Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-09-2012, 19:10   #31
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Report on Farallones Tragedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
The one for the Spinlock works well.
mmmm . . . most people I know in actual practice find the spinlock thigh straps to be a major PITA and they often tuck them up and don't put them on. The Whole crew of Ramblier had Spinlock style straps and not one was actually using them. You need something that is easy and convenient enough for people to actually use. Some people have enough interest and/or discipline to actually use the spinlock thigh straps but most seem to need something simpler to actually go to the effort of using them in the real world.

The spinlock straps also seem to have a potential weak point in the plastic para-clips. Those are not designed for any sort of shock loads. ISO has been very slow at issuing any sort of specs for crotch straps but I would guess when they do issue them that these para-clips will not be allowed (you would very certainty NEVER see them on a loaded part of a climbing or window washing harness).
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 19:37   #32
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Thigh straps: I think these were invented by someone who said "damn, that crotch strap is going to hurt!" but the bottom line is that one simple crotch strap, with one high quality clip (not one designed to hold a belt on your pants) works quite well enough. You just shove the strap off center to your, ah, windward side, give it an inch of slack, and forget about it.

Shock loads? No really, I sincerely hope there's never going to be a shock load on my crotch strap, I expect it only is there to resist the bouyancy pull of my PFD. Unless someone sends one of those fancy we-can-snatch-em-up-on-a-C130-skyhook rescues for me, I really don't expect any shock load on that strap. (Memo, enquire for vacancies at Venetian Boys' Choir.)
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 19:47   #33
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Thigh straps: I think these were invented by someone who said "damn, that crotch strap is going to hurt!" but the bottom line is that one simple crotch strap, with one high quality clip (not one designed to hold a belt on your pants) works quite well enough. You just shove the strap off center to your, ah, windward side, give it an inch of slack, and forget about it.

agreed

Shock loads? No really, I sincerely hope there's never going to be a shock load on my crotch strap, I expect it only is there to resist the bouyancy pull of my PFD. Unless someone sends one of those fancy we-can-snatch-em-up-on-a-C130-skyhook rescues for me, I really don't expect any shock load on that strap. (Memo, enquire for vacancies at Venetian Boys' Choir.)

well, when you fall over the side while doing 7 kts and snatch up on the tether you are unfortunately going to have a little snatch load. The current spec for harnesses and tethers are designed to withstand a 2m fall (with a heavy individual) but the para-clips come no-where near that.
Old 03-09-2012, 20:03   #34
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: Farallones Accident/Fatalities - Final Report

"Needless to say I will be buying crotch straps for all....... "
No really, Bill. All you need is some velcro and have the crew stop shaving south of the border. <VBG>

Evans, I see your point but sincerely hope my tether will always keep me ON the boat, if I can get overboard while wearing it perhaps the pain from a strap will help ensure a proper adrenalin release. My strap actually loops over the "belt" of the harness, the clip is just there for convenience. I could probably re-engineer that and use a small carabiner instead, clipping over the belt, and just using a slide of some kind to adjust the slack.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 16:19   #35
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
I continue to learn from the collective knowledge of the group..

First I have pondered alternatives to store-bought straps.... But the thought of requiring all guests to wear reinforced thongs that connected to the PFD scared the hell out of me.

Second, unfortunately the one crotch strap I do own has a plastic clip! Never thought of the shock loading issue! Since I am the one to go on deck, I am going to alter the strap to eliminate or reinforce the plastic clip.

Thanks to everyone for all your inputs!

Your avid student

Bill
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2012, 13:04   #36
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Farallones Accident/Fatalities - Final Report

In case anyone is looking for education/training material in order to follow-up/implement the report recommendations . . . . there is a free National Weather service on-line seminar specifically on Shallow Water Wave behavior at: http://www.meted.ucar.edu/marine/SWW/

This seminar brings appendix D alive in a professionally constructed interactive seminar, and is more complete and 'sophisticated' than appendix D was able to be, including aspects of wave orientation, refraction, current, etc. to explain shallow water wave behavior.

There are also several other more advanced wave seminars, and tons of weather training, available on MetEd (all FREE!)