Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-06-2020, 00:58   #16

Re: Electric Outboard Theft Appeal

Our outboard was chained and padlocked to the aft rail
Michael Cobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2020, 04:25   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelhemington View Post
I'd be more worried about theft here in the states than any third world port. These electric motors are great for inner harbor transport but would be worthless on a 16' fishing skiff
International kiwi, Peter Blake killed in third wold country by unemployed thieves with guns.
Yoty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2020, 06:58   #18

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoty View Post
International kiwi, Peter Blake killed in third wold country by unemployed thieves with guns.
For his electric outboard?
Old 23-06-2020, 07:29   #19

Boat: 2012 Tartan 47

I would agree that our Torqeedo is LARGELY reliable. I have a set of small wire brushes that I use on all of the connector pins and receiver holes and a can of electrical contact cleaner that I use as part of the electric motor setup ritual.That nearly always results in a good connection. I still sometimes have to unscrew and reinstall the connectors to get a connection. On occasion, the motor craps out while running and gives an error message. I have always been able to restart it, however, and have never had to row home.

I have two batteries. One is the 915ah extended range version. For our tooling around, we have plenty of range.

I don't believe that nocturnal marauders set out for the night hoping to score a Torqeedo. I believe that they DO seek out gas outboards. That said, thieves are thieves. They have been known to take anything that is easy to take. Make your Torqeedo less than an easy target per the suggestions above and it is FAR less likely to be stolen.
RichandHelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 15:16   #20

Boat: Amazon 49 cutter, custom steel boat built in Surrey, Canada

I would think that the Torqueedo is not a theft target.

For us, it's also not a good choice as a dinghy motor. Your choice, but I wouldn't have one for cruising. There are too many times that I need to go longer distances in our tender to consider the Torqueedo.

Cheers!

Steve
steve77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 15:27   #21

Boat: Farr 50 Pilothouse

I would be using it as a short distance motor to get to shore to walk the dog and as a backup for the big 4 stroke I have. I ended up ordering a ePropulsion Spirit 1.0 Plus.
Muaddib1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 15:57   #22

Boat: LAGOON 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muaddib1116 View Post
I would be using it as a short distance motor to get to shore to walk the dog and as a backup for the big 4 stroke I have. I ended up ordering a ePropulsion Spirit 1.0 Plus.
that is my plan. To buy 9.9 hp 2 or 4 stroke. However so far, we found no need for it and happy with T 1003 as primary outboard. I may change my opinion but so far really enjoying many advantages of electric motor. We didnt find any need that would need to travel more than 3 nm one way at ~3kn so far. Only thing i have second thoughts is in croc country. Would prefer something noisier. Last thing i want it to surprise croc.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 18:50   #23

Boat: Cape Dory 30c
Re: Electric Outboard Theft Appeal- Guide to Using the Torqeedo

I would love to know about passaging with dinghy in davits. Thanks
Mara Mae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 18:57   #24

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mara Mae View Post

Plenty of discussion on this topic, but the general advice seems to be try to avoid it if you can.
Old 05-10-2021, 19:51   #25

Boat: Farr 50 Pilothouse

Quote:
As GILow said, there are a lot of discussion on this topic already. That being said, it depends on a lot of factors, the size of your boat, the size of your davits, the size of your dinghy, how high the davits carry the dinghy, your confidence in your weather windows, etc. In general, on passages where you might run into unexpected bad weather (which usually means offshore passages over 4 days), you probably want to strap the dinghy to the foredeck, since it could be very dangerous to try to move it from the davits to the foredeck after the weather hits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenelupiga View Post
that is my plan. To buy 9.9 hp 2 or 4 stroke. However so far, we found no need for it and happy with T 1003 as primary outboard. I may change my opinion but so far really enjoying many advantages of electric motor. We didnt find any need that would need to travel more than 3 nm one way at ~3kn so far. Only thing i have second thoughts is in croc country. Would prefer something noisier. Last thing i want it to surprise croc.
Now that I've had some experience with my recent summer cruise, I'm quite happy with my epropulsion spirit 1.0 plus and my suzuki 20hp 4stroke. In harbors with lots of boats around and where I didn't have far to go to walk the dog, I liked using the epropulsion motor because of how quiet it was. But it was definitely nice to have the big motor to zip over longer distances if I was anchored far from a good place to walk my dog, or far from a town I wanted to visit.
Muaddib1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 08:48   #26

Boat: Nauticat 43 ketch

Quote:

Offshore? Most recreational boats do not have davits high enough or strong enough for high winds and waves.

Coastal or In Shore waters? Sure, in settled conditions.
SV__Grace is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, outboard