Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-11-2018, 18:03   #1

Flotilla Charter in the Med?

Hi all,

Has anyone here done one of these flotilla charters in the Med? They're offered by Sunsail, Moorings, et al.

My wife would really like to do one of these "food and wine" flotillas with some friends. Honestly, I could take or leave the food and wine, but if I get to sail that works for me.

Thanks in advance for any input.
Peregrine1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 05:08   #2

Re: Flotilla Charter in the Med?

They can be fun and a good way to sail if you want some company of an evening, some light-hearted competition, or if you don't quite have the confidence to set off bareboat.

It can be good for families if the kids make friends on other boats.

Some of the better flotilla managers do a neat job booking out and getting group discounts on the best restaurants - because they are repeat custom.

If you prefer to be on your own or you'd rather pick your own taverna, it's not for you.
richr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 05:27   #3

Thanks very much for the input. We’ve done a few bareboats and a lot of cruising on our own, so I might find it a bit restrictive, but some competition also sounds fun.

My main fear is being part of a large group touring the towns. I am not a fan of that. If it’s just dinner with the group, I can probably handle that and we could use the rest of the time to explore on our own.

Thanks again
Peregrine1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 06:43   #4

I have only done one, as a teenager. For me it was slightly coloured by the fact we didn't really find kindred spirits in the broader group - my (private school) friend and I felt we were subject to inverted snobbery and we barely got beyond intros with the other families - however hard we tried to be friendly. Older teenagers actively and unpleasantly taking the piss out of our "posh" accents, with the approval of their parents. Looking back on it, I am astonished how rude they were.

Unsurprisingly I preferred our family bareboat holidays! But if you were lucky and made friends, I should think it is excellent.

I don't recall any "compulsory" shore-side activities, but it probably varies by location and according to the flotilla captain. What are they going to do anyway, tie you all together [emoji6]?
richr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charter