Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-08-2015, 19:43   #76

Boat: Westsail 32
Re: Erika is a naughty girl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Re: Hurricane evacuation, I lived in Richmond Hill near Savannah for a few years, and I hurri-evaced twice, and I think Savannah hasn't been hit in a century and a half?
Direct hit, yes, I think so. In 1893 a hurricane formed south of the Cape Verde Islands, as they do. This one came straight across the Atlantic and slammed into Savannah as a Category 3 hurricane. It killed 2000 people (the number isn't known) and sank every ship in the harbour.

NOAA says that will happen again--when the conditions are right. There's a thing called the Great Permanent North Atlantic High that covers the N Atlantic. The hurricanes curve around the bottom of this thing, and in 1893 it covered the ocean so the 'cane came straight across along its lower edge and directly into Savannah.

That being said, note the track of Erika as it crossed the ocean, the way it's similarly straight. And note, there's another 'cane forming off Africa similarly starting on its way across.

Hurricanes have threatened Savannah and come close. NOAA counts it a hit statistically when a hurricane comes within 150(?) miles of a place.
Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2015, 05:29   #77
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post

It is as some have pointed out un-natural to live near a sea shore and live under sea level...
Tell that to the Dutch...

;-)

Jon Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2015, 19:37   #78

Boat: Westsail 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
As a side note, Most of Katrinas damage was caused by flooding and not the storm per se. Up to 16 foot level when the levees broke.
Here's some hearsay. NOAA's official statement says that Katrina's storm surge was 28 feet high. I know two people who went in on the day after Katrina hit to pump out basements and help however they could. They both went into the coast 30 miles to one side of New Orleans, near where the eye came ashore. Both of them said the same thing: Where they were, the residents pointed to water marks on the buildings, the storm surge was 42 feet above sea level.
Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2015, 23:16   #79
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seymore View Post
Here's some hearsay. NOAA's official statement says that Katrina's storm surge was 28 feet high. I know two people who went in on the day after Katrina hit to pump out basements and help however they could. They both went into the coast 30 miles to one side of New Orleans, near where the eye came ashore. Both of them said the same thing: Where they were, the residents pointed to water marks on the buildings, the storm surge was 42 feet above sea level.
Katrina's official high water mark was 34.1' above mean high water. By comparison Hurricans Sandy was 18'.

It's possible that there was localized higher water, but mor elikely is they were wrong about how high they are. Remember in Louisiana the land sinks over time. So just because it was measured at 40' years ago doesn't mean that's what it is now.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2015, 23:51   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Eisberg View Post
Tell that to the Dutch...

;-)

Actually, when you run the numbers it is VERY UNNATURAL to live below sea level in a coastal region.

2015 population estimates:

Netherlands: 16.9 million
New Orleans: 384 thousand
Total: 17.3 million

The World: 7.3 billion

Thus, roughly 99.76% of the world population lives at or above sea level.

It's sometimes wise to think in real numbers.
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2015, 18:28   #81

I am embarrassed by my fellow human beings who's disregard of other humans based on their location or economic status in someway indicates intelligence, God forbid you ever had to walk a mile in their shoes, where you end up all depends on where you start, some of you guys had good parents, some did't! Be thankful you did! My last very sarcastic post was deleted I hope that this one survives.
sartorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2015, 18:57   #82
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortClydeMe View Post
Actually, when you run the numbers it is VERY UNNATURAL to live below sea level in a coastal region.

2015 population estimates:

Netherlands: 16.9 million
New Orleans: 384 thousand
Total: 17.3 million

The World: 7.3 billion

Thus, roughly 99.76% of the world population lives at or above sea level.

It's sometimes wise to think in real numbers.
Again, my point was that to the Dutch, I doubt they view their way of life as "unnatural"...

But you're right, of course... Hell, by simply dealing in real numbers, there are few things more "unnatural" than the intention to cruise the world on a Hinckley, or Little Harbor...

;-)
Jon Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2015, 19:33   #83
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

I am a huge fan of the Dutch after living there for a few years.

A small country you can cross in a day, their strength is in their adaptability!

Be it an attitude of learning all the languages of their neighbors, or reclaiming much needed land from the sea in a multifunctional way to boost their maritime transport industry.

The Dutch have transformed huge wasteland areas into a magnificent tropical flower industry under greenhouses.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 01:05   #84

Boat: 45ft Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
I am a huge fan of the Dutch after living there for a few years.
A small country you can cross in a day, their strength is in their adaptability!
Very adaptable - they became the tallest nation in the world presumably to avoid risk of drowning.
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 01:35   #85
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

LOL.....
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote