Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2014, 05:43   #331

Boat: Nimble Artic 26
Re: Forum Member's boat and daughter in trouble off of Mexico

Rebel Heart's plight was mentioned on NPR. Very short sentence.
Old 06-04-2014, 06:05   #332

Boat: Catalina 36

NPR is a much better source if you're looking for actual news. It was also on the local Seattle news and they did a reasonable job as well.
Old 06-04-2014, 06:09   #333

I was amazed when I saw it on Fox this morning. I couldn't believe it. Discussed the cost--are you kidding me?!? Please, I'd much rather tax $$ go to work for something like this than another golfing outing for man living in the White House or another trip for his wife.

The story has just gotten so big, I feel so sorry for them when they get back. Definitely send some $$ to help out, always amazed at how awesome the support is on this forum. You guys are great!

Monica
Old 06-04-2014, 06:10   #334

Boat: 1972 Aquarius 23'

The news and how it is reported just sickens me. All I know from the stories is something happened. That it is. The details in the lines are just a fiction story for me.

Just to toss In with the reporting being inaccurate.. I myself first hand have been so to speak a victim of false and inaccurate reporting in the news media. It disgust me when I was reading reports of a house fire we had. Some of the article is wrong and its all over the web and even how it was printed in the paper. Very minor information that is false but if they did reach out or even did some : gasp : real reporting and foot work they would of gotten all of the correct information. I only had the strength to ring one reported and chew his ass off on the phone being still upset that I almost lost me pops. He did modify his news article on the web but all the other places still have it false. The little slimy crud even but a quote of me in the article I was not to happy about as I was chewing him out in anger. Mainly disgusted about the inaccuracy and his lack of pursuing the correct information. I almost want to call him now a month later about putting that quote in there. He never went to me I had to blahh well you get it...

How can they just assume what is right and what is wrong? Is there something about deformation of character or along those lines?

I always thought the reporters were there to report the written history so it is there for accurate recollection of a even of the past.

As with the vessel I would not know what to think. If there is a way to bring it on home and if I had a wife Id trust her to be strong and take care of the lil one as Id bring the home home. Not just abandon it or seek someone to salvage it.

Now why would it take on water every time the motor is fired up? Is there something broking in the cooling system?

All I hope is the best for everyone involved.
Old 06-04-2014, 06:23   #335

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Finally, many who are critical of young people cruising long range are jealous. They are stuck with their nose to the grindstone and fail to see how and why others cut the strings.
Ahhh so that explains your view on Dekker & Watson

(joking... I know that this is different)
Old 06-04-2014, 06:24   #336

Boat: Tayana 47

I've purposely minimized my exposure to news about this to what's been posted on this site because after clicking on one of the links to a supposed news story and reading a few of the comments I was so furious by the avalanche of nastiness. So much hate and so little understanding of how this situation came about. I suspect that at the root of much of it is the Kaufmanns were pursuing their dream and there's a whole lot of people out there who were very envious and disappointed in themselves for not pursuing their own dreams, so viciously attacked instead of attempting to understand. At least on this site, the vast majority of people seem to sympathize and understand that you can't predict when someone will get sick and put the welfare of the family above any possible mean spirited agendas of your own. So, I hope that those of you who are monitoring other sources of information keep on posting until the Kauffmans and Rebel Heart are safe.
Old 06-04-2014, 06:25   #337

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatInHand View Post
NPR is a much better source if you're looking for actual news. It was also on the local Seattle news and they did a reasonable job as well.
NPR News is pretty good, but their interviews/opinion bits have a most definite liberal slant. At least they seem to try a it, though.
Old 06-04-2014, 06:28   #338

From USA TODAY

Navy ship reaches ill toddler on sailboat

SAN DIEGO (AP) — A U.S. Navy warship reached a crippled sailboat hundreds of miles off the Mexican coast and was preparing Sunday to complete the rescue of a sick 1-year-old girl. The transfer of the child from the 36-foot boat to the ship was expected to start around dawn, Coast Guard Petty Officer 2nd Class Barry Bena said Sunday. "Sometime this morning as soon as they get some light they are going to take the child off the boat and bring her aboard the naval vessel," Bena told The Associated Press. A small boat will be used to carry out the operation and it will be safer during daylight, especially since the child's condition has stabilized, the spokesman said.

http://usat.ly/1gz7miH

Get USA TODAY on your mobile device:
http://www.usatoday.com/mobile-apps

Sent from my LG-E980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 06-04-2014, 06:34   #339
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Fox News just had a sorry sounding story about this rescue . And they complained about the cost, this after covering all the efforts to find that plane black box

People have their priorities all wrong
No kidding Sailorboy. That stupid black box will be a billion dollars strewn across the ocean and may not be found.
Old 06-04-2014, 06:38   #340

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

Just a couple of other extraordinary rescues I read about recently, and no one pitched hissy fits about these. Go figure. . . .

CAPE HATTERAS, N.C.: Coast Guard moves ailing man from tanker off NC | Local/State | NewsObserver.com

Coast Guard rescues injured diverTarpon Springs Beacon - Tampa Bay Newspapers
Old 06-04-2014, 06:49   #341
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
NPR News is pretty good, but their interviews/opinion bits have a most definite liberal slant. At least they seem to try a it, though.

You say that like a liberal slant is bad. I listen to NPR, but give Rush a chance once a month or so. The difference is staggering. One is slanted but accurate, the other is a war cry for the simple minded.
Old 06-04-2014, 06:49   #342

In the words of internet superstars everywhere "haters gonna hate"

Thank the lucky stars that their daughter is on the mend and besides the struggle everything will be ok. Our culture is indeed suffering a malaise, however 2 hard weeks on a voyage is still a better experience than 10 soft years on the couch complaining about everyone around you going out and going for it.
Old 06-04-2014, 06:52   #343

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

I'm really not surprised at the public reaction considering how polarized the world is today. Anything that costs government/taxpayer dollars, be in a sailboat rescue, missing airplane search or the latest trip by the President, seems to elicit a strong response from one side or the other.

I still say all the hoopla will blow over in a week and there will be another outrage at center stage. Probably involving a movie star or famous athlete.

Hey, what's Putin doing anyway?
Old 06-04-2014, 06:55   #344
Neo

Boat: Pearson 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
99% of the masses won't remember or care in a week.
So true.

Also:

Who on earth could get upset over the comments section of the Daily Mail, or be bothered by what some soulless television program reports, or worry about what's being whispered at the local coffee shop for that matter.

We all care about what others think, that is what makes us human. The trick is deciding what principles are important and who's opinions matter. I've read enough of Rebel's posts to know that he has both those categories pretty well covered. If he decides he needs feedback or advice, I am guessing he'll know where to get it.

The mistake many make is to indiscriminately care about what everyone thinks.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:01   #345
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
Ahhh so that explains your view on Dekker & Watson

(joking... I know that this is different)
Au contrair my friend. I was doing mine as they were doing theirs. I met Dekker when she arrived in St Martin a month after I had finished my circumnavigation. So my horrors at sexualised children sailing solo for the media was for completely other reasons.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Closed Thread

Tags
crew, member, Mexico, rescue, rum, mexico