Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2017, 05:03   #1

Fork vs Toggle

What is the difference in use between a rigging toggle and a rigging fork? When is one used and the other not? I understand that a toggle allows multidirectional play in the rigging, so why not always use it and get rid of the fork?
This may seem like a basic question, but I cannot find an answer in any of the usual books I reference. I also cannot find the answer online. I am planning the replacement of the rigging on a 35 ft sailboat and could simply replace what is already there, but I want to understand why one part is used and another is not.
Currently the turnbuckles attached to the chainplates on my boat have a toggle/turnbuckle/fork in series. An eye with swaged wire going up the mast is then attached to the fork. Why is it not toggle/turnbuckle/toggle? Could it be? Advantages/disadvantages?
Thanks,
GD
GringoDingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 08:29   #2

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"
Re: Fork vs Toggle

Quote:
Originally Posted by GringoDingo View Post
I understand that a toggle allows multidirectional play in the rigging, so why not always use it and get rid of the fork?
Exactly. An argument can be made that some rigging, like diamond stays, does not really move, so a toggle is not necessary but, when I re-rigged our boat, I found that toggles were no more expensive than forks so I went with toggles all around.

www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Come to the dark side. We have donuts.
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 11:21   #3

Re: Fork vs Toggle

Thanks,
I hear they have started to do this especially on catamarans where more flexibility is desirable. I hope to get more feedback from someone who does rigging. Does no one know; why would they have ever used forks?
GringoDingo is offline   Reply With Quote