Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-04-2021, 07:39   #1

Boat: Rayvin 30
Finally taken the plunge!

After years of dreaming we have taken the plunge and acquired a small 30 ft Rayvin Catamaran! I have to say the deal was one of the strangest transactions as the previous owner claimed to know very little about his boat having owned it for 3 years!

I came close to walking away but in the end made an offer which was accepted! We needed to move her 50nm and went for a test sail the day before and discovered one engine overheating which did not manifest during the sea trial!

So that was a real dampener! Fortunately turned out to be a blocked exhaust elbow which once fixed was the end of the problem! The usual teaching issues and the other motor will need to be done too!

A number of electrical issues were solved and we are very chuffed with finally having a great little yacht!Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9958.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	236628
SteveG58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2021, 08:54   #2

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage
Re: Finally taken the plunge!

Interesting cats the original builder/designer Rajen Naidu set up the company with his wife Vinessa I believe the name "Ra"y"vin" stems from this. He now heads up Taylor Smith in the Seychelles and his son Dihren was designing and building cats at the TS yard in Mauritius.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2021, 08:59   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Cute boat! Congratulations and fair winds!
Old 16-04-2021, 09:01   #4

Boat: Hanse 531

Congratulations! Beautiful picture!
Old 16-04-2021, 09:25   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupaia View Post
Interesting cats the original builder/designer Rajen Naidu set up the company with his wife Vinessa I believe the name "Ra"y"vin" stems from this. He now heads up Taylor Smith in the Seychelles and his son Dihren was designing and building cats at the TS yard in Mauritius.

Hi Tupaia
Yes you are 100% correct ! Thanks
Old 16-04-2021, 09:36   #6

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveG58 View Post
After years of dreaming we have taken the plunge and acquired a small 30 ft Rayvin Catamaran! I have to say the deal was one of the strangest transactions as the previous owner claimed to know very little about his boat having owned it for 3 years!

I came close to walking away but in the end made an offer which was accepted! We needed to move her 50nm and went for a test sail the day before and discovered one engine overheating which did not manifest during the sea trial!

So that was a real dampener! Fortunately turned out to be a blocked exhaust elbow which once fixed was the end of the problem! The usual teaching issues and the other motor will need to be done too!

A number of electrical issues were solved and we are very chuffed with finally having a great little yacht!Attachment 236628
Congrats - looks to be a sweet boat. South Africa is becoming famous for building catamarans and also some pretty severe sailing conditions (so take it slow) this might be why the previous owner never used the boat much. I've heard horror stories about the Aiguilles Channel in the wrong conditions. I suspect you'll find a lot of deferred maintenance issues which hopefully can be easily addressed before doing any serious passage making - I hear Madagascar is worth the trip and Zanzibar is definitely on my bucket list.
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2021, 10:15   #7

Boat: been sitting it out

hey, congratulations!!!

for years now, it has been so terribly hard for me to actually take that plunge. tell me, how long does one have to hold their breath and count?

enjoy your boat! and live life to the hilt!

wolfgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2021, 10:41   #8

Thanks all.!! Work got in the way mostly and the thought of having a boat that you cannot utilize stopped me from going ahead!! Now retired so going for it!
Old 16-04-2021, 10:44   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgal View Post
hey, congratulations!!!

for years now, it has been so terribly hard for me to actually take that plunge. tell me, how long does one have to hold their breath and count?

enjoy your boat! and live life to the hilt!

Wolfgang, I had to lower my standard and got a boat I could afford! Some say that’s the best one!? So although I wanted a 4 cabin 2 head 40 footer we settled on 3 cabins one head. At least with a good reputation![emoji15]
Old 16-04-2021, 10:52   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelhemington View Post
Congrats - looks to be a sweet boat. South Africa is becoming famous for building catamarans and also some pretty severe sailing conditions (so take it slow) this might be why the previous owner never used the boat much. I've heard horror stories about the Aiguilles Channel in the wrong conditions. I suspect you'll find a lot of deferred maintenance issues which hopefully can be easily addressed before doing any serious passage making - I hear Madagascar is worth the trip and Zanzibar is definitely on my bucket list.

Hi Joel. The intention is to get to Madagascar and eventually to S/E Asia. Although I haven’t sailed Zanzibar we were a bit disappointed with a land trip there!
Agree South African coast not easy cruising grounds especially for a 30 foot catamaran! Very few bolt holes!
If the hour meter is correct she only has 410 hours ! She was used as a live aboard for years and hardly left the dock! Last owner admitted to not have a skippers license! No doubt there will be many issues but hopefully not too bad!
Old 16-04-2021, 10:52   #11

Boat: been sitting it out

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveG58 View Post
Wolfgang, I had to lower my standard and got a boat I could afford! Some say that’s the best one!? So although I wanted a 4 cabin 2 head 40 footer we settled on 3 cabins one head. At least with a good reputation![emoji15]
yes, and that is very wise. the enjoyment is the same if you can keep your cup is half full, and the view from the cockpit at sunset is definitely always the same.

bravo, for having done what needed to be done to make your dream come true!

wolfgal
wolfgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2021, 20:55   #12

Boat: Roberts 45

Congrats! Looks like a very nice boat indeed!

https://www.timantra.net
hzcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2021, 00:05   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgal View Post
yes, and that is very wise. the enjoyment is the same if you can keep your cup is half full, and the view from the cockpit at sunset is definitely always the same.

bravo, for having done what needed to be done to make your dream come true!

wolfgal

Many thanks!!
Old 17-04-2021, 00:05   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by hzcruiser View Post
Congrats! Looks like a very nice boat indeed!

Thank you. I am sure we will have great fun!!