Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2014, 03:30   #1

First 6 Weeks Of Marina Life

It has been a lot of fun and hard work getting things ready to move the boat over to my new location. It is the busy season for realtors and my available time has been pretty limited. My boat is finally settled in at the new marina with a big thanks to Cap'n Tom from Virginia Beach. He helped me with the move and taught me quite a lot during the 6 hour transit. We had to do the usual dodging of the container ships on the way out. The people I have met have been awesome. I have met a couple "snobs" but they are the exception. Just hanging out at the marina is fun, and some times pretty entertaining.

Things I have seen:

1. Saw a boat (Sea Ray) sink right across from my slip.

2. A lady walk off the pier while texting. Didn't see it happen, but I helped her back onto the pier.

3. Saw a guy with a 25' sailboat trying to tack out of the marina pretty close to mine with his wife screaming and paddling like crazy trying to keep him from hitting everything on the way out. His outboard looked brand new but he wasn't using it......... might have been broke?

4. Had a seagull crash into my cockpit right next me while I was sitting there eating lunch one afternoon. I thought it was dead, so I put it into a cardboard box. Five minutes later it was thrashing about. I brought it back topside and he flew off.

5. Yesterday, I saw a guy with a sweet looking boat get underway with his shore power still plugged into the pedestal. I saw the yellow line from his stern to the pier come into view and go dead straight.....POP! I thought he was going to tear out the pedestal until the cable let go. He was screaming at the lady on board all the way out to the channel. I felt bad for her.

6. Watched a guy climb his mast. It took him a while to get up there. He forgot his light bulb.

7. Small parties going on all over the place on weekends.

I wish I had started this sailing thing 20 years ago.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140928_154045.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	411.9 KB
ID:	89111   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140929_121437.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	291.1 KB
ID:	89112  

Name:	1907438_10152419728942169_73184270050252317_n.jpg
Views:	591
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	89113   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140928_154318.jpg
Views:	412
Size:	420.0 KB
ID:	89114  

Name:	20140929_115232.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	260.4 KB
ID:	89115  
Old Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 06:06   #2

Boat: Cape Dory 33
Re: First 6 Weeks Of Marina Life

That's some good stuff Old Snipe (from an entertainment standpoint)!! Sounds like you are really going to enjoy yourself there.
Old 02-10-2014, 06:34   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Fun stuff ain't it !

Of course there's bad too... but the scale is heavily weighted to the grinning side.... Elated you are having a blast man.... You deserve it...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 06:56   #4
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Life aboard is definitely more interesting and entertaining!
The goal of course it to be the observer and NOT the character in the Drama...but know this....live aboard long enough and it will one day be your turn...so laugh at yourself and enjoy.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 07:44   #5

Boat: csy 37

And the best part of all is that, when you've seen enough, you can just untie your lines and go somewhere else!
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 09:42   #6

Boat: Island Packet 35

Yes some funny stuff but always sad to see a boat standing on the bottom, even if it is powered!!
nicholson31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 10:20   #7

Boat: Catalina 387

Sounds entertaining. I must admit, I've been the guy with the shore power on more than one occasion
jeepbluetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 10:23   #8

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

Man, I've been living aboard for the past few months now and I haven't seen anything nearly as good as any of those!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 11:32   #9

in my experience, a "pier" is a dock held up with pillings, they tie battleships to! most [99.9%] marinas have what is called "floats" that we tie our money pits to...that`s because they "float", hence the name...most people use the term "docks" for floats...bit of old salty info...c
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 11:36   #10

Boat: Freedom 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Snipe View Post
It has been a lot of fun and hard work getting things ready to move the boat over to my new location. It is the busy season for realtors and my available time has been pretty limited. My boat is finally settled in at the new marina with a big thanks to Cap'n Tom from Virginia Beach. He helped me with the move and taught me quite a lot during the 6 hour transit. We had to do the usual dodging of the container ships on the way out. The people I have met have been awesome. I have met a couple "snobs" but they are the exception. Just hanging out at the marina is fun, and some times pretty entertaining.

Things I have seen:

2. A lady walk off the pier while texting. Didn't see it happen, but I helped her back onto the pier.

3. Saw a guy with a 25' sailboat trying to tack out of the marina pretty close to mine with his wife screaming and paddling like crazy trying to keep him from hitting everything on the way out. His outboard looked brand new but he wasn't using it......... might have been broke?

4. Had a seagull crash into my cockpit right next me while I was sitting there eating lunch one afternoon. I thought it was dead, so I put it into a cardboard box. Five minutes later it was thrashing about. I brought it back topside and he flew off.

5. Yesterday, I saw a guy with a sweet looking boat get underway with his shore power still plugged into the pedestal. I saw the yellow line from his stern to the pier come into view and go dead straight.....POP! I thought he was going to tear out the pedestal until the cable let go. He was screaming at the lady on board all the way out to the channel. I felt bad for her.

6. Watched a guy climb his mast. It took him a while to get up there. He forgot his light bulb.

Isn't life GRAND! I wish I had started 50yrs ago! But what a way to go. Thanks for the share.
zengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 13:42   #11

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Snipe View Post

Things I have seen:

Thanks, that was hilarious. You will never meet nicer people than on the water.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 13:52   #12

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Thanks for sharing the laughter. Just know that we all take our turns providing the entertainment. One of the best thing about the sailing life is it makes you laugh at yourself.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 13:55   #13

yep, being at the marina is great people watching for sure. Part of the fun of living aboard.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 14:33   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholson31 View Post
Yes some funny stuff but always sad to see a boat standing on the bottom, even if it is powered!!
Very true Nichlolson..... that part was sad.
Old Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 00:52   #15

your travel style is perfect!