Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-12-2020, 09:51   #1

Eleuthera vs Andros-still looking

Have done the Exumas twice out of Nassau. (ill happily do again). Looking to change things up a little. Between the Exumas and Key West I feel I'm getting accustom to sailing in shallow water areas..lol Still don't know if I'm up for the"Devils Backbone"..My priorities in this order 1) good deep sea fishing 2) solid snorkelling-doesnt have to knock socks off (Exumas I gave a B+) The plus is due to the plane at Normans and the Grotto. 3) good winds I love sailing with a Gin and Tonic and a fishing line in the wake.. So from Nassau Andros or Eleuthra and why. PS. notice nightlife wasn't on list-fresh fish a bottle of wine and I'm in my bunk Thanks for sharing your experiences and opinions.
docwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2020, 10:16   #2

Boat: Hatteras CPMY 63’
Re: Eleuthera vs Andros-still looking

OK, I’ll be the party pooper who suggests that drinking gin while sailing a boat is perhaps not such a good idea...... Irregardless of whether you get caught.
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2020, 10:30   #3

I see your point. I will counter with a) I sip and also drink alot of water-till the anchor goes down b) Like to think no ones going to make me blow off Allens Cay. But you are right drunkedness and sailing could cost you a finger or an unexpected swim.
Old 16-12-2020, 14:46   #4

Boat: Oyster 55

Have been to both and have not been impressed with either.
However maybe I was not in the right places.
Fresh Creek on Andros is a bit painful with the current but there are some old docks you can tie up to free of charge. The place is a bit impoverished compared to the rest of the Bahamas. You can get off the boat and look around but not much to see. Only spent a few days there then headed down to the Exumas.
Came up the west coast of Eleuthera and did not find the diving that attractive.
Although I would think a drift dive in the north channel there where the current runs around 4 knots would be interesting (can't remember the name of the channel sorry). Also I would like to see the Devil's backbone at least in calm weather which may be fantastic for diving. But yet to experience it.
With you being tired of the Exumas ( not much left of that plane anyway) maybe you need to experience the outer islands. One of my favorite places in the Bahamas and the Caribbean for the matter is Conception Island.
If that doesn't work just have another Gin.
caradow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2020, 15:37   #5

I like the Exumas-great fishing windward, and run over to nice anchorages at night. Just was wondering if the other two are worth the adventure. One couple with us has had one saila nd it wasn't the greatest. Take people through one tropical storm and they complain..lol Got my chart book for Eleuthera and didn't excite me. Harbour Island which seems to be a highlight seems difficult to get to. Thinking about staying off Egg Island, Pimlico, and running around north to Spanish Wells and back again. Some deeper water for fishing that way. Going south seems like long days of sailing in shallower water without much snorkeling or fishing. Thanks for your input. It is appreciated. PS I'm saving my diving dollars for USVI/BVI
Old 16-12-2020, 15:43   #6

Location: Occasionally in Colorado. Generally live-aboard. Eastern Caribbean for the upcoming season. Nova Scotia and Newfoundland again next summer.
Boat: Antares 44i

We spent a bit of time on the west side of Eleuthera. Everyone we talked with complained about the visibility diving there.

Abacos? There is certainly some variety up there.
dougweibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2020, 15:56   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

I had always thought Andros would be great diving and is/was on my list to visit. It is said to have the second largest barrier reef in the world. But a friend cruised the east coast a few years ago and was not impressed, at least with the diving.

I think my next Bahamas trip might include the Jumentos
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2020, 16:17   #8

Boat: Cruising Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
I had always thought Andros would be great diving and is/was on my list to visit. It is said to have the second largest barrier reef in the world. But a friend cruised the east coast a few years ago and was not impressed, at least with the diving.

It's not much further to great diving off Turks and Caicos, can be done in day trips with right weather. Covid may be an issue though.
Tin Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2020, 17:42   #9

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

Eluthera is nice, but hard to see much in a week. Current cut is a good ride, queens bath is nice to see. Spanish wells is nice, but in a golf cart you can see everything in about 30 minutes.
Little egg looks like it would be fantastic snorkelling. I've anchored there twice and both times it was too rough to check out the reef.
Have you thought about the berries? Very close to Nassau, lots of gunk holing, good snorkelling and pretty quiet. It is shallow though, so caution is needed. Oh, and good fishing is had on the way and in the cuts.
I havent been to Andros, so I have no comments for that.
Good luck
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2020, 18:10   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Tin View Post
It's not much further to great diving off Turks and Caicos, can be done in day trips with right weather. Covid may be an issue though.
Haven't been to the T&C for almost 40 years but when I stopped at Provo we dove the most beautiful reefs I've seen in the north Atlantic. Are they still that nice?
Old 16-12-2020, 18:55   #11

Boat: Oyster 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post

Yes the Jumentos
I have heard much about them. Not been there.
Great reefs, lots of fish. Also lots of sharks but heck it's their home.
Apparently the local fishing boats stop in whatever small anchorages there are and clean their catch on a regular basis so the sharks are used to getting fed.
Also guess it's great as long as you go in settled weather. Apparently no place to hang in a blow.
It's on my list!

As far as the BVI's/USVI's go I find them over crowded and the reefs are not very impressive. But non-the-less there are some beautiful spots. Maybe now is the time to go before covid goes away. However check the hoops you have to jump through to visit the BVI's currently.

I do like the Berry's but again in settled weather.
By Skipmac's picture looks like he is hanging out in Curacao which is fine for diving as well as Bonaire.
Anyway docwood there are many places to go and each an adventure. I would like to be in any of those places right now cause i am sitting in my house with a frigging snow storm howling out side.
caradow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2020, 19:09   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by caradow View Post
Yes the Jumentos
I have heard much about them. Not been there.
Great reefs, lots of fish. Also lots of sharks but heck it's their home.
Apparently the local fishing boats stop in whatever small anchorages there are and clean their catch on a regular basis so the sharks are used to getting fed.

By Skipmac's picture looks like he is hanging out in Curacao which is fine for diving as well as Bonaire.
Anyway docwood there are many places to go and each an adventure. I would like to be in any of those places right now cause i am sitting in my house with a frigging snow storm howling out side.
Skipmac isn't hanging in Curacao but went in Feb. Got back just before the virus hit the fan. Was definitely the nicest diving, nicest coral I've seen in years. Bahamas nor BVI were even close.

CT huh. Have a good friend in Essex. Talked to him this morning he had just filled all his jerry cans with gas and was testing his backup generator. Expecting this nor'easter to hit hard. Meanwhile in FL I'm starting bottom paint tomorrow and hope to launch before New Years.
Old 17-12-2020, 09:24   #13

Went to Eluethra in 2019. Anchored off the west side for a week in March. Best place I found and would go back to was Governors harbor. Interesting town. Great fish fry on Friday night, that gives you lots of local flavor. An easy walk to the east side ocean and I experienced great snorkeling from the beach. At one time there was a resort here...but it was destroyed in a storm some time ago. I also agree that the queen baths and the window are worth seeing. I also anchored up in rock sound. Went to the blue hole and snorkeled. Unbelievable if you like swimming with fish. Not too much in the way of services.
khuber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2020, 09:41   #14

If you want an island to yourself then Conception is the place to be. It is uninhabited and a sanctuary for birds and turtles. Stunningly beautiful.
Stewie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2020, 12:47   #15
Marine Service Provider

There is no such word as "Irregardless" in the English language. In fact my spell-checker doesn't like it either. The proper word here would be just plain old, simple "regardless."
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote