Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2010, 14:16   #61

Boat: temporarily boatless...
I was always a believer in $20 sunglasses. For reasons that I really can't remember, I decided about a year ago to splurge. Got a pair of Oakley Half Jacket in Deep Blue. Sorry, but there is no comparison, just simply none. I tried them side-by-side. I will never wear cheap sunglasses again.

BTW, I paid $130 for them at a popular online auction site...
pete33458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 15:44   #62

Boat: Cape Dory 28, hull 317, Kittiwake
I know that I've lost a few pair of cheap sunglasses over the last few years, usually after buying them someplace I wasn't planning on being. On the other hand, a pair of Vaurnets (sp?) that I was lucky enough to purchase wholesale in 1982 (28 yrs ago!) is currently sitting under the dodger waiting to go for a walk!
KittiwakeCD28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 20:05   #63

Boat: Catalina 22 - La Maestra
I use both

I have $300 Mauis, $150 Snakes and $30 Wally Worlds. Definitely would not want anything less expensive.

Generally one of the higher priced ones are used anytime I need quality protection, but the Wally Worlds go on if I think there is a chance of salt spray or impromptu jumps in the drink while having toddies.

I have worked with Ophthalmologists for years and spent a lot of time at hundreds of trade shows with the manufacturers. I can tell you that there is a significant difference in the quality of the optics and coatings, just like there is in a $20 pair of Tasco binoculars and a $300 dollar pair of Nikons.

Just as mentioned earlier, eye strain from distortions in the lower quality lenses is the bigger concern, not the amount of uv blocked.

Not sure how much markup there is by the manufacturer, but I was able to buy some Mauis direct at cost and the markup is about 100% on that particular pair. Of course, the markup is probably similar, percentage wise, on the cheapos too. That should say even more about the quality!

btw, I had a pair of Mauis, that I broke the earpiece on several times which they replaced for free (only paid shipping) and my dog ate the lens one time which cost me $60 to replace. Short of losing them, they are a good investment.

Both have their place, but good glasses are worth more, Even the $300 pair is worth more the the $150 pair in terms of quality materials. At one point I had a problem with the coating on the $150 pair, which I never had with the Mauis.

Finally a subject I can pipe in on intelligently!!!
Old 12-07-2010, 21:04   #64

Unlike Maxingout Dr. Dave who is an eye surgeon, I am an Optometrist. After spending four years postgraduate doctorate in optometry much which is physical, geometric and physiologic optics, I have a test for all of you that care to see well.
Next time you are giving or attending a lecture, put you sunnies in front of the lens of the projector. Does the image on the screen get distorted, doubled, smeared, or is the image just darker but still clear?
You need to be sure to center the lens and not tilt it so that you are not inducing too many aberrations.
I don't find too many sun lenses that will create a decent image that retail for less than $80 to $100.
FWIW, I wear Rx Oakley. What can I say I do like clear vision.
As long as you are OK with less than optimal acuity, our FDA requires all sunglasses to have a certain level of UV absorption, so no worries there.
Dr. Greg
Old 13-07-2010, 01:56   #65
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Rather than buying expensive sunnies, you could just take a hundred dollar note (if there is such a thing) with you on every trip, and keep it tucked behind your ear. If it stays in place, great, bring it along next time. If it blows overboard, not to worry, just get another hundred dollar note to tuck behind your ear next time.
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2010, 04:54   #66

Boat: Camano Troll
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8trn View Post
............. I have a test for all of you that care to see well.
Next time you are giving or attending a lecture, put you sunnies in front of the lens of the projector. Does the image on the screen get distorted, doubled, smeared, or is the image just darker but still clear?
What if your prescription bifocals distort the image and the people at Pearle Vision tell you it's supposed to be that way, that you will only see clearly if you're looking through the exact center of the glasses?
Old 13-07-2010, 13:30   #67

I used to be of the opinion that expensive sunglasses were a waste of money. And maybe for some people it is. However, I have gone thru dozens and dozens of sunglasses trying to find something that didn't give me a horrible headache within 10 minutes of putting them on.

Then I found the wrap around Oakley's. Ugly as can be but comfortable. Then someone introduced me to Maui Jims and it was love at first feel.

