Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-12-2020, 09:48   #16

Re: Feedback on my Packing List

My brother-in-law used to spend months at sea. He always packed an emergency tooth repair kit.

Good luck and enjoy the adventure.
Hewson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2020, 12:15   #17

Boat: 1983 Nauticat 43, Hull 16

As someone who has had to use DAN, my advice is: get a subscription. We’ve decided that all guest onboard will need to get it also.

Take an epirb and mount it somplace dry, and secure near the companionway, get another for the ditch bag, and attach the PLB to your PFD. Can you tell I like to have redundant safety? 😁
dkroar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2020, 13:00   #18

Boat: Brewer 44' Steel

Re Engine Manuals Don't forget the Shop Manual that has all the specs like the torque settings, valve gaps etc. A good mechanic in nowhere still needs the specs from the shop manual for the engine in question.
Re First Aid, you never mentioned an antibiotic cream/salve like Bacitracin or some other triple antibiotic cram that is a huge omission especially in the tropics where everything gets infected.
Old 17-12-2020, 15:17   #19

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Fwiw, we have always used Betadine or Povidone to sterilize bites and cuts, and it has worked very well. Only one infection in all our years of cruising, and that one was one we didn't get to for an hour or so, a fly walked across a scratch, while we were hiking ashore, and didn't disinfect it till we got back to the boat.

Kelsey, you asked about iodine vs. chlorine vs. bromine for sterilizing water. Tough question, I don't know the actual chemistry involved, but, we always used chlorine bleach (without added scent), and a charcoal filter to remove it from drinking and cooking water. Got amoebas in Mexico, but that was probably from street food, and metronizadole (Flagyl) cured us.

Ann
Old 17-12-2020, 15:38   #20

Boat: Jeanneau 41 DS

First aid kit needs more stuff...

Zpack, Cipro, Cephalexin antiobiotics....explain why to your doctor and get script
Suture or staple instrument...wound stapler may be available on the net. Worse case use small fish hooks and a line. May have to bite a silver bullet unless you can get syringe, lidocaine, and needle.
Some type of splinting material...and ace wrap in case break wrist

Best.

Abe
sailingabe41ds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2020, 17:32   #21

Boat: Freedom 28 Cat Ketch

DeOxit is magic for wonky electrical connections, and spare USB-Lightning (Apple) or USB-Mini cables. Pack them so they don’t oxidize. Lightning cables die on salt air at an alarming rate.
Jdeuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2020, 17:53   #22

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46
Feedback on my Packing List

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdeuel View Post
DeOxit is magic for wonky electrical connections, and spare USB-Lightning (Apple) or USB-Mini cables. Pack them so they don’t oxidize. Lightning cables die on salt air at an alarming rate.

Oh my yes. All these cables die aboard at an alarming rate.

Spare batteries. Yes.

And personal entertainment other that boat work!

Books. Movies. Musical instrument(s).
Something other than a phone or laptop perhaps. For variety.
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2020, 19:00   #23

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Hey, what a great plan!

We live aboard our 31-footer all summer.

