Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2017, 09:11   #1

Boat: Passport 40
Fort Pierce - IRMA

I have my boat in Harbortown, Ft Pierce FL. That's pretty unprotected (only a portion of land from the ocean). Now, as usual one never knows, but it appears IRMA might hug a bit more of the FL west coast or dead center than the east coast (again, it all depends on the other fronts).

I live far away from my boat and Im going to hop on a plane tomorrow to go prep Thursday and Friday. Im really unsure on what the best thing to do would be.

The docks are fixed where Im at. I don't know the area to be able to really be efficient in moving my boat. I don't even know where to get old tires from in Ft Pierce.

I do know about all the videos about how to prep your boat, my question is more on a local scale; where to get old tires, what could be an alternate hurricane hole, is Harbortown a good choice or should I just leave that marina and take my chances on the ICW anchored or in-river (which river?)

Any help and pointers on how to best spend my following days would be greatly appreciated.
gaucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 09:52   #2

Re: Fort Pierce - IRMA

There are plenty of threads running on what to do. With respect to old tires, suggest you call the dump and ask if they've got any. Number is at the link.

Garbage & Recycling Rates | Fort Pierce, FL - Official Website
Drew13440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 09:55   #3

Boat: Prout 34

As always it depends on if the storm is E or W and N or S of Ft P. Having seen what happens at fixed docks during hurricanes I would move my boat if predicted storm track was bad.
The ICW could close bridges at some point in time. Good luck. My boat is at Indiantown in long term storage for the h season so not very worried.
hurricanehole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 09:57   #4

Boat: temporarily boatless...

Regarding spare tires, any service station or tire retailer will be happy to sell you some spare tires for a few bucks, it means they don't have to pay to dispose of them.

Regarding the remainder of your post, you have very few options in that area. If you can find a good area of holding in the ICW you might be OK, but I'm not sure you'll be that much better off. Have you talked to your dockmaster about the options?

Well, best of luck to you, and to all of us in the path. Pete
pete33458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 10:03   #5

As I remember Harbortown is pretty protected from water surge...? However, rather than go thru all that, how about just having them haul it out.? Fixed docks seem iffy anyway. IF there is a surge, even if it's benign change in water height, it seems to me that's an issue... you cant leave long dock lines and you cant tie it too short...? Tire will protect but also make a black mess too.

Harbortown is pretty close to the sea entrance, the entrance to the marina is shallow there though ( I ran aground there twice!) Hard to say about surge I guess. Riverside marina just north of the causeway let's you do your own work , maybe you could haul there and do some work when ever you return..? Harbortown doesnt let you work on your boat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Harbortown Marina-Fort Pierce - Google Maps-1.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	271.6 KB
ID:	155424  

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 08:41   #6

Boat: Brewer 44' Steel

Best hurricane hole anywhere is Telemar Bay Marina Indian Harbour Beach about 50 mi north of you off ICW
I have my boat there and have hauled out yearly across the way at Cracker Boy Boat Works. They will haul , block , strap down if you like
Last big one wiped out the city marina downtown. Just rebuilt and has man made barrier islands that protect it but not you. Glad to chat off line. I also have a guy who does stuff for me in Ft P. <svascension@yahoo.com>
Old 06-09-2017, 09:18   #7

Boat: Brewer 44' Steel

PS. Cracker Boy is across from you at Harbor Town. in Ft P. Right across Taylor Creek. I wasn't clear. Russ
Old 06-09-2017, 09:30   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
PS. Cracker Boy is across from you at Harbor Town. in Ft P. Right across Taylor Creek. I wasn't clear. Russ
I didnt know that. Isnt there a Crackerboy in West Palm also?

Old 06-09-2017, 09:39   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Your prep timeframe is way late. Doubt you'll be flying into S Florida on Friday.
Old 06-09-2017, 09:58   #10

Boat: Catalac 12m

There's a Cracker Boy Boat Works in Riviera Beach - just to the North of the FP&L at the N end of WPB. I think it's the same people as CB in Ft.P. You can haul out & work in their yard (but probably not now...) Good luck!
LLGJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 10:15   #11

Good afternoon. We have a sailboat at "H" dock at Harbortown. We just came from stowing the dinghy, sails, etc. I'll be back out there on Friday.
I know where you can get numerous tires for free from my neighbor west of town. When you get here, call me. I'll meet you there.
conchaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 08:12   #12

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38

Head to Indiantown if they still have room.

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 10:00   #13

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaucho View Post
I have my boat in Harbortown, Ft Pierce FL. That's pretty unprotected (only a portion of land from the ocean). Now, as usual one never knows, but it appears IRMA might hug a bit more of the FL west coast or dead center than the east coast (again, it all depends on the other fronts).

I live far away from my boat and Im going to hop on a plane tomorrow to go prep Thursday and Friday. Im really unsure on what the best thing to do would be.

The docks are fixed where Im at. I don't know the area to be able to really be efficient in moving my boat. I don't even know where to get old tires from in Ft Pierce.

I do know about all the videos about how to prep your boat, my question is more on a local scale; where to get old tires, what could be an alternate hurricane hole, is Harbortown a good choice or should I just leave that marina and take my chances on the ICW anchored or in-river (which river?)

Any help and pointers on how to best spend my following days would be greatly appreciated.
I hope you thought twice and stayed home. Wednesday no seat available on MIA shuttle. Thursday got to MIA, 90 minute line to pick up rental, horrible jam on Interstate 95 which was reported better than the Fl Tpke (130 mi in 5 ). Getting out as the storm closes in a mess and getting worse.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 13:19   #14

Boat: Passport 40
Fort Pierce - IRMA

I'm happy to report my boat suffered absolutely no damage. Proper line tension n and proper protection helped a lot. Of course we were also VERY LUCKY on the path Irma took in the end. First the hit on Cuba making it Cat 3 before heading north did make a huge difference (im sorry for Cuba though). Second the westerly track spared Miami and the east coast of nastier things. I would like to hear from marinas in Naples, Ft Myers and Tampa to know how they did.

Harbortown Ft Pierce is indeed a very protected marina in terms of surge. Somebody mentioned it and he was right. Irma brought a lot of surge on the east coast. Harbortown was able to cope with it nicely.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1595.JPG
Views:	169
Size:	309.3 KB
ID:	155896
gaucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 14:21   #15

Glad it worked out.