lashings.. Now this guy totally prepared (yeah right) lasted a few days. And now his boat is in davy jones? But all prepared to give him money to let him make some more bad decisions... If he needs money after this then he really wasn't prepared in the first place. And public assistance... Jeez....

Whole situation stinks like a certain political party that nobody is required to take care of things themselves.

But you all will give the flyin hawaiian crap, the noob who landed on the beach, even the ones that borrow dads sailboat and put it on the rocks. But the guy who "preps and fails" gets the cash and prizes.. Nice "some" CF'rs. But keep posting your hearts away on FB to put some positive spin on such a negative...

And I am in no way saying children have no business on a world tour, heck it'd be gread but a 1 year old.. Come on, I mean come on! But I'll get crap for this post b/c I'm not on the side of carelessness.

And for some of you to say public school is more dangerous than this. Again CF reality check please! But hey they are blown away by the doantions..... Write some blogs, write a book, have some problems, ehhh what the heck.

I still liked the post that got deleted better!

But as always I'm glad all are safe, family and rescue folks!
Please do me a favour. And yes Im serious.

Will you re write this post and list EXACTLY what your issues are.
WITHOUT EMOTION or going off subject.
I would like to respond to your factual statements and rationale rather than your feelings.
Old 10-04-2014, 02:46   #1071
CHM

Boat: Beneteau Moorings 432

Mr. Fascinated: I do not personally know the Kaufman family, but they have been through a hell of a time over the last several days and the human thing to do is be compassionate and supportive. I am sure there will be a lengthy "debriefing" of sorts over the next several weeks/months - mostly by Eric Kaufman, himself second guessing and reviewing every decision along the way. We often hear about folks who go missing and are never found or do not survive, so I am thrilled there is a happy ending here. I am sure we will get the details from his perspective at some point, but that really doesn't matter since there is no mandate for him to even share that information. For most of us, this story hits home because it could happen to any of us. The loss of a boat is one thing, but the potential loss of life is very frightening. Whether or not people choose to support the family financially is a personal decision. The fact that there is so much support on this forum suggests that Eric is a well thought of guy and has nothing to do with his sailing experience or ability. Good for him and his family.
Old 10-04-2014, 02:47   #1072

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

^^^^

Good one Weavis.

Ann
Old 10-04-2014, 03:02   #1073

Boat: saga kan walker 31ft
Send a message via Skype™ to sctpc

Id just like to know how the Kaufmans are to blame for Lyra getting sick should we lock them up within 200m for a hospital. Grow Up people should not have to ask you to live there life.

Old 10-04-2014, 03:02   #1074

Boat: Moody 425

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Please do me a favour. And yes Im serious.

Will you re write this post and list EXACTLY what your issues are.
WITHOUT EMOTION or going off subject.
I would like to respond to your factual statements and rationale rather than your feelings.
What he said.

Because while I also don't particularly like the tone of your post, in terms of your point(s) you've lost me entirely.

You start by stating that the problem with young kids is that they don't talk.

How does being or not being on a sailboat change that??
Old 10-04-2014, 03:17   #1075

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clamdigger View Post
Alas, when I singlehanded my own sailboat from New England through the Panama Canal and lost the boat in the Torres Straits no one offered to 'fund me another boat', oh yeah, COMPUTERS WERE 'NT EVEN INVENTED BACK THEN! LOL!

When I lost my (uninsured) liveaboard in Hurricane Sandy, I never mentioned it on CF. No 'boat fund' for me, LOL! I pulled up my pants (hence the clamdigger moniker) and found a room(notice I did not say house or even an apartment!) to rent, another job, and started toughing out Life from scratch all over again without asking taxpayers for a dime. I was raised working on a dairy farm where you were judged by your work not *financial worth*. It's probably what I enjoyed most about living and sailing my former boats, I was one of the *regular cruising crowd* not the *Goldplater crowd*. Today my Boss is my best friend because he grew up actually working for a living, and understands my mindset, when he gives me a task he knows it'll be done. I may always be just a *lurker* on CF, but I do harbor a *dream* of having another sailboat, abliet, even if it's *just* a 20 something footer to sail and live on into old age.

The reason my post count is so low is that I rarely have more than an hour a day to work/read online, sometimes I go a week without even getting on a computer to check my email! I'm exisiting right now not living. Boy would it be nice to have a place to call *home* again. But I'll never be able to spend hours online posting about my sailing prowness so I guess I'll have to just buy myself another boat through hardwork.

Glad the whole family has made it ashore together. I wish them strength in their coming days to find their quiet corner of this Planet to mend their family.
I guess you haven't been paying any attention so allow me to point out that there other heartless people here, besides Eric, that don't give a rat's ass about the fact that you lost your home or under what circumstances.

The fact that you even bring it up will likely be construed as a somehow disingenuous effort at applying "moral pressure" to influence them in some way. These people may well advise you to mind your own business.

However, not all are this way. Some still have a heart. I am very sorry you lost your boat twice. If you were a more social creature and had we known about it, then perhaps we could have helped at the point when it would have mattered the most to you.

I am sure you are a good worker but in my experience as a manager I have found that an employee who can't or won't ask for help when they need it is a problem employee. Best of luck!

PS. Welcome back Rebel Heart. I am heartbroken about the loss of your home but glad you are all safe!
Old 10-04-2014, 04:40   #1076

Boat: ?

they are professional bloggers. their entire life is already right there in the public eye.
they only thing different here is that the publicity and potential audience is a grander scale.

the family should strongly debate the merits of keeping low vs actually taking advantage of the one moment where this public style of living would benefit them financially.
they will tell their story on their blogs regardless. why not add zeros to the cruising kitty in the process?

my humble opinion about this 15 mins of fame thing: just milk it, baby!

hire the profession to guide you and let them do what they do

there is everything to gain and practically nothing to lose in this situation.
Old 10-04-2014, 04:42   #1077

Boat: 07 Leopard 40 / 93 Hunter 30T

Welcome back Rebel Heart, You must be exhausted from the ordeal. Get some rest, regroup. I cant wait for your factual take on the adventure, no hurry tho take your time. Think you can have it ready say by lunch?

Lol seriously we are relieved you are all safe
Old 10-04-2014, 05:54   #1078

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

From the rescuers point of view:

"The parents of one-year-old Lyra Kaufman did everything right once they realized the seriousness of the situation, the official said"

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/loca...254533651.html

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 10-04-2014, 05:57   #1079

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormorant View Post
Ah, jeez, don't be such a DILLOWAY!
I like it!
Old 10-04-2014, 06:12   #1080

Boat: ?

fwiw, this story was on the front page of the NY times.

Quote:
A version of this article appears in print on April 8, 2014, on page A1 of the New York edition with the headline: 2 Tots, a Sailboat and a Storm Over Parenting.
Closed Thread

Tags
crew, member, Mexico, rescue, rum, mexico