I now wear a pair of titanium maui jim's and no one will ever convince me that they are not worth whatever price I paid for them... They are so light I often forget that I have them on. My vision still sucks but at least I don't have a nasty headache to go along with it.
Justme01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2010, 03:16   #68

Hi all,

I am a professional Driving Instructor and therefore when not sailing I tend to be in a car all day, therefore things like sunglasses and comfort are my number one priority.

The difference between good quality sunglasses and the cheapies that are about is like making a comparison between having a meal in a McDonalds or a top class restaurant. Both give you food, one gives you heartburn and the other a feeling of contentment.

To begin with, the middle of the range glasses feel OK, but by the end of the day the eye strain begins to take its toll.

For what it's worth, my advice, don't skimp on the price or the quality.

KenM
Get-a-Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2010, 03:44   #69
CLOD

Boat: none
Just heard on the news that the Wall Street did a studyand says after $70 you just paying for a brand's name.
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2010, 05:00   #70

Ocean Waves...best shades in the world

I'm pretty surprised that nobody's mentioned Ocean Waves Sunglasses.
I've worn them for 10 yrs, lifetime replacement, awesome optics.
I use the cool model that has a bandanna instead of side legs...that way you never break off the legs, and don't feel the "pencil behind the ear" thing.
Bandana
Brogan007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2010, 05:03   #71
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Are Designer Sunglasses Worth the Price? ~ Bret Arends in WSJ
“Maybe not ... most shades are made by the same company ...”

Goto Are Designer Sunglasses Worth the Price? - WSJ.com

Sunglasses Carry Shady UV-Protection Claims, Study Reveals
“... As relayed in the May 2010 issue of the journal Ophthalmic and Physiological Optics, researchers from the University of New South Wales in Sydney found that over 20 percent of the sunglasses made in Europe were falsely labeled, not meeting stated levels of protection for UV, polarization or other requirements ...”

Goto Sunglasses Carry Shady UV-Protection Claims, Study Reveals | LiveScience

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2010, 05:22   #72

Boat: Camano Troll
Quote:
Originally Posted by Get-a-Life View Post
The difference between good quality sunglasses and the cheapies that are about is like making a comparison between having a meal in a McDonalds or a top class restaurant. Both give you food, one gives you heartburn and the other a feeling of contentment.
It's all "poop" the next day.
Old 15-07-2010, 06:30   #73

When I was younger, and didn't have to wear prescription lenses all the time, I used to use smoke tinted safety glasses as my usual sunglasses. They tended to be a bit more expensive than the really cheapo sunglasses, but were MUCH less expensive than the designer glasses. They always provided perfectly clear vision, were very comfortable, wrapped around to provide side protection, were made of polycarbonate which naturally blocks UV rays, and as a bonus they provided OSHA-approved eye protection. They weren't quite the fashion statement that you get with a designer label (though nowadays many of them are quite stylish) but they were always great sunglasses for a very reasonable price.

Now I'm old and have failing vision, so I have to pay the price to get a progressive prescription lens in a sunglass that wraps around enough to provide some side protection.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2010, 06:31   #74

Boat: Tartan 37C "Windgeist"
LMFAO...isnt anything at Worst Marine overpriced?

I buy Maui Jim's at Costco these days, some of the best Sunglasses you can buy IMO. I saw several pairs at $70-$90 and come others around $100. My first pair I did pay $380 about 15 years ago in San Fransisco, but the pair of MJ's I have bought since were at Costco for around $100.

I don't lose my glasses like many people do, which I don't get BTW??? Do you lose other things like your car keys all the time??? Anyway, I have two pair of MJ's, one pair is 10 years old.

Also, Maui Jim's Customer Service is the best out there, just sent mine back to have a nose piece replaced at no cost (except shipping), I ve had lenses replaced before, sometime for free, and once I paid around $40.00, you would be hard pressed to find a company that supports their product better than they do!
Windgeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2010, 06:33   #75

Boat: 1984 Westerly Sealord 39
When I was younger (~15 years ago), I spent $125 on a pair. Sunglass Hut customer service is excellent. I can't tell you how many times they repaired them - everything except the scratched lenses. Now that I'm older, I can't justify spending even $125, much less hundreds of dollars. If the lenses are polarized, they're good enough for me - $25-$50. I don't think I've ever seen lenses that are polarized that don't offer full UV protection.
kevingy is offline   Reply With Quote