Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2020, 09:02   #1

Boat: Bavaria C57
EU Entry: When does the clock start

For those who are in the UK and are perplexed with all the nonsense going on between UK Government and the EU I have a few practical questions.

I understand the new rules post Dec 31 regardless of a deal or not is that we have a rolling road of 90 days in every 180 days to visit the EU visa free.

My first question is when does the "clock" start? When you enter European waters or when you arrive at your European destination port? For example I leave the UK sail down the coast of France, Spain and Portugal then stop at Marbella 12 days later. Does the 90 day clock start at arriving in Marbella or when I entered EU waters and therefore would have used 12 days of my 90 day allowance.

My second question is does your allotted time get used when you are at sea? For example I arrive in Spain then sail non stop for 10 days to Greece. Do the ten days count as part of the 90? If not how do I record the fact I have been at sea?

My third question is if I sail from Spain to a non EU country and check in (say Tunisia) I assume the clock stops. I then leave Tunisia and sail and anchor for the next three months at various European locations but do not go to a Marina, how would the authorities know I have entered a European location to start the clock again?

Can't seem to find anything on the web with these scenarios.

Appreciate your thoughts.

Haddock.
Haddock1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 09:19   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: EU Entry: When does the clock start

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haddock1 View Post
For those who are in the UK and are perplexed with all the nonsense going on between UK Government and the EU I have a few practical questions.

I understand the new rules post Dec 31
I wouldn't assume anything yet until 'the fat lady sings'. Then it will take time for the information to filter down to those in the UK advising and those in the EU enforcing throughout the 27 countries.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 09:19   #3
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Technically time at sea may or may not Be considered , but U.K. citizens will now as third country residents have to stamp their Passports arrival and departure

If you therefore simply leave one eu country and arrive at another , you are not normally viewed as having left the EU at all. Hence the immigration officer is under no obligation to deduct the time at sea. ( in practice he or she has no idea how you got to your destination )

Hence these dates are the ones that will be used but it’s unlikely if there is no non EU country in between , they don’t normally deduct any days in between.

Note it’s 90 days in any 180. You can dice it up anyway you like.

As for “ checking “ as I said unless changed by arrangement , U.K. citizens will have to specifically clear in and out of their arrival and departure ports. Just ask your nearby American !!
Old 08-12-2020, 09:24   #4

Boat: been sitting it out

no idea, Haddock, as this brexit thing is a hugely a huge mess

however, my feeling is that it will not take long for tracing apps to become a thing...
wolfgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 09:25   #5
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
I wouldn't assume anything yet until 'the fat lady sings'. Then it will take time for the information to filter down to those in the UK advising and those in the EU enforcing throughout the 27 countries.

Pete

The desk is very “ light “ and largely deals with tariffs on food and goods, cross recognition of certification and other non contentious issues.

Oh and fishing and how to slap the U.K. wrists when they break the rules. !!

I’ve not heard that any special residency rules are being considered and I understand guidance has already been issued on that.

Some countries like Greece have been handing out residency cards like sweets to U.K. citizens while they still are EU citizens
Old 08-12-2020, 09:26   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post

As for “ checking “ as I said unless changed by arrangement , U.K. citizens will have to specifically clear in and out of their arrival and departure ports. Just ask your nearby American !!
Interesting. So as you check in on arrival at Mabelle you also need check out when you leave? Currently don't need to do this just provide last port and next destination when you check in. So our "American" friends need to check out of Mabelle even if they are just heading up the road to Valencia?
Old 08-12-2020, 09:28   #7
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Interesting. So as you check in on arrival at Mabelle you also need check out when you leave? Currently don't need to do this just provide last port and next destination when you check in. So our "American" friends need to check out of Mabelle even if they are just heading up the road to Valencia?

No there is only a requirement to check in on arrival into the country once and when you leave. You can then sail the coast as you require ( with your 90 day clock running )

In practice it can often be awkward to get exit stamps which doesn’t help your 90 day clock
Old 08-12-2020, 09:35   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

If the Brits are treated like the rest of the world then the clock starts the moment someone stamps your passport. And as GBN noted, time at sea is usually not deducted, even extended periods

According to reports of trans-Atlantic cruisers even after checking in at the Azores and then sailing offshore to Europe the 10-14 days at sea is still counted as time in Schengen.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 09:39   #9

Quote:
No there is only a requirement to check in on arrival into the country once and when you leave. You can then sail the coast as you require ( with your 90 day clock running )

In practice it can often be awkward to get exit stamps which doesn’t help your 90 day clock
OK got it. So if I intend to sail in Spain or I guess any of the Schengen countries, after checking in to Marbella I would not need to check out until I leave the Spain/Schengen area and all the time the clock is ticking?
Old 08-12-2020, 09:40   #10
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
If the Brits are treated like the rest of the world then the clock starts the moment someone stamps your passport. And as GBN noted, time at sea is usually not deducted, even extended periods

According to reports of trans-Atlantic cruisers even after checking in at the Azores and then sailing offshore to Europe the 10-14 days at sea is still counted as time in Schengen.

Yes immigration officers tend not to be that interested in your cruising log , jolly offshore stories or such.

Stamp stamp etc , if you check in to an EU country and arrive without a non intervening EU country in the way it will all be considered as you never leaving the EU. Even if you sailed the wrong way round the world on the way.
Old 08-12-2020, 09:43   #11
Nearly an old salt

I’ve a bit of an inside insight into the Brexit deal. To my knowledge there are no extensions for tourists from the U.K. there are some provisions aimed at U.K. long residents in EU countries , but many of these are country specific
Old 08-12-2020, 09:49   #12

Quote:
if you check in to an EU country and arrive without a non intervening EU country in the way it will all be considered as you never leaving the EU. Even if you sailed the wrong way round the world on the way.
So........ After leaving Marbella I sail down to Tunisia and check in (intervening country) I then sail the delightful anchorages of Sardinia, Corsica and the Italian coast but don't go to a marina. At what point would the authorities say I have arrived back in the EU? When I do eventually check in to Capri for some well deserved caviar and vintage Moet?
Old 08-12-2020, 09:58   #13
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: EU Entry: When does the clock start

Quote:
So........ After leaving Marbella I sail down to Tunisia and check in (intervening country) I then sail the delightful anchorages of Sardinia, Corsica and the Italian coast but don't go to a marina. At what point would the authorities say I have arrived back in the EU? When I do eventually check in to Capri for some well deserved caviar and vintage Moet?
I think you will find that the Guardia boats will be patrolling the coasts and checking boats at anchor.. the drug and illegal refugee situation ans all that.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 10:12   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

I think it's less of a question when they find out...It's more the question what happens when they find out - after all you crossed the borders illegally by not going directly to a port of entry and checking in. I don't know how the italian authorities handle this, but the croation ones will fine every person on board with several thousand euros...
barnab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 10:21   #15

Schengen 90 day visa waiver is based on entry/exit stamps in the holder's passport. Dates are inclusive so count all the calendar days. This is not very complicated.
greenlantern is offline   Reply With Quote