Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-12-2017, 12:05   #16

Re: fenders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post
I’ve used whitewall tire cleaner like this

Black Magic 120066 Bleche-Wite Tire Cleaner, 32 oz. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004YZUK02..._XfwpAb1SQWYDJ

Works well, cleans with a bit of scrubbing. However, it is a good to follow up with a plastic treatment like Armor All.

That said, after a few months of exposure the fenders looked old and stained again. We covered them. Wow! No more cleaning. No more dirty smears on the hull sides. Did I mention no more cleaning?
Did you mention “ no more cleaning “ , well that really interests me ,but at 20 £/$ a time , well might just be worth it , ye all 👍
Cherod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2017, 12:09   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
FWIW, those were two of the products I tried in my recent clean-up, prior to using Spray Nine. Neither made much progress on our fender dirt and grime.

From memory, other products were Simpy Awesome, Mary Kate something or other, 409, Star Brite Fender Cleaner, Soft Scrub, Kaboom (foam), baking soda, vinegar... and none of those were awesome either.

-Chris
Another plug for spray 9 ,,, hope it is available in the old world !! Thanks 👍
Old 22-12-2017, 12:18   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post
I’ve used whitewall tire cleaner like this

Black Magic 120066 Bleche-Wite Tire Cleaner, 32 oz. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004YZUK02..._XfwpAb1SQWYDJ

Works well, cleans with a bit of scrubbing. However, it is a good to follow up with a plastic treatment like Armor All.

That said, after a few months of exposure the fenders looked old and stained again. We covered them. Wow! No more cleaning. No more dirty smears on the hull sides. Did I mention no more cleaning?
Thanks for that mate ( ooops hope you not Canadian ! ) but I find the best cleaner for my white walls ( Harley Davidson ) is good old fashioned WD 40 , maybe give that a try tomo , I have plenty of that ��. Thank you Rod
Old 22-12-2017, 12:46   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
I guess that this is heresy, but we've used acetone for cleaning PVC fenders and cowl vents for years and haven't destroyed them yet. Does remove the glossy finish of new PVC but for fenders that seems a small price to pay for the ease of cleaning that is achieved.

Jim
Thanks Ann , I had thot of acetone but feared it would’ve far too fearce , May give it a try , ( after the bleach !! )
Old 22-12-2017, 12:47   #20

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

I've cleaned mine once with acetone. It worked, but really why bother, unless you've not get any other boat work to do?

I don't think I'll ever understand fender socks. The whole point of the fender is to protect. So now you are protecting the item that is meant to protect. What's the next step. Protecting the item that is protecting the item that is suppose to protect? This could go on for quite some time.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2017, 12:49   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by deblen View Post
Try waxing them after acetone cleaning. / Len
Can you recommend a spray on wax 😀 , thanks Rod
Old 22-12-2017, 12:51   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedefieslife View Post
I've cleaned mine once with acetone. It worked, but really why bother, unless you've not get any other boat work to do?

I don't think I'll ever understand fender socks. The whole point of the fender is to protect. So now you are protecting the item that is meant to protect. What's the next step. Protecting the item that is protecting the item that is suppose to protect? This could go on for quite some time.
Might give you sumfin to do while you are “ becalmed in the med “ 😀
Old 22-12-2017, 12:55   #23

And thanks to all and any responders whom I may have missed , even those with the dirty fenders and hands / nails , one and all .��
Old 22-12-2017, 16:35   #24

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherod View Post
Thanks Ann , I had thot of acetone but feared it would’ve far too fearce , May give it a try , ( after the bleach !! )
Well, I'm pretty thankful for Ann myself, but she ain't responsible for that heretical methodology.

Jim
Old 22-12-2017, 16:40   #25

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Did you mention “ no more cleaning “ , well that really interests me ,but at 20 £/$ a time , well might just be worth it , ye all 👍
If store-bought fender covers have prices that bring tears to your eyes, run down to the nearest op-shop and buy a few old pairs of sweat pants. Hack off the legs at appropriate lengths for your fenders, poke some holes (or go fancy with eyelets) and thread some small stuff through the holes to gather the ends et voila, very cheap fender covers!

Jim
Old 22-12-2017, 17:14   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedefieslife View Post

We had a set of these fenders in green without covers, all about 4 years old....

......left the boat for a few months and the sun got to 2 of them and they basically started to break down and melt, left a big green sticky mess down the sides, ended up using "Racing Rubber Remover" to clean the stuff off, which thankfully i remembered from my motor-sporting days, nothing else would touch the stuff without damaging the paint....

Now have new fenders with covers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1025-1.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	128.0 KB
ID:	160903  

Be Brave, Take Risks, Nothing Can Substitute Experience
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2017, 18:13   #27

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by deblen View Post
Once old fenders lose their surface finish there is really no bringing them back...and they will leave really hard to remove gunk on your top sides. Clean em up as best you can and then cover them w some Roll Neck (good stuff...and way cheaper than some of the stoopid overpriced premade fender covers...geez, its just a cloth tube after all).
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2017, 19:29   #28

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Quote:
Can you recommend a spray on wax 😀 , thanks Rod
I used rub on/off hull wax myself,but I suppose any good wax will do.
I tried many of the mentioned cleaners (& others) in a test some years ago.
I found each cleaner worked somewhat on certain stains,but the only thing that worked for me on just about all stains was standing the polyurethane fender in a 20L /5gal. bucket,filling pail with household bleach & letting it soak for a few hours.
That worked well,but it does eat into the poly & leave a slightly sticky surface. I believe removing this surface is the only way to get real deep stains out.
Waxing the fender a couple of times puts a smooth film back & seals the pores-same principle as waxing the hull or car. Dirt doesn't stick as well to a waxed surface.
Of course,the fender will get dirty again from normal,just like a new one does over time. It's an esthetics thing-fenders will get dirty from use-that is part of their job. If that bothers you,clean them or cover them-your choice
At $50 a pop for polyform F3's,or equivalent,I don't throw them out.

I even repair punctured ones using vinyl glue, as sold for repair of vinyl pools,etc. Same for poly "balloon" floats-anything vinyl.

Merry Christmas/ Seasons Greetings

Len
Old 23-12-2017, 01:26   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
If store-bought fender covers have prices that bring tears to your eyes, run down to the nearest op-shop and buy a few old pairs of sweat pants. Hack off the legs at appropriate lengths for your fenders, poke some holes (or go fancy with eyelets) and thread some small stuff through the holes to gather the ends et voila, very cheap fender covers!

Jim
Seems like good advice ,,, once I find out what an “ op-shop “ and “ sweat pants “ are I might give it a try !!
Old 23-12-2017, 01:31   #30

Thanks again one and all , thinks I should be looking at covering them ,( cheaply )

Tags
fender