Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2019, 07:47   #16

Boat: A185F, Mystic 30’ Cutter
Re: Fast roller for my new 30’ cutter?

Or rather this

https://inflatableboatsofflorida.com...96#description
NorthernMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 13:19   #17

Boat: Farr 1020

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernMac View Post
Minus trial by fire, any other way to verify the material?
Google the question.
MEKP (epoxy thinner) on a trial spot will show you, or sand a spot, lightly.

But I see someone has already looked up the model reference in this case

Roger
Djarraluda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 13:33   #18

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan View Post
N...a deep-V high-pressure air keel (a very different hull shape than any other air keel and different from the original air keel which is not a high-pressure air keel)….
Stephan, I think it would be fair to point out that the active V keel only extends 50% of the way back from the bow. After that there is no floor stiffener and under power the back half of the boat bends badly and rides poorly. Terrible design.
Old 04-11-2019, 15:30   #19

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5

Quote:
Hey guys,

I just got a 30’ cutter after survey and sea trials, thinking it would be a good idea for a tender for it.

I’d like something I could store in the dead space in the rear of the boat below deck for when it’s not going to be in use for a while.

Found a CFR310 zodiac, this is the fast roller, 10’ but rolls up to 3x1.5’
Found a like new 2002 model for $500

https://www.defender.com/inflatables...ac/cadetfr.htm

Thanks
The Zodiac FastRoller is a great tender - almost as good a ride as a RIB (that high-pressure floor is almost like a plank - great design, and the keel give quite a good ride), but you can stow it easily.

We have two of them. The first one is around 20 years old (so older than the one you are looking at), the second 7 years old. They are both PVC, and the seams are welded so no issues re any glue letting go, also no issues re UV degradation (the older one is in Australia, the newer one in the Med).

Our attitude was that when/if they finally wear out, we can buy a new one for the saving over a Hypalon version.

As to the one you are being offered - seems OK, but without inspecting, that's about as much as anyone could tell you.

I hope that helps your decision.
David B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 15:44   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
I have experience with this type of dingy. I have a Zodiac Fast Roller 3.6. It is actually called Cadet Active-V Fast Roller (CFR360). It has an inflatable Keel built into the air deck so you don't have to inflate them separately. It was made in 2009. I've used it moderately, cruising only a few months of each year.

Mine is PVC. I believe they are all PVC.

Here are the problems I have had (plenty).
  1. Lack of longitudinal rigidity. The keel and floor do not make the boat stiff enough. Its shape distorts badly when power is applied. I complained to Zodiac. They said use more air pressure, which was not really possible.
  2. All the glued-on parts, and some of the heat sealed seams and parts, have failed. Everything has fallen off. I am constantly gluing things back on.
  3. Mine has a stupid bow storage compartment built into the bow area of the tube which is useless and breaks. Without it you cannot inflate the boat.
  4. The transom came unglued and leaks. I've been fighting that for years now with badly executed attempts at regluing.
  5. The PVC has become badly stained and cannot be cleaned.
  6. I just had to replace the air deck which cost over $700
  7. The boat does not keep water out or air in.

On the positive side:
  1. It is light
  2. It folds up and can be stored below
  3. I've become an expert at repairing PVC dingys

We use it with Merc 15hp 2-stroke

New-----------------------------------------Now
We have the 340 and the 360. rigid as. I suggest you don't have the high-pressure pump. When that floor is pumped up correctly, you can suspend it at either end and sit in the middle - almost like a plank. If your boat is flexing as you describe, that is probably why the transom has been stressed and become detached. We also use a 15HP on our 360 by the way - planes beautifully with two, and as long as another two are not heavyweights, will plane with 4 on board. No detachments at all.
Ours came with a pressure gauge to ensure the floor is pressurised correctly. The manual pump can do the floor but it takes a while. We bought a Bravo 12V pump for each of our boats - does the whole boat in just a couple of minutes, and turns off when the correct pressure is reached for tubes and floor.

Both Zodiacs are great, and neither have any issues.
Old 04-11-2019, 16:48   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by David B View Post
We have the 340 and the 360. rigid as. I suggest you don't have the high-pressure pump. When that floor is pumped up correctly, you can suspend it at either end and sit in the middle - almost like a plank. If your boat is flexing as you describe, that is probably why the transom has been stressed and become detached. We also use a 15HP on our 360 by the way - planes beautifully with two, and as long as another two are not heavyweights, will plane with 4 on board. No detachments at all.
Ours came with a pressure gauge to ensure the floor is pressurised correctly. The manual pump can do the floor but it takes a while. We bought a Bravo 12V pump for each of our boats - does the whole boat in just a couple of minutes, and turns off when the correct pressure is reached for tubes and floor.

Both Zodiacs are great, and neither have any issues.

Thanks!

So...think I have a plan, I got the brand new (months old and with extended warranty) merc 9.9 for $1800, seemed like a pretty good deal and it’s about the size of a engine I want for a boat. Only problem is MAN it’s little bit of a pain to get stowed beneath deck.

Think the “most correct answer” is the Achilles LSR 310
https://www.inflatableboats.net/achi...lsr-310e-2019/

But I want a dink for the long ICW trip, thinking I might pull the trigger on that zodiac, as it looks basically new, for $350, worse case I’ll get a year out of it after which it gets a trip do the dumpster and I’ll order that Achilles

Thoughts?
Old 04-11-2019, 17:19   #22

Quote:
Thanks!

So...think I have a plan, I got the brand new (months old and with extended warranty) merc 9.9 for $1800, seemed like a pretty good deal and it’s about the size of a engine I want for a boat. Only problem is MAN it’s little bit of a pain to get stowed beneath deck.

Think the “most correct answer” is the Achilles LSR 310
https://www.inflatableboats.net/achi...lsr-310e-2019/

But I want a dink for the long ICW trip, thinking I might pull the trigger on that zodiac, as it looks basically new, for $350, worse case I’ll get a year out of it after which it gets a trip do the dumpster and I’ll order that Achilles

Thoughts?
Hard to see how you could go wrong for that price!
Old 04-11-2019, 19:53   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by David B View Post
Hard to see how you could go wrong for that price!

Price wise on the zodiac or engine or?

Also weight and balance wise, figure the 9.9 is 90lbs, boat is 90lbs, 6G fuel tank 6lbs/gal x 6 = 36lbs + 3lbs container

So ball park, 220lbs, if that’s 15’ aft of my mast on a 30’ cutter, would that be too much aft weight to be rocking full time?
Old 04-11-2019, 22:27   #24

Quote:
Price wise on the zodiac or engine or?

Also weight and balance wise, figure the 9.9 is 90lbs, boat is 90lbs, 6G fuel tank 6lbs/gal x 6 = 36lbs + 3lbs container

So ball park, 220lbs, if that’s 15’ aft of my mast on a 30’ cutter, would that be too much aft weight to be rocking full time?
$350 for the Zodiac

Tags
cutter