Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-11-2013, 14:19   #16

Boat: Watkins Sea Wolf 25
Re: Family of 6 looking to sail

My husband likes to think we could buy a project boat and save a lot of money, but honestly...We live in Manhattan, have three kids and both work demanding, full-time jobs. Not. Gonna. Happen. Where the heck would we put a boat that would be easy to get to? And what gazillionaire is gonna' help us pay the Manhattan/Bronx mooring fees? And in what wee hours of the morning would we even have time to do the work? I share his enthusiasm for those kinds of projects, but it's just not realistic for us. We'd be better off buying a boat in close-to-cruising shape and paying a yard to do any additional big jobs. You're lucky you live where you live.

The Casey book you mention sounds like a winner; might have to pick that up myself.
Old 25-11-2013, 14:19   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
You do not state whether you know how to sail or whether you have ever sailed. If you do not know how to sail I would suggest you learn and that the kids learn. I do not know anything re Oklahoma but I'm sure there must be lakes there where you and the kids can take some sailing lessons. Learning to sail is not like learning to drive. It's a bit more complicated and totally weather dependent. Being handy helps a lot re boat maintenance but it's surprising how different it is from house renovations.

Four kids on a boat will be a handful, especially as they get a bit older and demand privacy. I have seen boats with 3 kids aboard but they were usually over 40 feet. As a trial run, try living one week in your kitchen and family room and one bathroom. That's what living in a boat tied to a dock is like. Cruising is different. It's a great life for a young family but few jump in at the deep end.

If the family is in agreement with this venture get the biggest boat you can afford. No one here can really advise you regarding finances. It's a very personal matter and dependent on your lifestyle.

I know I would have loved it if my father had done what you propose to do when I was 12. My three siblings would have hated it.
I would really like a 50 footer or so....some have said that that is too much for a marina however. Even on the ball some say too large. Thoughts?

And you are correct with little sailing experience, I have read where some just do it anyways and learn on the way. I guess motoring is always an option. Read quite a bit on different sailing techniques. Navigation is something that I really am working to learn about. I have a lot of respect for those who are experienced sailors and I know that experience does not come easy. Advice taken on trial runs and local sailing.
elireloaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2013, 14:21   #18
cruiser

Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedFeather View Post
My husband likes to think we could buy a project boat and save a lot of money, but honestly...We live in Manhattan, have three kids and both work demanding, full-time jobs. Not. Gonna. Happen. Where the heck would we put a boat that would be easy to get to? And what gazillionaire is gonna' help us pay the Manhattan/Bronx mooring fees? And in what wee hours of the morning would we even have time to do the work? I share his enthusiasm for those kinds of projects, but it's just not realistic for us. We'd be better off buying a boat in close-to-cruising shape and paying a yard to do any additional big jobs. You're lucky you live where you live.

The Casey book you mention sounds like a winner; might have to pick that up myself.
You can put it on a mooring ball at 79th street boat basin.
scoobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2013, 14:28   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedFeather View Post

Well, encouragement from us. I hope it works out well for you all because we are experiencing the same thoughts and issues. We are sure going to try anyways. I don't want to be stuck in the 9-5 for the rest of my life, get to the end then live with the regrets of missed opportunities.

We have actually already started to downsize in preparation. I can't say enough about how great it is already to be living with less stuff.

I read some reviews on the repair book that say it includes bits from "this old boat" book.
Old 25-11-2013, 15:52   #20

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by elireloaded View Post
I would really like a 50 footer or so....some have said that that is too much for a marina however. Even on the ball some say too large. Thoughts?

And you are correct with little sailing experience, I have read where some just do it anyways and learn on the way. I guess motoring is always an option. Read quite a bit on different sailing techniques. Navigation is something that I really am working to learn about. I have a lot of respect for those who are experienced sailors and I know that experience does not come easy. Advice taken on trial runs and local sailing.
The upkeep of a 50 foot boat is at least twice as much as a 40 foot boat (my estimate, if someone has stats please chime in). Everything is bigger, lines, rigging, ground tackle, sails, etc., etc. Bottom paint costs $200 a gallon. The surface area of a 50 footer is much greater than that of a 40 footer. I went from a 36 to a 39 and I can feel the difference when I clean and paint the bottom. And try waxing the topsides. Just one example.

Motoring is an option but diesel's close to $5 a gallon and you'll use maybe 2 gallons an hour (to go 7 miles) in a 50 footer. The videos on youtube usually show palm trees and sandy beaches and we all love watching those but there is another side to cruising. I am presenting the other side.

