Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-09-2018, 12:31   #16

Boat: 55' Romsdal
Re: Foldable dingy or nesting dingy

We have both a Porta Bote and a PT 11. Figure more like 600 hours to build the PT, and more like $2k for a PB when they are on special. Just bought a replacement for a 20 year old one for that last month. All things considered, I'd go with the PB. Your 4 hp is all the 8' model could handle. You can drag them up on rocks, store them for offshore passages, or tow then tucked tightly up to the stern, hopefully with the bow hoisted up out of the water on a short lead. They don't tow for beans on a long painter.
Old 14-09-2018, 17:04   #17

Boat: Nonsuch 30

We have a Chameleon nester and a couple of air floor inflatables - and used to have a Portable. We built the nester with good quality materials and a sailing rig and don't want to think about how it all cost. It was more a labour of love than anything. It rows really well but only sails OK and forget about making much to windward. We don't use an outboard since it rows so well. I can't imagine being able to get the nester down companionway steps. Ours is just too deep. A Portaboat would work well as would an air floor.
Old 14-09-2018, 17:19   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiniA View Post
We have a Chameleon nester and a couple of air floor inflatables - and used to have a Portable. We built the nester with good quality materials and a sailing rig and don't want to think about how it all cost. It was more a labour of love than anything. It rows really well but only sails OK and forget about making much to windward. We don't use an outboard since it rows so well. I can't imagine being able to get the nester down companionway steps. Ours is just too deep. A Portaboat would work well as would an air floor.
We got carried away on our PT-11 build as well, going whole hog with the carbon fiber mast and sails. I'm still learning how to dinghy sail, but they really sail very well. The banjo music is a bit much (Deliverance??) but the video shows what a fine little sailboat these are.

Old 14-09-2018, 17:25   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddy Shack View Post
We bought a new Portabote and used it for a year long cruise to Mexico. We love its functionality and how well it stows on deck. However, in a few short months the center transom hinge cracked, one oarlock broke, and many of the aluminum rivets failed. We were told by Portabote that we " must be doing something wrong ".

They did eventually send a replacement hinge when we returned to SF Bay, but we're stuck with buying (and replacing) the rest of the hardware ourselves, even though the boat is still under warranty, which my mind, has defeated the purpose of spending the money and buying new in the first place. It was not cheap so I would not buy a new one again.
That's a bummer. We just bought a 10' to replace a very old 8' and I do see how the additional hardware of the folding transom might introduce other failure points the old design didn't have. However, this one seems to be stouter than the old in terms of construction, but your experience is unfortunate.
Old 14-09-2018, 17:56   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Folding boat, love this

Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2018, 18:52   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
Love it. I've come close....
Old 14-09-2018, 22:29   #22

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

Delfin, that made me laugh like hell. I can honestly see me doing that. If it happened to the little wife....Oh my Goodness....large quantities of jewelry would be required to absolve myself of said crimes against her.... It was like a giant clam swallowed the guy.....smirk....

Those PT-11 give me heart palpitations. I would worry that someone would try really hard to steal it...it is so lovely. But I think the Takaboat, the Quick boat, and the Portabote are high on the list. I will take a very close look at the nesting dinghies brought up before ....thanks guys and gals, alan
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2018, 01:03   #23

http://www.banana-boot.de/en/ These are said to be very robust while probably and handier than a portaboat.
Airjordi is offline   Reply With Quote