Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-12-2021, 23:10   #1

Boat: Jeanneau 349
First Asymetric Spinnaker

Have a quick question about my first asymmetric spinnaker that I have bought every and flown (have used my code zero previously) that’s rigged via a sock. What is the best way to attach the tack of the sail to the tack line? Always can tie it in but is there a clasp or quick release that would be more recommended to be able to release it under load?
Letterkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2021, 07:10   #2

Boat: Maine Cat 38
Re: First Asymetric Spinnaker

I am flying a large assym on a cat, furling with a sock...

I can see the urge to put some quick release in the tack. I have not done so, but I have an adjustable tack line that could be let to run in the event of catastrophe. I have never got anywhere close to opening that clutch.

After a bit of practice hoisting and furling with the sock has become routine, even with a bit of wind in the sail When the wind is up easing the sheet and hiding the spin behind the main help get the sock furling started. Then all goes smoothly.

I am fairly conservative in selecting good conditions for flying the spin. It will be interesting to hear the ideas of others...especially those flying assyms aggressively.
Old 27-12-2021, 09:55   #3

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5

I use this:

https://www.sailrite.com/Swivel-Snap...tainless-Steel

It helps when I am lowering the sail. As for being overpowered, once you let the burdened sheet fly, bring the sock down even a little, the spin depowers immediately. You will want to be able to pop the tack fast, to get you and the sail off the foredeck stat.

Ben
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2021, 11:30   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bensolomon View Post
I use this:

It helps when I am lowering the sail. As for being overpowered, once you let the burdened sheet fly, bring the sock down even a little, the spin depowers immediately. You will want to be able to pop the tack fast, to get you and the sail off the foredeck stat.

Ben
Yes I was thinking of something like that. Was going to fly it today but winds looking too high especially for the first time going. My tack line runs to a clutch in the cockpit so I can always release that too if overpowered but just wanted more insight.
Old 27-12-2021, 13:00   #5

Boat: Sabre 402

Quote:
Originally Posted by bensolomon View Post
I use this:

Ben
Is that fitting strong enough? Something with a higher MWL might be called for in a boat that size. I would worry about it deforming (and being unable to open) or blowing apart under load.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2021, 14:02   #6

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis, 34

So I'm not the only lucky guy to get a new asy for Christmas. I've attached the tack with a snap shackle (960kg SWL). I'm on a 34' Beneteau. The tack line goes through a block then back to the anchor winch (three turns) then to a cleat. Not ideal, but a good temporary solution until we can run it back to a second block and a clutch near the cockpit.
We did some first trials on Christmas morning in 6-10kts winds just so the crew could get used to it. The gybes went well as did an emergency quick drop drill. (I'm a big believer in practising for bad decisions, under safe conditions, before you need to.) Ben's comment about depowering the sail by letting the sheet fly a little and dropping even part of sock is spot on.
capblasters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2021, 14:27   #7

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 37

That’s very exciting, Graham. I am thinking about getting an asymmetric spinnaker as well. I will look out for you flying your spinnaker on lake Mac. Who did you get yours from?
Macdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2021, 15:10   #8

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock

I bought one of these (not necessarily this size) years ago as it can be released safely under load.

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/tylas...02_060_001_508

I didn't remember it being this expensive!

Anyway, I trip the tack to douse and snuff the sail, so it's under load when I trip it.
ggray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2021, 15:35   #9

Boat: Morgan 384, 38 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggray View Post
I bought one of these (not necessarily this size) years ago as it can be released safely under load.

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/tylas...02_060_001_508

I didn't remember it being this expensive!

Anyway, I trip the tack to douse and snuff the sail, so it's under load when I trip it.
Yes, this is what we use too, for the tack on our asymmetrical, and it works well with one hand. Since you're typically reaching out there to get it. The link earlier for the Sailrite shackle does not release under serious load (I think).

This kind that works under load is also called a "trigger shackle", and I do remember being shocked at how much they cost. Typical boat thing: Looks like it would cost about $8 at Home Depot but it really costs about $190!
Old 27-12-2021, 16:23   #10

Boat: Island Packet 40

I use a line from the bowsprit end, up through the tack ring, doubled back down through a ring on the bowsprit, and back to one of the forward cleats. If I need to release the tack I just uncleat the line and let it run through the rings.
Old 27-12-2021, 16:52   #11

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Who’s your crew? If an asym is new to the crew, go out in very light air a few times. A powerful spin with a novice crew is a good way to ensure the spin never gets used again. AMHIK
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2021, 17:20   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Kaufman 47, Cutter

Blowing the tack... Use a Tylaska. Not cheap but it will release under load. Else run the tack line to a jammer and release it from there. Most everything is easy when the winds are light, but depowering the asymmetrical can be exciting when the winds pick up.
michaeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2021, 17:58   #13

Boat: Sabre 402

Note that the Tylaska people suggest that their T5 shackle, with MWL of about 2500 pounds, be used on smaller boats- up to about the size of a J/24. They suggest the T12 shackle with MWL of 6000 pounds for boats 30-45 feet long. Asyms have considerable pull.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2021, 23:39   #14

Thanks all. I used something like that Sailrite link when I went out today (took it off my code zero) and will go to West Marine to pick up a dedicated one. Was a successful (albeit short) sail with the new asym today. It’s usually just my wife and I but seemed to be pretty good. Our main problem is how shifty the wind can be down here in San Diego so will likely only use it on longer steadier sails and likely use the code zero more often for both upwind and downwind.
Old 28-12-2021, 21:35   #15

If you want a remote trippable option some boats will run a Tylaska with a Martin breaker and a fixed length of line to trip it. https://www.mauriprosailing.com/us/p...1012-S-MB.html

One thing to know and be aware of is sometimes the socks jam and you need to know how to quickly deal with a fouled sock approaching a Lee shore. A safe way to get the kit down is to blow the tack and letter box the Asym into the main cabin hatch using your lazy sheet. Practice getting it down and become good at it without the sock so you don’t have to figure that out when things don’t go as planned. Another thing is that you can really depower the sail when sailing deep if things go wrong.
SurlySailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
spinnaker