As for setting out without any experience, that can be done. I know of one inexperienced person in Toronto who set out in a 32 footer and sailed around the world. But he did it on his own, and ,as you put it, he learned on the way.

You seem determined to go cruising. I can understand that yearning. I wish you well but don't let the palm trees cloud your vision.
Old 25-11-2013, 16:11   #21

Family of five here, but we have all boys so they count extra!

So I blogged a few months ago about family boat buying
http://sailingwithkids.net/2013/03/2...with-children/

The bottom line is, unless you are independently wealthy, you are looking at a 70's/80's era boat that's been recently refitted. The four kids is an interesting challenge. We solved it be deciding that they didn't really need their own cabin, just their own space, which we translated into pilot berths. But we are only traveling for a year, so in your situation, you are probably looking at cabins.

This will drive your boat search. Cabins.

If your kids are sharing, you want at least a three cabin boat. If you are not offshore, you can go for a production brand with big interior and probably around 42-50 feet. Costs rise exponentially with length, so you want the smallest boat you can find that you can survive as a family in! Something that has a nice v berth for am and pa and then twin cabins aft. That's a common layout.

Regarding experience, if you have the time and the money, I would highly encourage doing a charter, or two. Spending a week on someone else's boat is invaluable experience to plan for what kind of boat you might want.

http://sailingwithkids.net/2013/11/2...re-worth-2600/
Don't forget safety gear!
Old 25-11-2013, 16:13   #22
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
The upkeep of a 50 foot boat is at least twice as much as a 40 foot boat (my estimate, if someone has stats please chime in). Everything is bigger, lines, rigging, ground tackle, sails, etc., etc. Bottom paint costs $200 a gallon. The surface area of a 50 footer is much greater than that of a 40 footer.
I cannot think twice is accurate.
I am in the upper 40's. rigging will still be 3/8" lines will be only a bit larger...
Until you get past 60' its all the same from my size to 60something.
Once you get to 65' then things get odd. 1/2" anchor chain, 1" halyards
3/4 rigging... Custom made stuff, with massive prices...
I think she will find her price range limits her to 40's
There are 3 stateroom 40's
Old 25-11-2013, 16:13   #23

Well put.

Yes, I would rather have the truth of it all. Still, Sailing seems to be mostly inexpensive and one of the few (mostly) free (freedom not expenses) things that a person can do.
Old 25-11-2013, 16:16   #24
cruiser

Oh. And you can learn to sail after you buy it.
You MUST learn to dock before purchase.
Docking without thrusters, is hard. Or impossible.
Btw backing a sailboat is an aquired skill....
Old 25-11-2013, 16:17   #25
cruiser

Quote:
Well put.

Yes, I would rather have the truth of it all. Still, Sailing seems to be mostly inexpensive and one of the few (mostly) free (freedom not expenses) things that a person can do.
Sailing can be very expensive.
Old 25-11-2013, 16:22   #26

There is a blog... Hobosailer that got me started on this whole idea. They sail for almost nothing. But. I realize that a 30' does not equal a 46'. One idea we had was to invest in a 46' Hunter 3 cabin and then liveaboard and work for awhile. This may be unrealistic. Good input everyone, this all helps quite a bit...
Old 25-11-2013, 16:23   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobert View Post
Sailing can be very expensive.
Does docking a ski boat count as experience?
Old 25-11-2013, 16:25   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
I've just begun my search myself, and from what I have seen Scoobert is right, the money they have to spend is limiting them a smaller boat as I assume the 80k is pretty much a limit as in total. Is there a need for a sailable, seaworthy vessel, or is it to be a floating apartment?
Are 60+ seaworthy boats really out there for 80K, including what you have to spend after you have bought the boat?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2013, 16:38   #29

I think 46' is where we are at, they can be had in our price range. Agreed that this would be the limit. I like the 2/3 rule. I suppose one could finance with a large down. It's my understanding that 20% is enough for most banks. Our credit is great. We would exceede that, keep some in backup, and save while living aboard. Until paid off. Just all thoughts, creative. Other option is to buy cheep and repair. Something that is not great but would get us by for what we are wanting.
Old 25-11-2013, 16:49   #30

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
I think 46' is where we are at, they can be had in our price range. Agreed that this would be the limit. I like the 2/3 rule. I suppose one could finance with a large down. It's my understanding that 20% is enough for most banks. Our credit is great. We would exceede that, keep some in backup, and save while living aboard. Until paid off. Just all thoughts, creative. Other option is to buy cheep and repair. Something that is not great but would get us by for what we are wanting.
Have you checked boat loans? Heard it's hard for older boat especially if you intend to sail away.

Tags
family, sail