Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-07-2009, 08:58   #1

Boat: 28 sea ray sugar babe
Finding Owner of Boat?

I want to find a boat owner and only have cf numbers.I heard that his boat is for sale through the grape vine but nobody knows owners name or number.
geraldbasford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2009, 09:33   #2

Boat: finally a catamaran dive boat...
Send a message via MSN to cdennyb Send a message via Skype™ to cdennyb
ask a CG officer, sheriff, or other law enforcement official to run the CF info for you, maybe they'll be nice and you can find out that way. Otherwise go to the web site for the govt agencies in your state and look it up that way.
Old 23-07-2009, 07:25   #3

Boat: Pearson P39Hull#72
If No Luck Online.....

Not Sure which state "cf" is, however, usually the DMV can provide You the owner's name & address w/either the
Registration #'s, the registration Decal # (takes getting right up there to it) or the HIN (Hull Identification Number) Usually located (req'd on all boats mfg'ed after 1972) on the top starboard Transom, molded, engraved, or otherwise permanently set in that transom or back of the hull. Make sure You copy down Every ONE of the letters/numbers/characters & between the THREE Items noted they should be able to look up even a Long Expired record.

Phone numbers are a whole 'nuther animal, but at least You can get a name & last known address. It's a start.
HTH,
-Mick
captmick39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2009, 07:31   #4

If it is a US documented boat...all you need is the boat name:

Office of Science and Technology

camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2009, 09:13   #5

finding boat owner

Thanks for the response about finding boat owner. I have a slip in a marina and see a great cruiser that has been slowly wasting away from no attention whatsoever.I have been looking for a cruiser that someone wants to sell because of no longer interested or can't afford.What a shame to just see it wasting away.You never know. I'm not an oppertunist or enjoy dealing in some ones misery but a true boat and water nut. Once again thanks. I love this forum.I'm retired and my wife and I caretake an island and commute from island by boat allmost every day.I think my wife is getting to enjoy being on and around water now.I knew I would wear her down.Ha ha/
Old 23-07-2009, 09:19   #6

Boat: Catalina 34MKII
If the boat is in a marina the marina management should have a name and number!
Old 23-07-2009, 11:20   #7

Boat: Pearson P39Hull#72
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomdidit View Post
If the boat is in a marina the marina management should have a name and number!
Roger that! & for "confidentiality reasons" they may not be willing to give You the owner's info, however for a Grant (as in $50. Bill...although usually refused when they realize by the OFFER that YOU ARE SERIOUS ABOUT Contacting this person) they'll pick up the phone & CALL 'em. I've had 'em hand me the PHONE after the call & preliminaries were out of the way...got a 37' Ketch exactly the same way after a wk. working on the boat 2 slips over in a Yacht Club about 15 yrs ago...tide rose & fell...the ketch didn't. Bare Poles & looked R-O-U-G-H(!). They (the YC) was SOOOO Happy to see the exchange of title, they allowed me to work around the clock rebuilding a p4-107 right before surveyor came prior funding via installment loan as value was $35k (as diver burned up 4 tanks getting all the oysters off that had literally grown from hull to bottom of slip) & Purchase Price was $9.5k...we just didn't have that much at the time, cash on hand. Owner was dying of pancreatic cancer & hadn't stepped foot on her in 7.5 years. We (per his wife) removed a gr8 burden off his mind in the process of purchase. We enjoyed for many years & eventually sold in '95 to put 25% down on house & land in another area (far from the ocean) where wife & kids were overjoyed & I was miserable for 10 years. Point was/is,
the Marina May well WANT something (anything) done w/this vessel as lack of attn. SHOWS & reflects badly on their whole marina. IF they help You & You make it clear You have no reason to leave except for bottom job, etc., they're usually willing to connect to Owner.
Good Luck, it's time to pay the office a visit;
-Mick
captmick39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2009, 19:03   #8

Thanks for the info. I didn't think about what wharf master might appreciate about getting delapidated crafts taken care of.I will persue thatb ave. I think you will see more boats neglected or just ignored for lack of money to keep up or lack of interest.I have never lost interest but have a definate lack oh moo laa.
Old 23-07-2009, 20:19   #9

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
Just to pick up on what Mick said - some of those neglected boats are also behind on their storage fees and the marinas would love to see a new owner. Perhaps not, but you have little to do by asking.

Also if checking with the state/county - some handle through the DMV, but others through the registrars office or where ever property taxes are paid.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2009, 02:22   #10
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by geraldbasford View Post
I have a slip in a marina and see a great cruiser that has been slowly wasting away from no attention whatsoever.
As already said, starting with the Marina / dock owner would be the easiest - even if only to pass on a message.

But failing that (or as well as) I would keep an eye out for the neighbours of that boat (and not just the immediate neighbours), a good chance someone may know some of the story of the owner / boat - which may give you a steer in the right direction.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2009, 07:06   #11

Thanks I didn't expect the great response out there. This seems to be a great forum.
Old 24-07-2009, 09:14   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
You could try searching at Boat/Yacht/Ship Search
Boat, Yacht, Ship Documented Information

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote