Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2015, 19:21   #1

Boat: 1980 22 Catalina
First sailboat!

Well two weeks ago i bought my first sail boat....1980 22ft Catalina with motor and trailer. I have been looking for well over a year. Over the summer i took an ASA sailing course very helpful. I have read numerous book's watched a few DVD's . The best news is the person i bought the boat from has a captain's license and is teaching me until he moves at the end of Dec.....i don't think it get's to much better than that....i really like this Catalina...good boat to learn on. My plan is to keep the boat in the water till the end of Dec then trailer her to a place to clean and make a few adjustments no really big issues....
I just feel so lucky to have found this boat and gentlemen....this now will begin my new journey. I'm sure i will have question from time to time until then Merry Christmas to every one mark rocco
mark rocco mont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 19:26   #2

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: First sailboat!

Well done, Mark, and enjoy your new boat!

FWIW, I had a Cat 22 (hull 61, purchased direct from Frank Butller in N. Hollywood) and kept her for 7 years. Daysailed, raced and cruised in her,had a ton of fun, made lots of relatively inexpensive mistakes and a few more serious ones (three masts, racing in SF Bay). So I know that you will have the opportunity to do likewise, if perhaps on a shorter season than I enjoyed.

Have a ball!

Jim
Old 02-12-2015, 19:33   #3

Thank you Jim . my plan is to keep her about four years. Then i hope to have saved enough money to buy the boat that i will live on. I know i can do this ...buying this boat just proved to me that when you really put your mind to something you can make it work...thank you again
mark rocco
Old 02-12-2015, 19:49   #4

Location: Thhe boat is in Titusville, FL and we're back in CO for a few months resupplying the cruising kitty and raising money for our childrens dental charity www.sailing4smiles.com
Boat: 1982 Cape Dory 36 Hull #78

Welcome, and congratulations. That's a reputable boat and I'm sure you'll have a great time getting to know her. I also am new to the sailing cult, having bought my very first sailboat this summer.
Send pics. We like pics.
SSgtPitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 05:41   #5

I will get plenty of pic soon. You sir have my dream boat I love the Cape Dory.....i hope to own one of that size in another four years....did you buy the CD were you live or did you have to travel far . I look on several sites for CD now about once a week. Before i bought the Catalina i was looking at the 18 and 19 ft CD...I'm very happy with my Catalina looking forward to many good times! mark rocco
Old 03-12-2015, 12:11   #6

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Welcome, Mark,

Congrats on your new boat! It sounds like everything is falling into place for you. Well done.

I fondly remember my first boat- a Newport 27- not all that different from yours...

Enjoy and stay safe!

Cheers!

-Bill
Old 03-12-2015, 13:35   #7

Location: Thhe boat is in Titusville, FL and we're back in CO for a few months resupplying the cruising kitty and raising money for our childrens dental charity www.sailing4smiles.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark rocco mont View Post
I will get plenty of pic soon. You sir have my dream boat I love the Cape Dory.....i hope to own one of that size in another four years....did you buy the CD were you live or did you have to travel far . I look on several sites for CD now about once a week. Before i bought the Catalina i was looking at the 18 and 19 ft CD...I'm very happy with my Catalina looking forward to many good times! mark rocco
Mark, i hate to brag, but not so much about this boat. Bought it in Pensacola and sailed her 700nm to Corpus Christi end of Aug this year. She's almost perfect. Someone told me i could "show" her.
I started a thread "50 and ready to shove off" that has a conversation from me thinking about buying a boat to actually doing it. There's 3 pics on the 3rd page if you're interested.
Old 03-12-2015, 14:05   #8

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

Congrats on having your first boat. Hope she serves you well and you get all the enjoyment you can. It's a good place to start and grow. May be able to find a group and race each other as well.
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 14:23   #9

Catalina was the first boat I sailed....in July this year during my ASA COURSES. it had a tiller. We had a blast and the boat sailed and handled very well.
I put some more CD36 pics up on my profile.

Tags
sail, sailboat