Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2014, 12:35   #91

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1
Re: Forum Member's boat and daughter in trouble off of Mexico

They said somewhere that it's been cloudy and they don't have much electricity. They're probably saving to to talk to rescue people and run bilge pumps rather than trying to ease our minds.
Old 04-04-2014, 12:40   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Indeed.

To put it in economic terms: having rescue services capable of making rescues of that type (even if just for military purposes) demands a certain fixed cost. There aren't really any variable costs, since the system won't work without regular training. So if no one needed to be rescued, the fuel and time would be burned up all the same. Therefore, it really didn't actually cost anyone anything to rescue Eric and his family.
I disagree. Rescue missions DO cost something. This takes rescue and medical personnel out of whatever other else they were doing. It's easy to think the military is just sitting on their thumbs. That's not the case.

Is the rescue worth it? Yes. Good use of resources to save people who are in harm's way? Yes. Good, real-world (and feel-good) training? Yes. Do we have the capacity? Sure.

Free to medically rescue an infant 900 miles off the coast of Mexico? No. People will be working lots of hours to pull this off.

I don't think anyone here questions whether this rescue is a worthy endeavor, or whether it's worth the fuel. Eric took a calculated risk, and for whatever reason, it went bad. Some people are working pretty hard to help clean that up.

We have a community here, and we don't care about the cost. But let's not say that there isn't one.
Old 04-04-2014, 12:40   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I can tell you as a retired military person, that this is what they train for, it's in a way excellent training as it's a real live situation and not just an exercise. So if your going to burn the aircraft time and fuel anyway, why not do it in a manner the benefits the public?
Used to be all over the country US Army Medivac aircraft were used in what was called the MAST program, similar situation, you had the military aircraft and personnel whose job was to treat and transport wounded soldiers, why not use them for automobile accidents etc? What killed that program was the Hospitals own Life flight helicopter simply couldn't compete with the military Medivac aircraft and couldn't make money when the Military was around doing it for free.
Yeah, I love it when the TV News states :the estimated cost of the rescue was $150k, blah, blah, blah..." Really? If you've ever lived near a military installation they are "rehearsing" constantly, burning fuel and hours. They guys I knew were always volunteering or trying to come up with a plan to take a C130 to Bumphukegypt to add hours to their resume. In the case of a rescue, we get something for our tax dollars... and it's real world training.

Old 04-04-2014, 12:42   #94
Pusher of String

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Trisbal 42, Aluminum Cutter Rigged Sloop

FYI...latest update from Facebook.

Looks like they "got the boat running" and are heading to Cabo with all onboard.

"UPDATE! I just got off the phone with the Lt. Col in charge of this mission. Lyra is stable. They have go the boat running! They have have turned around and are heading to Cabo. There is a Navy ship heading to meet them. If anything changes with Lyra they will med vac her out. As of right now she is still on the boat. They should meet up with the Navy ship tomorrow night. Once they meet up they will transfer the family to the ship and sail them to Sad Diego. As I hear more I will keep you up to date"

"You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm."
Sidonie Gabrielle Colette
Old 04-04-2014, 12:45   #95

I was listening to the Baja net this morning, he didn't come up on that net, nor did I hear any mention of it by anyone on the net.
Old 04-04-2014, 12:49   #96
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Great news they are underway!

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 04-04-2014, 12:49   #97

Boat: Cape Dory 33

Yes, that Facebook update was from Charlotte's sister, and is wonderful news.

Now just praying that it all works out and they get the Rebel Heart safely back to port so they can take care of whatever repairs need to be made, wait for Lyra to recover, and hopefully continue their adventure.

And God bless the U.S. Navy!!
Old 04-04-2014, 12:52   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Yeah, I love it when the TV News states :the estimated cost of the rescue was $150k, blah, blah, blah..." Really? If you've ever lived near a military installation they are "rehearsing" constantly
Yea, I think the news exaggerates, but missions (and these rescues) do have a cost.

I wonder what it cost to get Bin Laden?

A lot, but it was worth it.
Old 04-04-2014, 12:52   #99

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by foolishsailor View Post

Looks like they "got the boat running" and are heading to Cabo with all onboard.

"UPDATE! I just got off the phone with the Lt. Col in charge of this mission. Lyra is stable. They have go the boat running! They have have turned around and are heading to Cabo. There is a Navy ship heading to meet them. If anything changes with Lyra they will med vac her out. As of right now she is still on the boat. They should meet up with the Navy ship tomorrow night. Once they meet up they will transfer the family to the ship and sail them to Sad Diego. As I hear more I will keep you up to date"
That is fantastic news!!!! Thank you very much for the update!
Old 04-04-2014, 12:55   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
I disagree. Rescue missions DO cost something. This takes rescue and medical personnel out of whatever other else they were doing. It's easy to think the military is just sitting on their thumbs. That's not the case.

Is the rescue worth it? Yes. Good use of resources to save people who are in harm's way? Yes. Good, real-world (and feel-good) training? Yes. Do we have the capacity? Sure.

Free to medically rescue an infant 900 miles off the coast of Mexico? No. People will be working lots of hours to pull this off.

I don't think anyone here questions whether this rescue is a worthy endeavor, or whether it's worth the fuel. Eric took a calculated risk, and for whatever reason, it went bad. Some people are working pretty hard to help clean that up.

We have a community here, and we don't care about the cost. But let's not say that there isn't one.

Everyone in the military is paid a monthly salary, the money is budgeted and spent the same whether they're jumping out of an airplane, sleeping, training or playing video games. The only other possible added expense might be fuel, but they have to fly "X" amount of training hours per month anyways, so all they have to do is mark this off as training and the net result is the quarterly OPTAR budget is virtually unchanged.

Let's not worry about expense in this case. If money becomes an issue, we can always cancel a few golf trips or family vacations by the guy using Air Force One.
Old 04-04-2014, 12:56   #101

Quote:

That's great news!
Old 04-04-2014, 12:57   #102

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

These are members of our CF sailing family. Their boat was prepared, they were prepared and they are wonderful people. They deserve our best thoughts, wishes and prayers.

Throughout all our CF threads we've heard "go as early as you can." That's what they are doing. I met them briefly in La Paz and my hats off to their effort and best wishes in taking care of this bump in the road. Best wishes for their daughters recovery.

As I read the posts here I noticed that the term was that there was "no self-steering" not that the rudder was gone or the tiller was gone or nothing worked. Didn't anyone else pick up on that?
Old 04-04-2014, 12:58   #103

Quote:

Excellent news!
Old 04-04-2014, 12:59   #104
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post

Let's not worry about expense in this case.
And lets stop posting about it! and stay on the important for a change
Old 04-04-2014, 13:00   #105

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

That's great news!

Tags
crew, member, Mexico, rescue, rum, mexico