Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2019, 12:59   #1

Florida Hurricane strategy for a Northerner

I am very interested in a boat lying in Fort Lauderdale. I'd like to leave it in Florida until I can get to it full time iNext January. I can fly down there monthly but I would feel this inadequate for monitoring.
Is this a manageable option? There are really two issues: long absences from boat and then Hurricane preparation.
Can you pay someone to watch and move boat for you and clean it etc? Are there facilities that can take 53 foot sailboat unstep and protect boat? For the Hurricane months? What are my options other than paying captain to sail boat North until hurricane seasons is finished. Then hire capt to sail it south when coast is clear! I am not looking for cheap solution just reasonably sound strategy despite costs.
Going Gaugain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 13:09   #2
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: Florida Hurricane strategy for a Northerner

How big is your wallet?

There are facilities like Indian River Marina, known for longer term storage, reasonable rates, located well inland and well protected--but limited by draft and mast height for access, unless you truck it in.

And I'm sure that there, like anywhere, you could hire someone to come aboard once or twice a week to check things out and be your local property manager, as such.

Or, there are rather pricier marinas in Fort Lauderdale, some with indoor storage and full time professionals to manage things--but if you can't afford paid crew and fresh laundry to keep their uniforms white and starched, that may not be so appealing.

Any unattended storage in Florida is problematic. Help is either expensive or unreliable or hard to find (often all three). Prices are often high. And anything left on it's own, without air conditioning, may be a rain forest or a swamp full of mud after a year. Assuming you've also had it properly secured and staked down in case another Cat4 storm passes through.

Not to say that what you want is impossible, not at all. But you will need to come up with a budget, and then see what possible solutions might fit it. Or, buy the boat next year if you're not going to be having it worked on in the meantime.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 13:27   #3

Boat: Nordhavn 46, 46'

I keep a 46' sailboat in VA on the Chesapeake. I live 400 miles away in Charleston. I keep the boat in a marina. My marina has an associated boatyard with a 25 ton travel lift and will haul out boats and set them in the yard in the event of a named storm or hurricane threatens. The mast does not need to be un-stepped. The marina will give priority to boats moored at that marina, and they will call once a storm threatens and ask if you want a haul out. IF you say no and later change your mind, they will try to get to you, but you are now on the bottom of the list.

Insurance companies will often require an arrangement like I have described before they will insure an absentee owner. There is no charge from the marina unless the boat is actually moved and hauled, then the usual rates would prevail. Of course I leave a key with them and operation instructions. I don't know to what extent the boatyard insurance duplicates mine during a haul out nor do I know the credentials of the captain who will move the boat, but I also figure the insurance company will not quibble if there is some damage since they require this. And my insurance like most will pay 50% of the haul out expenses. I suspect you can find similar arrangements at marinas in FL, but make sure what you line up satisfies your insurance company. In writing of course.

In the summer, I am at the boat a lot, but over the winter months when it is laid up in the water I have a friend check the boat when he does his. When we sail in the summer I tend to buy him and his wife a number of meals as recompense. I am positive I could also slip the marina staff $25 or so monthly and someone would check the bilges, power status, etc. There are divers for hire who will clean the hull and check/replace zincs periodically. I have one of those Fairclough covers for winter.

Pretty common arrangement on the Chesapeake, and I imagine same in FL. Ask around before buying.
Moody46CC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 07:30   #4

Boat: Down East 45 Brigantine schooner

Many owners lift their boats and leave them unattended in any number of marinas up the east coast of Florida. Hauling is normally the safest method to leave an unattended boat, but there is no telling where a hurricane will strike, and if it’s on the hard one place is pretty much as good as the next.
If you decide to leave it in the water, as I have done for the past nine years it's best to pick a "hurricane hole" marina of which there are many, or somewhere deep up the canals of Fort Lauderdale or elsewhere.
Last year Mathew came roaring up the eastern coast of Florida and my boat was in the water in Westland Marina, Titusville. She suffered small damage to the toerail, but three boats supposedly secured on the hard blew completely over.
Most marinas have staff who will keep an eye on an unattended boat, either in the water or out, but you can be sure they won’t be “responsible” for any boat in a hurricane. All the staff left our marina during the height of Mathew.
Just make sure it’s fully insured for named storms—many Florida policies are not.
Old 05-02-2019, 10:31   #5

If you store in the hard, do it right.

Reference: A Few Things to Watch Out For When You Store Your Boat Ashore This Winter - Seaworthy - BoatUS
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 10:52   #6

additional reference https://boatstands.com/types-of-boat...-boat-on-land/

https://boatstands.com/proper-use/
Old 05-02-2019, 11:02   #7
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

when the storm comes your way I suggest you have your boat in north Florida or south Georgia. when all else fails .. prayer may be good
Old 05-02-2019, 11:35   #8

Another reference

Hurricane craddle
Old 05-02-2019, 12:02   #9

A boat yard which uses cradles for sailboats not stands

Old 05-02-2019, 13:43   #10

Boat: Cal-40

I left mine one hurricane season in dry storage a Indiantown Marina. It’s about 30 miles inland up a freshwaterway so your engine gets a nice flush from the sea water before storage. Staff there was very helpful and I had no problems at all. They do fill up so it’s best to reserve a spot early. If approaching from the east you must clear a 54 foot bridge at medium tide, there is a man however who for a modest fee will place water bags on one side and list your vessel to clear under. Marina is approx 14 feet above sea level so no worries about storm surge from any storms, very safe location. Free WiFi, free showers and free electric/water in working yard. They will also keep your car for 20.00 per month for needed.
Siberian Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 18:10   #11

Boat: 1998 Sealine Statesman 42ft - Twin Cummins 6BTA

I have my boat in Harbortown on Merritt Island. The marina is well protected from hurricanes, and te people on E dock are very supportive. There are also reasonable maint-repair-upgrade options. Only E dock can handle a 53 fter.
GeneM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida, hurricane