Not sure if you need a spare heat exchanger on a new engine, just service the one you have at least annually, more if you're using a lot of engine zincs.
Epoxy putty has saved me a few times.
We have a small rechargeable vacuum on board that gets a fair amount of use.
Spare recharge kits for your PFD.
We keep a small torque wrench and a very large bolt cutter.
We used to carry a lot of maintence books, but they're heavy and take a lot of shelf space on our 31-footer. We now download books and manuals on our laptop and a spare on the tablet.
UV-resistant zip ties if you're heading heading south.
A few standing rigging repair devices (Sta-Lok or something like that).
Did you include a jerry can for spare fuel that you can lash on deck?
Channel-lock pliers in two sizes (we use these more than vice-grips).
Spare fresh water pump.
Spare electric bilge pump and at least one spare float switch.
Spare prop and engine zincs (some engines use a lot of zincs, some don't).
Fender board if you're tied to dirty pilings.
Do you need flares in the Bahamas? Not sure, but we only carry the new Orion strobe and no flares.
Small door mat.
Do you plan to tow or carry a dinghy? If so, hypalon or pvc repair kit and outboard parts.
Small portable AM/FM radio.
Small oil pump for changing oil.
Dielectric grease for all electrical connections.
Thread sealant for engine parts.
Spare raw water pump gaskets.
Jumper cables (also good for lightning protection, maybe).
Rubber hammer (preferrably the ones with the black/white heads).
At least one spare anchor line.
Shorty wet suit. A full wet suit with hood can be useful where there are a lot of sea nettles, like in the Chesapeake.
Long dock lines.
Floating boat hook or bring a spare.
Quart of bottom paint for touch-up if you have to do a short haul-out for maintenance.
Navionics or other nav program for your phone to back-up your chart plotter - cheaper than carrying a lot of expensive paper charts and they have updates.
We carry a spare prop - our old one before we gtt a new engine. It's not the correct pitch, but would get us to port if we bend or broke a prop.
Cable and stout, waterproof padlock for the dinghy and motor.
If you want to protect that new engine, install a fireport on the engine cover and buy a good gas fire extinguisher that won't damage the engine if you use it.
One really bright big flashlite. We like the kind that lets you focus or expand the beam.
If you can get an injector rebuild kit for your injectors, carry one.
Stuffing box wrenches.
Stiff brush for scrubbing bottom.
Maybe skip the long line for overboard self-rescue. Probably won't help. Better to keep very short tethers on you harness so you can't go over the lifelines and always stay clipped in when you leave the cockpit.
Spare lenses and bulbs for your nav lights.
Small hacksaw.
BP Blaster penetrating oil.
Teflon thread tape.
Small bottle of bleach for washing dishes in cold water.
Sail repair tape.
Set of very small screw drivers.
Metric and SAE allen keys.
Long claw grabber for retrieving small parts from otherwise unaccessible places.
Loktite PL marine fast cure sealant.
Water filter and 50' hose with valve for filling your fresh water tanks.
jen1722terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2020, 05:31   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelseyB View Post
I have a radar, so I assumed I didn't need the reflector haha. And yea I'm getting super excited about it
You have AIS so my comment was moot... As a (mostly) solo sailor, you just need to ensure a way of other boats' seeing you. Plus, it's just fun to hail other boats at sea and speak to the watch officer, see what recent weather info they have, stuff like that.
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2020, 05:37   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholybee View Post
I'm sure many will disagree with this. You can go many days without food. But you can't go very long without water. What's more, if you eat, you need more water. So I save the space in my ditch bag, I carry no food, and more water. Also, fresh water floats. A 5 gallon jug of water on deck can be thrown over with the life raft, should that need arise.
No argument here, Wholybee. I've actually deliberately fasted for weeks while in India and have a friend who did a health fast for 21 days. Water, though? The absolute longest the human body can go without water is 3-5 days depending on the conditions (tropics means shorter time, of course). I've always put more water in my ditch bag than "food" (Cliff Bars).
Old 18-12-2020, 05:42   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewson View Post
My brother-in-law used to spend months at sea. He always packed an emergency tooth repair kit.
This is an amazing suggestion. I don't even know what an emergency tooth repair kit is or how one would go about finding one... but Kelsey will be coastal mostly and Bahamas has a civilization, with dentists, just like the coastal US, so probably not necessary this trip...?
Old 18-12-2020, 05:51   #27

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

So as always, I’m a contrarian. LOL

This list is adequate (with additions suggested by others) for a circumnavigation of the Earth.

You’re going down the ICW no further than Florida and probably stopping before.

Despite the dreams of it being an epic journey, it’s (and I’m not trying to be a jerk or rain on the dreams) an aquatic drive down route 95.

By this I mean you can stop at any time to pick anything on the list up if you need it.

Want to see my list when I delivered my old boat from the keys to Maine using the ICW? Keep in mind this list is because I didn’t know what problems I’d run into with a new to me boat:

1 complete tools
2 oil and filters
3 handheld vhf and gps just in case
4 my favorite nav software on a laptop
5 mobile hotspot
6 clothes
7 food

It’s a lot like driving 95. You definitely don’t need all that stuff.

I feel like someone is in your ear with a lot of good knowledge about seamanship, but they’re forgetting your actual planned trip.

PS: please don’t take my post the wrong way. I’m just a little colorful when writing. Your trip is awesome. But I think you should just go. Snow has already hit up there. Prep time is over. Work it all out as you go.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2020, 06:14   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
So as always, I’m a contrarian. LOL

This list is adequate (with additions suggested by others) for a circumnavigation of the Earth.

You’re going down the ICW no further than Florida and probably stopping before.

Despite the dreams of it being an epic journey, it’s (and I’m not trying to be a jerk or rain on the dreams) an aquatic drive down route 95.

By this I mean you can stop at any time to pick anything on the list up if you need it.

