Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-11-2008, 09:35   #61
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
Zanshin, I agree with Peter - what is unimportant to one person is essential to somebody else. Would I drive a car without air conditioning on a hot day? Only if I had no other choice. Would I take an extended cruise in the Caribbean without a dodger/bimini, screens, fans, autopilot, chart plotter, SSB, refrigeration, an Epirb, a good stereo, watermaker, first rate ground tackle, a decent inflatable with outboard, a series drogue and adequate spares, etc? Again, only if I had no other choice.

Fortunately I (and many others), do have the choice and have found that all of the above add not only to convenience, but also to the pleasure/safety of cruising. Remember, we are supposed to be having a good time and, in my opinion, anything which increases the practicality/safety/comfort of your vessel should be given serious consideration.

Having said all of that, one can go cruising on a boat with no engine, sitting headroom, no head, a single burner stove, no chartplotter, no dodger, no bimini, no screens, no fans, no radio, no self-steering gear, heck - no electricity (using kerosene lamps)! If one follows your interpretation of this thread, I suspect the real answer would be a boat, a compass, some charts and an anchor with about a 100 foot rode and a short chain leader.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 09:43   #62

Boat: Jeanneau 57
Hmm... you have a point; if it were taken to extremes an absolutely minimalistic boat would suffice. I just read a lot of posts detailing items that were, by anyone's definition, "nice to have" luxury items and nothing directly to do with tropical climes or necessities.
Zanshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 16:14   #63

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
Hmm... you have a point; if it were taken to extremes an absolutely minimalistic boat would suffice. I just read a lot of posts detailing items that were, by anyone's definition, "nice to have" luxury items and nothing directly to do with tropical climes or necessities.

I cruised short distances in a 18ft boat in my twenties. No way I could tolerate that now.

My necessity list changes the softer (older) I get.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 06:14   #64
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
I did the camping thing when I was 40. It was great, but now I am closing in on 60, and I want a lot of unneeded things. My comfort zone has gone skyhigh, and I will take along what I can afford.

I prefer to reach into the fridge, and pull out a cold one without lugging 50lbs of block ice to the boat that will be gone in less than a week. I like seeing where the boat is on my chart plotter, so I don't have to use my brain. I still know how to use s,d,&t. I know how to do a set if needed.

I had no windlass when I started the first time. I bought a manual to save my aching back along the way. Now I have 2 electric ones to do the dirty work. We all get through life differently on land & at sea.

I met a fellow in Puerta Vallarta who summed it up. I want to sail the world like Magellan. He took every bit of latest technology with him. I will too, and if that means an ice maker, and a blender for drinks. Then that's the way it will be.....LOLOL
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 12:14   #65

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
I met a fellow in Puerta Vallarta who summed it up. I want to sail the world like Magellan. He took every bit of latest technology with him. I will too, and if that means an ice maker, and a blender for drinks. Then that's the way it will be.....LOLOL
I like that.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 10:19   #66

Boat: searching for a 40-45 foot cruiser
any thoughts on whether a series drogue or sea anchor has been more or less usefull in rough weather in the caribbean?
SailingPassage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 10:36   #67
Back to the game

Boat: Pearson Countess 44 wannabe
i2fro is just having fun
Old 07-01-2009, 10:51   #68

some kind of chain claw to avoid noises from the anchor chain on
the bow roll. When you are sleeping in the bow this can make you
sleep better.
lampe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 11:39   #69
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingPassage View Post
any thoughts on whether a series drogue or sea anchor has been more or less usefull in rough weather in the caribbean?
SP,

You might conceivably need one of those on your trip across the Atlantic to the Caribbean, but I can't imagine needing a drogue or sea anchor once you're here. The islands are a day-sail apart, with a couple that are overnight passages. You can easily pick your weather. Unless you plan on running from hurricanes, spend your money on something else, IMHO.
Old 07-01-2009, 16:37   #70

Boat: 1953 McGruer 33' and 1949 Vertue V26
It's really interesting to read what you western cousins are doing in the Carib and much of it seems to match the requirements in the Med (hot and sunny!)
Impossible without a bimini/sun cream.
Can't anchor and get ashore without a dinghy.
Can't anchor without a good anchor (just bought a Rocna).
Wind scoops can help below decks and are cheap.
Refrigerator for the necessities of life (beer - doh!!!!!!)

Jim
Siempre
Jim Newman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 17:16   #71

Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest
Great Thread, Great information ! I have only done charters in the BVI. I am retiring this year and would like to eventually take an extended cruise in the Bahamas, Carribean on my vessel.

I have most of the gear mentioned in this thread, but I don't have an all chain rode.
I believe I have about 35 feet of chain on each of my anchors ( 1 spade and 2 Danforths)...How critical is the all chain rode? Does it rise to the level of "Must haves" ? and are my anchor selections appropriate?

Thanks,

Tempest..
Tempest245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 19:13   #72

Tempest...I would say 100ft. of chain to start is mandatory for coral areas and if your Spade is an oversized primary you will be fine with your present set up.

camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 00:30   #73

Boat: searching for a 40-45 foot cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
SP,
Unless you plan on running from hurricanes, spend your money on something else, IMHO.

God help me if I have to run from a hurricane. Don't most people haul out or head North/South durring hurricane season or are there a good few hardy souls who stick out the season with great knowledge of hurricane holes?
SailingPassage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 04:12   #74

Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest
Cam, Thanx!
Tempest245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 04:24   #75
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingPassage View Post
God help me if I have to run from a hurricane. Don't most people haul out or head North/South durring hurricane season or are there a good few hardy souls who stick out the season with great knowledge of hurricane holes?
Most do haul out or take their boats "out of the box", either south or north. I've kept my boat strapped down to yard anchors in Grenada and twice in Antigua, now. Some rely on the hurricane holes, but the good spots fill up. The locals know where they are, so the new-comers can't depend on finding a good spot if the need arises.