Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-10-2021, 09:46   #1

Engine corrosion

This is a general question on engine condition. I've been looking for quite a while for a 30' sailboat via CL. When I come across photos like the following I don't consider the boat due to engine corrosion. Is this significant deterioration of the engine or superficial? Is it a case of don't judge an engine by it's photo? Thanks for any input and I'm not interested in this particular boat. It's just an example.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Engine #1.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	246619   Click image for larger version

Name:	Engine2.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	246620  

Capt Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 10:14   #2

Re: Engine corrosion

Looks pretty significant to me. Must be a salt water leak getting on there. But that doesn't mean it can't be cleaned up and be ok. It's difficult work but doable. If it runs well it's probably ok if you get to it soon. Cast iron is usually pretty durable.
Maybe that rocker cover is aluminum and the head is cast iron causing that to get so ugly with the intrusion of salt water?
I wonder how much a new rocker cover is?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 11:58   #3

Re: Engine corrosion

What this demonstrates is a lack of interest on the part of the owner. Photo 1 didn't happen overnight due to a small leak, what you're seeing is neglect. When I'm looking at a boat I'm checking all the areas that require extra effort to maintain - the prop shaft, the battery connections, the lower reaches of the engine, the electric wiring, the genset cabinet, etc. There are plenty of older boats on yacht world where the owner clearly invests time and money into keeping their boat in great shape, and it's readily visible. The example you cited, in my opinion, is just a hint at the overall lack of maintenance.

Tags
corrosion, engine