Want to see my list when I delivered my old boat from the keys to Maine using the ICW? Keep in mind this list is because I didn’t know what problems I’d run into with a new to me boat:

1 complete tools
2 oil and filters
3 handheld vhf and gps just in case
4 my favorite nav software on a laptop
5 mobile hotspot
6 clothes
7 food

It’s a lot like driving 95. You definitely don’t need all that stuff.

I feel like someone is in your ear with a lot of good knowledge about seamanship, but they’re forgetting your actual planned trip.

PS: please don’t take my post the wrong way. I’m just a little colorful when writing. Your trip is awesome. But I think you should just go. Snow has already hit up there. Prep time is over. Work it all out as you go.
Funny, Chotu,

I was thinking the same thing this morning.

I think a bit of this is her mum and dad wanting her to be safe.

Kelsey understands, I'm sure - just check her response to the liferaft suggestion. Even the ditchbag discussion might be too much, but she can discern what will be useful this trip and what might be too much.

I also agree with you. Get going as soon as you can, Kelse!

Warmly,
LittleWing77
Old 18-12-2020, 07:34   #29

Boat: 21' trailer sailor & 8' sailing dinghy

+1 for PB Blaster penetrating oil

I also have an electronic flare and day signal flag instead of pyrotechnics. I have day shapes too but have yet to deploy them.

Littlewing77, this is for you!

Parents 'is gonna' worry as parents do, my youngest is about your age. Let them buy you a gadget or two and talk to or text them before their bedtime when appropriate. Go Team Kelsey!

When I have a complicated list, I stick it into a spreadsheet and add columns for notes or check boxes like if I still need to buy it , if it is packed, and if it is stowed. You could even add 'where stowed' (port v-berth, starboard lazzarette) if you like.
Old 18-12-2020, 10:36   #30
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Noord Nederland Seahawk 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen1722terry View Post
Hey, what a great plan!

We live aboard our 31-footer all summer.

We have a small rechargeable vacuum on board that gets a fair amount of use.
Spare recharge kits for your PFD.
We used to carry a lot of maintence books, but they're heavy and take a lot of shelf space on our 31-footer. We now download books and manuals on our laptop and a spare on the tablet.
Did you include a jerry can for spare fuel that you can lash on deck?
Do you plan to tow or carry a dinghy? If so, hypalon or pvc repair kit and outboard parts.
Small portable AM/FM radio.
Small oil pump for changing oil.
Jumper cables (also good for lightning protection, maybe).
Shorty wet suit. A full wet suit with hood can be useful where there are a lot of sea nettles, like in the Chesapeake.
Navionics or other nav program for your phone to back-up your chart plotter - cheaper than carrying a lot of expensive paper charts and they have updates.
We carry a spare prop - our old one before we gtt a new engine. It's not the correct pitch, but would get us to port if we bend or broke a prop.
Stuffing box wrenches.
Maybe skip the long line for overboard self-rescue. Probably won't help. Better to keep very short tethers on you harness so you can't go over the lifelines and always stay clipped in when you leave the cockpit.
Spare lenses and bulbs for your nav lights.
This was an excellent list thank you - comments on the above sections:

Mini shop vac is 100% on the list
I'm bringing traditional PFDs and not inflatable ones, so no recharge canisters necessary
Good point on the maintenance books - luckily I actually don't have all that many, the boat is pretty simple so my biggest "books" are the engine manuals, and I'm more comfy with the paper than relying on my laptop being charged haha. But a great idea for someone else.
I've got jerry cans - I just attached some dogcatcher netting specifically for them and I'll be getting shock cords as well
I have a Fusion stereo that gets radio, so I probably won't get a standalone radio, but otherwise I would
I've got one of those oil pumps that goes onto the end of a drill so I'm all set on that
I have a full wetsuit from my dinghy days so that's definitely coming along
I'm going to get one of the chart apps, but I like to lay out the big charts and see more visually where I'm headed and make some distance calculations that way, just a personal preference despite their cost (ugh)
The spare prop is an interesting one haha. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that if I bend my prop on the ICW, I will probably be calling TowBoat US rather than trying to fix it right there. And, my old one from the old engine goes the other direction...
The long line for overboard self rescue would be my backup of all backups, I'd already be wearing a harness and clipped in at the point when I decide I need to deploy that, and I hope I never feel the need to. It will probably just be a spare line more than anything.
Spare lenses and bulbs for nav lights is tricky because they're LED and all one watertight unit - however, if they go out for some reason (despite being brand new) when I really need a nav light, I'm carrying spare clip-on ones that I'll also use for my dinghy
KelseyB is offline   Reply With Quote