Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-03-2011, 16:37   #1

First boat for cruising

I've been looking at some boats on ebay-around 27'-30'. I'm looking at something under 8k. Will well maintained boats from the 70s-80s besides thier engines(old diesels probably not that reliable) be a good ocean cruising boat(not ocean crossing). Id probably put an outboard on it. Also would 2 electric outboards move a boat this size?
sustainsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2011, 08:31   #2

Boat: 1988 Hans Christian 33
Re: First boat for cruising

Personally, I wouldn't consider sailing in the ocean with an outboard motor as my auxilliary. I darn sure wouldn't do it with an electric outboard. If I were you, I'd be looking for the heaviest boat I could find with a nice small diesel in it.
Lowcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2011, 08:53   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

For under 8k it will be hard to find a go-anywhere boat, even with an exhausted diesel. But south Florida is full of fixer-uppers for sale--my first was one of those. I wouldn't consider owning a boat with an inboard diesel: who wants a big stinky machine in their living space? Both my boats (27' and 31') have had outboards, and they're initially far cheaper and always easier to maintain than diesels. Electric motors need electricity, and I doubt solar panels and wind noisemakers could keep up with the draw, so you'd need some kind of motor to generate. At the end of the day, you can cruise anywhere on almost any budget, limited mostly by how much discomfort you can take.
Also, not all boats from the 70s/80s make good cruisers. Find the hull shape you want or find acceptable and go from there. Everything else can be replaced, but you're pretty much stuck with the underwater profile with which the boat was built.
Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2011, 09:11   #4

Our first real cruising boat was an Alberg 29. Same o Same o Cape Dory.
Jack Tar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2011, 09:17   #5

Boat: 1988 Hans Christian 33

An outboard on a sailboat is fine in flat water. An outboard on a sailboat offshore in rough conditions is like not having a motor at all. It is nearly impossible to keep the foot in the water, resulting in frequent cavitation. Also, most outboards don't have enough of an alternator to assist in charging your house bank, so all that money you "saved" by having an outboard will have to be spent on solar panels or a wind generator (if you plan on having any sort of electrical power at all). As for being stinky, there is absolutely zero smell on my boat from my Yanmar 3YM30. Maybe if you have a poorly maintained diesel that leaks oil and exhaust gasses into your living space then you would have a complaint, but that's more of a maintainence issue than the fault of the diesel.
Lowcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2011, 09:32   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

Ha ha, should have said: noisy. I agree that outboard alternators don't work well for house banks, but who wants all sort of heavy, expensive batteries in their boat? I can't abide the thought.
Benz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising