Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2020, 08:00   #16

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi
Re: Florida to Exumas feedback needed

We left lake worth, heading outside to fort Lauderdale. About noon we just turned left and crossed. We stayed deep water right to great harbour in the berries. 26 hours, but we intentionally slowed down to hit the bank after sunrise.
It was a great place to check in. Very protected, a marina as well as a good Anchorage. And customs and immigration come right to the dock.
If you want a dock, reserve ahead. If you want to anchor, do it inside the cut.
There is a btc tower/store within walking(or use a marina bicycle) to get your phone chip. And a fuel dock inside the cut.
It's also very easy to move south from there. We opted to go east first. Eleuthera, cat island, now in long island. Later this week going to south exuma and working north, maybe we will cross paths along the way.
Enjoy your trip however it works out.
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2020, 13:15   #17

Boat: Tartan 37

Thanks for the feedback sailjumanji. I spoke with AT&T which has a similar international plan and agree that not having to mess with unlocking phones, SIM cards etc. would be preferred.

As for water, I hold 90 gallons but use it primarily for washing/cleaning. I usually carry multiple gallons for drinking as I don't have a watermaker. Perhaps if I make it there in late May/June, I'll run into someone who has excess, though I hope we are never in dire need. I will bring a 5 gallon jug though in case.

Thanks Chris Mac for your feedback as well. I'm still leaning on going to Miami and not going around the Berries but it's been mentioned by others so definitely not out of the question. Hopefully I can make it there amidst all this virus drama. Hope you're enjoying your time there now as you should be in the Exuma chain.
StuartSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2020, 15:13   #18

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

I know you started this thread before the coronavirus breakout. But just to be sure, have you been monitoring Bahama based groups, like Facebook forum Bahamas Cruising and Sailing? There are a lot of restrictions in place in Bahamas now, US government is recommending cruisers return to US or plan to stay in Bahamas for extended period. Bahamian government priority is - rightfully so - the welfare of their own people. I wouldnt want to get stuck over there low on diesel and supplies, and be delayed into hurricane season.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2020, 19:59   #19

Boat: Tartan 37

Thanks for the heads up. I’m not on facebook but I have been checking other sources and know that my trip late May/June seems unlikely at the moment. I”m still prepping so I’ll be ready to go if there’s a chance. Very nice of you to reach out.

I know you started this thread before the coronavirus breakout. But just to be sure, have you been monitoring Bahama based groups, like Facebook forum Bahamas Cruising and Sailing? There are a lot of restrictions in place in Bahamas now, US government is recommending cruisers return to US or plan to stay in Bahamas for extended period. Bahamian government priority is - rightfully so - the welfare of their own people. I wouldnt want to get stuck over there low on diesel and supplies, and be delayed into hurricane season.
StuartSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2020, 06:00   #20

South Florida is also shutting down marinas now, which has a lot of the crossers worried about access to fuel too.
Old 23-03-2020, 15:34   #21

Boat: 35' sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailjumanji View Post
South Florida is also shutting down marinas now, which has a lot of the crossers worried about access to fuel too.
What I heard is that the marinas are NOT taking transients. Fuel and water should be available, but of course call ahead.

My marina here in Brevard is open but again, not transients.

It occured to me that if that fella hasn't much expereience, he could do short hops. Palm Beach, West End, Lucaya then Barries. Just a thought.
Tonali99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2020, 15:55   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonali99 View Post
What I heard is that the marinas are NOT taking transients. Fuel and water should be available, but of course call ahead.

My marina here in Brevard is open but again, not transients.

It occured to me that if that fella hasn't much expereience, he could do short hops. Palm Beach, West End, Lucaya then Barries. Just a thought.
Thats why you have to monitor daily. Palm Beach County closed all marinas and boat ramps two days go. Only commercial operations are allowed, and only fueling available for commercial fishing in Palm Beach County.

Also, Bahamians are getting smart and suggesting people stay away in some cays. Green Turtle Cay posted that unless you had a reason to be there, to please resist visiting.
Old 24-03-2020, 17:07   #23

Posted on Explorer Chartbooks chatter sight today.

Bahamas Chatter: All ports of entry are closed to pleasure yachts

All ports of entry are closed to pleasure yachts
Posted:*24 Mar 2020 06:04 AM PDT

The Prime Minister of The Bahamas has declared that: “All seaports also will be closed to regional and international seafaring and private boating; and no visitor is permitted to enter and disembark for any reason, including transmitting through The Bahamas.”

Tags
exumas, florida