Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-04-2017, 10:59   #1

Boat: Irwin 37 CC
Fess Up

Ok How many of you actually skirted checking into a place because you knew your were leaving the next day? And also how many have actually been stopped "by the Authorities" while cruising along?
Outcasts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2017, 11:22   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Fess Up

There may be some appropriate discussion with this topic, but all should be aware that the Cruisers Forum does not condone posts that promote any illegal activity.
Old 28-04-2017, 11:38   #3

No I'm not condoning anything like that lol. Just a general sense of ...Hey I'm just passing through under my yellow flag because I don't like these beaches but I need to sleep real quick" type of things thats all.
Old 28-04-2017, 11:46   #4

Boat: a sailing boat

The rules on checking in are set by the country and the Q flag does not mean anything like "hey girls, I am just passing by". The flag means you are requesting a clearance and so you are not supposed to sail on the next morning.

Actual penalty will vary by country. Never try this in the US, AUS, nor RUS. Some island nations are more relaxed though and will not hit you if you stop tonight and hoist the flag then sleep over and proceed to check in the morning.

Do not play any games as the debris will sure hit other people who will visit the same place after you have left.

The country sets the rules of the game, you play the game.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2017, 11:46   #5

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Some of the islands in the Carribean are OK with this. I actually asked Dominica customs if they were OK with boats Q-Flagging through. They said "No problem as long as no one gets off the boat!"

Although we didn't ask customs in Gaudaloupe if it was OK. We Q-Flagged in Dehais, Gaudaloupe as we arrived after the check-in place was closed (you don't go to customs in Gaudaloupe, just a local shop with a customs computer). We then left at first light before the place opened.

Other than that.. I wouldn't risk not checking in most of the other countries we have visited. Some of the countries are very strict about it (BVI, Antigua, SVG). Just not worth it.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2017, 11:59   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

I've done it a few times in France. It is a total PITA to check in in any French Atlantic port. If I don't need the stamp in my passport, then I fly the Q flag and inform the port captain but do not go roaming around the town in search of a customs agent. If they don't check, as they never do, then I don't get bothered about it.

However, that is only if I'm on a quick trip across the Channel to a single port, returning from there to the UK. If I've entered Schengen to stay for a while, then I find a ferry port or some place where there's someone with a stamp, and insist that they clear me in. They usually don't want to.

Note that I am on a UK flagged boat so there is no customs clearance between EU countries, only passport control for non-EU citizens on board (like me). On a non-EU flagged boat then I would definitely not risk this.

As someone else said -- don't try this in the U.S. or RU. You will be really, really sorry if you fail to cross even one "t" or dot even one "i", in those countries. The worst, worse then RU, are my own countrymen, in the U.S., with no humor and practically zero tolerance for even minor violations of the immigration regime. Don't mess with them.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2017, 12:15   #7

I have seen many people come from St. John to White bay, pull up to the bar get smashed, wake up in the morning and head back. Thats why I asked the question.
Old 28-04-2017, 13:38   #8

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

I have done what a previous poster above suggested when it is OK with the authorities in that place. In St. Lucia, Dominica and Guadeloupe I have stopped to sleep with a Q flag. The authorities are OKwith that if you stay on the boat. Also as suggested above, in some places the rules dont allow this. Antigua is very strict though helpful if you ask them what is allowed and what isnt. BVI's want you to follow their rules. Period. The US likewise.
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2017, 14:06   #9

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outcasts View Post
I have seen many people come from St. John to White bay, pull up to the bar get smashed, wake up in the morning and head back. Thats why I asked the question.
Damn.. I don't think I would try that in the BVI. I personally know someone that was threatened with a $50,000 fine for failing to reel in their fishing lines as they crossed from St. Martin.

Check-in at Soppers hole was so easy I can't imagine taking that risk. Hell, they will even give you an In and Out (up to 72 hours) if you ask nicely! Just not worth the risk!
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2017, 15:22   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
No I'm not condoning anything like that lol. Just a general sense of ...Hey I'm just passing through under my yellow flag because I don't like these beaches but I need to sleep real quick" type of things thats all.

First, you need to learn what displaying a "yellow flag" means.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2017, 17:51   #11
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

I seem to remember that it is okay to keep going in the Bahamas for 24 hours with the Q flag hoisted.
A few times I have arrived there late at night, anchored with dinner and drinks, then check in next morning at slack tide.
Been coming back to US for 18 years with the Q flag hoisted and nobody paid any attention. Straight to my dock, then the mandatory phone call to Custom and Immigration.
Could have smuggled people and drugs for a living.
Old 28-04-2017, 18:40   #12

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Many small nations just dont have the enforcement resources to be aware of or persue every boat crossing their borders. So of course many can and do get away with it, but if you happen to get caught the penalties can be severe...including losing your boat (and insurance wont pay).

Only you can decide if the risk is worth it.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2017, 11:01   #13

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Re being stopped. Ive had authorities in a number of places make a quick spot check...paperwork has always been in order so no problem...wouldnt want be caught unprepared.

Been checked by local authorities and by the USCG working in the waters of other countries.

Doesnt happen often, but it does happen.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2017, 11:51   #14
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
"Passing through under my yellow flag" is illegal.

Utterly illegal and can end in a fine, deportation (and try getting into any other country after you have been deported) and forfeiture of your boat.

And those that do it deserve what they get.

It's a totally selfish thing to do as it just makes all cruisers look like criminals.
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2017, 12:22   #15

I'm just asking a question guys. No need to tear my head off. I have been to about 60 Islands up to St Martin and never once checked in.. then again I was on a big Grey boat. No one bothered to check us out.