Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-02-2010, 03:43   #31

Boat: Oceanis 411
boy - I'm soaking this up - great stuff guys thanks.
Quote:
I always carry a kedge anchor on the stern rail, shackled to rode that is ready to pay out
Great idea.
What weight & type anchor would you suggest for a 41' beneteau - and how much rode?
Old 15-02-2010, 05:16   #32
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"
I carry a 300' at transom neatly coiled in a mesh bag made just for this and a rather large danforth to use as kedge. As mentioned earlier having it at the ready for immediate deployment can save your butt in some situations. With two anchors with rodes run to winches I've literally dragged Magic off of hard groundings. I'm not averse to using it for some docking situations also. Having a line strategically placed to use as a brake can avoid headaches.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2010, 07:12   #33

Sounds like you've probably already figured this out, but I'll mention it anyway.

When motoring into/out of harbors/marinas always have at least one sail ready to deploy. when the motor dies you just might need a sail up and drawing real quick. An anchor ready to deploy can also be the difference between a hassle or a shipwreck.

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2010, 07:48   #34

Boat: Lidgard 50ft performance cat/ Canados50s
Send a message via Skype™ to beneteau-500
strike me aray bruce (fraidnot) now an aussie who don't know how to fix and sort his donkey out so is your engine a yanmar 56 hp engine as i have herd the diaphragm in the lift pump does go on these and sucks air ?
beneteau-500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2010, 14:04   #35

Boat: Offshore 8 metre
Quote:
Originally Posted by FraidNot View Post
Great info guys - thanks very much - this is helping my peace of mind!

I have a lot of faith in the motor - it was handled with kid gloves by last owners - the oil spectral analysis came up very well and it hasn't missed a beat in the 6 months I've had it. I've change oil and fuel/oil filters - and all fuel goes in via racor pouring filter etc etc.
I'm assuming that if it does fail - the most likely, and first thing to change is the fuel filter on the fuel tank (I have one on board) - if so - then the short run back to Green Island - change filter and see how that goes.

I think VMR is probably better, given advice above - than me using the tender. Usually 10 to 15kts at Manly and some current.
Anyone know how much a VMR tow costs ??
Hi
I do not want to come across as an expert because I am not. However I do think you have to approach this theoretical problem differently. You need to develop understanding of all your boat systems because sooner or later something will go wrong. Things do break on boats and you need to have the know how and the confidence to get out of the situation or else you will stay close to rescue all the time and never really set sail.
For example we practice picking up our mooring under sail in anticipation of engine cutting out on approach to mooring.
If engine cuts out why?
Is fuel getting to the engine - do you know how to check?
Is your fuel tank clean and have you plenty fuel?
Any time my engine has cut out (very uncomfortable feeling!!!), it has been because of fuel blockage.
I may not be putting my point across well. If you are master of the ship you sail, you are responsible for the safety of your crew. You can only relax and enjoy your sailing if you know how to cope in most situations. don't rely on others coming to your aid - your starting point should be; I am going to learn to deal with any imagined tricky situations myself.
Good luck and good sailing!

Tags
engine